MTT - Episode I in 3D = part ID

joewhite

Sr Member
The 3D was cool but the $30 for the family and I to watch it was bad. The coolest thing, though, was that I noticed two donor parts used on the rear of the MTT (Multi-Troop Transport).....the brown elephant looking transport that carries the battle droids.

I'm not sure if anyone ever noticed this. I never did because I haven't watched the DVD since before I got into SS models. Plus, I didn't buy the Blu-Rays. I'm sure I would have seen it there.

Anyway, I noticed two 1/72 Leopold parts were used on the rear of the MTT. All six of my Leopold kits are too far buried in my closet at the moment to check part numbers but they are the same parts used on the top and bottom of the TIE Bomber wing strut. See pic below. Look for the scene where the MTT hovers off after almost running over Qui Gon and Jar-Jar.

The screen MTT could be based off of a concept model....I'm not sure. I've always wanted to build it and the fact that there may have been a version which used donor kits makes it even more desirable.

leoparts.jpg

Joe

Thanks, ozzy. OK, I feel better about spending $30......yikes, twice that amount?

It was funny...after noticing the parts, I lost interest in the movie and just wanted to come home and I'd parts! :)

Joe

Thanks, ozzy. OK, I feel better about spending $30......yikes, twice that amount?

It was funny...after noticing the parts, I lost interest in the movie and just wanted to come home and I'd parts! :)

Joe

I am going to see it tomorrow, not one of my fav episodes, but my 13 year old son has never seen it on the big screen. I will now be searching for kit parts, LOL

ozzy

I spent 41 to get in and another 15 for pop corn and soda!! Oh well, I still enjoyed the whole experience again!

That is a nice spot on the parts joe, its good to see that kitbashing is still alive all these years later, well at least in 1999. I know these days they mainly use machined parts, if they use models at all. Damn CGI!:confused

that's what I call paying attention at the movies. nice spot.

$30 for a family is cheap compared to here. Twice that for a family.

ozzy

Agreed, 3D with digital projectors is around $17.50 each here. So gf and I, on a night out at the cinema, 3D with digital projectors (which they almost all have now) is a nice $40 with taxes (thats for TWO people).

$30 for the family... you have it niceeeee.

Edit: Popcorn, small bag is $3.50, big one is $5.50, drinks are just as much heh.

Hi Joe, just came across this thread.
All the MTT's in Ep. 1 are models! The 2 foot maquette got painted up and used as a shooting model. Also there was a larger 6 foot long version that had a motorized door, ball turrets and dressed interior, and there were little 9" versions for use in the hanger of the Trade Federation Battleship. All their details were based on the 2 footer.
If you look in between those Leopold parts on the center rail, you may also notice that there is a Honda emblem. It was put there as a joke on the maquette and dutifully copied on the other versions. The Leopold and Thor kits have always been popular with the ILM modelshop.

Thanks duncanator....yeah I was already aware of the various transport models. I had just never paid enough attention to them to want to id any possible donors. However, when I saw the Leopold parts during the 3d flick my attention suddenly became fixed on trying to id more parts! LOL! It wasn't that I didn't know about the models just that I had never really cared about them until then.

Didn't know about the Honda emblem.....that's funny!

Joe

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back