MST3K season 11

squidsicle

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Any other kickstarter backers watching season 11?
They made a TON of changes to Crow & Tom (all fantastic in my opinion).
I've read several interviews where Joel has mentioned how exciting it was to have so many new fabrication processes available to them (e.g. 3d printing, laser cutting).
Two things:
If you love the original, watch the new season. It's superlative. The models, sets, & props are wonderful.
Anyone here work on the new season? I'm assuming the lion's share of the bots are now 3D printed, etc?

Last edited:
Anyone other kickstarter backers watching season 11?
They made a TON of changes to Crow & Tom (all fantastic in my opinion).
I've read several interviews where Joel has mentioned how exciting it was to have so many new fabrication processes available to them (e.g. 3d printing, laser cutting).
Two things:
If you love the original, watch the new season. It's superlative. The models, sets, & props are wonderful.
Anyone here work on the new season? I'm assuming the lion's share of the bots are now 3D printed, etc?

there is one obvious change to crow I didn't really care for at first, now i'm not so sure if it works or not.

But one added to servo that I LOVE because it made his arms functional :).

other things i'd like to talk about but can't until tomorrow :)

I've been watching it. I don't love the technicals so far. Crow's new arms I can get used to, but the changes to Servo are not worth it in my opinion. We've lost the charming (and free!) secondary motion of his little dangling arms and replaced it with stiff puppet arms that only move when the puppeteers remember to operate them. It's a bad trade.

The camera work and performances also leave a lot to be desired, but that's a whole other issue...

I've been watching it. I don't love the technicals so far. Crow's new arms I can get used to, but the changes to Servo are not worth it in my opinion. We've lost the charming (and free!) secondary motion of his little dangling arms and replaced it with stiff puppet arms that only move when the puppeteers remember to operate them. It's a bad trade.

The camera work and performances also leave a lot to be desired, but that's a whole other issue...

i'm of the complete opposite.

Crows new giant hands just remind you that they and by extension the arms, don't move at all, when you think they'd be easier to do than servo's.

Having servo's right arm move up and down is a fun way to show that they now have a little more functionality, i think.

So far, watching a little of the show....i've seen three episodes. I think the jokes make me smile a little more than most of rifftrax's latest stuff. it feels to flow a little smoother.
I don't like that jonah gets sucked into the intro each show, as it makes little flow sense (relax, i know! but it bugs me)

I do love the new sets. and the new detail they put into the interconnecting doors to make it look like ea livable area.

I like that servo now flies in the theater.

I don't like that gypsy now just randomly pops in to deliver a zinger. it would work so much better if she interacted with the crew when there. as it is, her appearances are startling more than anything else.

I love the new music in the show. some instant classics.

Over all, I'm pleasently surprised by how much i enjoyed it, despite trepidation that it would be TOO updated.

Oh, yeah, Crow's giant hands. Those I don't like. However, in terms of his overall functionality, I don't find his new puppeteered arms to be any stiffer or more awkward than then rest of him, which is very different from Servo. It doesn't help that Baron Vaughn's performance as Servo is by far my least favorite one on the show. He never sounds natural, delivering as he does all his lines either in a rush, or with a phony theatrical flair, or both.

Oh, yeah, Crow's giant hands. Those I don't like. However, in terms of his overall functionality, I don't find his new puppeteered arms to be any stiffer or more awkward than then rest of him, which is very different from Servo. It doesn't help that Baron Vaughn's performance as Servo is by far my least favorite one on the show. He never sounds natural, delivering as he does all his lines either in a rush, or with a phony theatrical flair, or both.

yeah.

Baron and Patton i think are the weakest part of the show. Patton seems to sleep walk through it... and apart from barron's line delivery, his voice sounds too much like Jonah's and i can't tell them apart at times.

if there is a season 12, i'd love to see servo voiced by someone like kevin michael richardson ;o).
at least he'd have a deep voice again :)

Oh, the other thing i didn't like about the riffs...

inserting serious real world issues into the jokes. ' this is the nicest police beat down i ever experienced' and 'my white privelage!' sigh. we get enough of that crap online ;o)

Here's more for you to disagree with:

I love Patton. I think he's the only one on the show who's killing with his performance. Everyone else feels out of their depth to one degree or another.

I'm starting to enjoy the new theme, especially the conceit that Jonah has to do it live each time. Cute.

I do not like how many of the theme's lyrics are copied over from prior eras of the show. Give us something new.

Felecia and Patton have great chemistry but Felecia is way out of her depth playing a bad guy. She would make a much better host.

I do not like the new Gypsy. Her voice has no character, the puppeteering is bad, and she's not funny.

The show needs fewer riffs and the delivery needs to slow down. Everyone seems to be rushing everything, like the compressed production schedule spilled over into the performances.

The camera work is awful. Everything is shot flat-on, with all the actors in a straight line facing a static camera that never moves or zooms. It's ugly and looks cheap in the wrong way.

The sets look flat and bland. Compare to the old show, which had dramatic lighting and made sure there was lots of depth on the z-axis for visual interest.

I do love the new doorway sequence, though.

Confession: I stopped watching when Trace left. I Love Crow and couldn't handle the new voice.
Pearl was great, but without Dr. F...meh.
With that being said, I love Kendrick doing Crow and I agree that Hampton does sound a lot like Jonah.
Crow does seem stiff, but it reminds me of early seasons. As time goes on (i hope there is another season) I'm sure they will all "loosen up."
I think you have a lot of people reviving something that was important to them, and in doing so, they're possibly doing subtle impressions of the characters they know and love. This can maybe make them seem "stiff" or "off their game".
All in all, I'm personally really happy with it. The only thing I don't like are the moments where the jokes are coming at you like a swarm of angry bees. Seems like they're catering to a millennial attention span.

I agree about felicia being a possible host. i never heard of her before, but she's strangely adorable.

The riffs DO come out way too fast...and you don't get a chance to appreciate them. it's like they had too much sugar.

I don't mind the new Gypsy voice...but I DO mmiss the older one. it was far funnier.

i do like jonah more than i thought i would.... I am NOT a Nerdist fan. i think that organization is all about inflating chris hardwicks ego and screw the guests...so i wasn't sure what to think of jonah. but so far he's not bad.

... i think that organization is all about inflating chris hardwicks ego

I have hit a saturation point with that guy. He's everywhere. He's managed to weaponize the eclectic in the worst way possible.
Jonah has been great and Felicia IS adorable.

I only watched the first episode. I thought it was good except the weird stuff going on on the left side of the theater never paid off. Love the new tunnel to the theater. The part I thought was weird was it feels like they started filming with the possibility of commercial breaks with the Patton doing a voice over of some logo with the band going in the background. And I'm tempted to make that bubble fan.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back