Mugatu’s Souvenirs, Novelties, Party Tricks: LIVE FIRE E11

Re: My In Progress OB1 ANH (some) Real Parts Build

UPDATE on the Exactra 20 Bubble Strip:

AC72C99E-CC56-4382-B385-D4CD2AD3451B.jpeg

FA7C4612-B052-4F9F-8B1A-268481BD498A.jpeg

Does this mean they are the All Round bubbles?

Also:

A843CA8C-4469-4E83-8F58-3D4A12578047.jpeg

Luke ESB and OB1 (in progress)!

Last edited:

You lucky *******! You got the one used for the Vader saber! I mean the Exactra!

You lucky *******! You got the one used for the Vader saber! I mean the Exactra!

I've said before, I too have the vader one... willing to trade for real exactra of the clear variety...

Looking good Andy! Yes, those seem to be the all round bubbles indeed.

I swapped out the glass eye for the right button and even swapped out that bad photo for a good one up top! Thanks for keeping me honest, guys.

This was just posted on facebook in the STAR WARS rare vintage photos group ... taken on a field trip back in 1975 :

Are these all Rolls Royce Derwent Jet-engines?

Chaim

Indeed mugatu ... those are the all round bubbles as I suspected ... you obly need to trim the sides to make them fit into a G R A F L E X clamp :)

Chaim

If I were you I would use this on a Vader replica or trade it for a clear one. But that's just my opinion. Also you could buy another Exactra and have one of each for the Vader (you know the Vader is coming).

This was just posted on facebook in the STAR WARS rare vintage photos group ... taken on a field trip back in 1975 :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Balance Pipes_zpsheszgv8r.jpg

Are these all Rolls Royce Derwent Jet-engines?

Chaim

Damn! I don't know...I've only ever seen them stripped of any outer layers. With them stacked like that, it looks a bit like pod racer engines sitting there. I've got to stop wishing I had a time machine.

View attachment 471376
These are the two real Exactra bubbles I own.

Roy, these are both from a 20? I wonder what the cause was for them to switch not only the bubble frosting but also the PCB boards and what looks like the circuit layout. Man, the 60's and 70's were so awesome. Always blazing new technological trails and no regard for keeping record of things. It must've been great to be a manufacturer back then.

Indeed mugatu ... those are the all round bubbles as I suspected ... you obly need to trim the sides to make them fit into a G R A F L E X clamp :)

Chaim

This is great news. As you can see from my handiwork, the less precision (and work) required at this point, the better for the prop. Thanks, Chaim.

If I were you I would use this on a Vader replica or trade it for a clear one. But that's just my opinion. Also you could buy another Exactra and have one of each for the Vader (you know the Vader is coming).

That's a good idea. I think Neorutty and I both could use the clear kind then.
Plus, I think Vader is far off for me. Tracking down an MPP is crazy difficult, and expensive, and I may need that first MPP for another venture...

I think I know that venture. Anyway, maybe someone is going to make some accurate MPPs in a near, or no so near, future so who knows.

Roy, these are both from a 20? I wonder what the cause was for them to switch not only the bubble frosting but also the PCB boards and what looks like the circuit layout. Man, the 60's and 70's were so awesome. Always blazing new technological trails and no regard for keeping record of things. It must've been great to be a manufacturer back then.

Yep, both Exactra 20. Maybe they switched suppliers, or maybe they had multiple production facilities. Who knows. I might have to do a new run on the bubbles; I'm running low. I may consider injection molding this time: to get them as crisp as the real ones.

I wonder what the cause was for them to switch not only the bubble frosting but also the PCB boards and what looks like the circuit layout. Man, the 60's and 70's were so awesome. Always blazing new technological trails and no regard for keeping record of things. It must've been great to be a manufacturer back then.

From what I've heard - electronics manufacturing back then was an ever changing scene. The public really didn't care, as long as the numbers lit up on their calculators, so TI tried to race other companies in perfecting and trying new chips, board material, and such, right guys?

Also, FABULOUS work on these sabers. I see what you mean on the bottom of your grenade. It's in fantastic condition though :)

Came back for another look. Great looking lightsaber. How far are you going to go with the weathering?

Came back for another look. Great looking lightsaber. How far are you going to go with the weathering?

Thanks, James Kenobi 1138.

As I've put this together so far, it has sort of felt to me like this (once totally completed) should be extremely weathered. The finish on the grenade initially was a bit more pock-marked up than I was expecting/hoping for. But now, I think the look of the grenade really is my preference. So, I'm going for this to end up looking like a real relic, to match the grenade.

I have swapped out the clamp already for another that a previous owner had apparently done some work to. I'll post a pic of that later...somebody did a serious number on the repairs, but I think they actually work for this saber.

I also widened some washers for my transistors, but I'm not sure the circumference of the washers is small enough. I'll post those photos too, as I really need the expertise of some of you vets here.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back