Ms Marvel - Disney+

renaissance_man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've watched the first episode and enjoyed it, I liked the style with the animations to show Kamala's thoughts and fantasies, the family dynamic was a nice addition especially one that seems quite culturally traditional playing at odds to Kamala's naturalised American influences.
I liked the friendship dynamic between Kamala and Bruno.
Kudos to Laura Karpman for her score which nicely balanced the bold, heroic orchestral themes I enjoy with the dynamic eastern influence of Kamala's heritage.
You can hear the Ms Marvel suite on Laura Karpman's Youtube channel below.

A great start. Looking forward to seeing where the show goes.

Wolfsburg

Master Member
Never read the comic, never remotely cared about the show and thought the trailers looked terrible...but I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode! I don't think I'm the target audience but I thought it was very well done for what it was.

firesprite

Master Member
I absolutely loved the first episode. I've been a fan of the Ms Marvel comics for years now and I was a little worried about adapting it... not that Marvel has truly let me down as yet, but, ya know... when you love something, these are concerns.

Fortunately, the core of what I love about the comics (Kamala's heart, her relationships with her family and friends, the light-hearted FUN) all survived intact. Very excited to see where the show goes!

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
I really like it so far. I know nothing about the character though. I couldn't stand Moon Knight from Episode 1, so I'm glad it looks like they are back on track. The way the actress portrays this character make me doubt that she would not be popular. She's pretty and seems like a fun person.

firesprite

Master Member
I really like it so far. I know nothing about the character though. I couldn't stand Moon Knight from Episode 1, so I'm glad it looks like they are back on track. The way the actress portrays this character make me doubt that she would not be popular. She's pretty and seems like a fun person.
High school is not kind to young ladies who are outside the societal norms. Kamala being an Avengers fangirl on its own wouldn't be weird enough for ostracizing, but add in her being into scifi, computers, doing her own animations... also being a bit of a dork... it's a snowballing situation.

wayouteast

Sr Member
Just watched the first episode, and absolutely loved it. Hooked from the very first sequence and it was all great fun. Iman Vellani was note-perfect. And her family and friends were all great too. Really likeable and believable family dynamic. They've captured everything that's great about the comics and the visual style works terrifically well. I shall have to watch it again to pick up all the little details and easter eggs - like
Groot being called 'Mr Tree' on a tee-shirt at the con
! I think the changed source of her powers is good too. In the absence of the terragen mist in the MCU it makes sense, and it sets up quite a nice line of mystery
about her grandmother and where that scary place is that she went to when her powers manifested for the first time
. Loved the post-credits set-up for the series arc too.

Thain

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm not very familiar with Ms. Marvel, so I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed this. Feels a lot like what I love so much about Spider-Man: Homecoming, the awkward and quirky teen with big dreams dealing with life, family, and school. Some super relatable and charming moments in this episode. I was most surprised at the cinematography, the color palette and camera work especially. Everything is so vibrant and full of life! It lacks that 'grey cement filter' Marvel projects normally have and totally does its own thing visually. The animations on the surrounding environment as the kids ride their bikes, or the brilliant texting sequence using stars, neon signs, and road paint...really cool stuff.

So far, uniquely creative and imaginative start. Hope it keeps that going all the way through.

Bloop

Sr Member
Watched the first episode...it's not geared towards adults, which is fine, I guess, but it also wasn't great. My review may seem overly harsh to some, though I didn't hate it as much as you might think. I'm focusing on the negatives because it seems like no one wants to mention any of them.

Hated the direction - terrible pop-y music that will be forgotten in 4 months, ADD frenetic cuts and annoying animation. Maybe they're trying to reflect Kamala's own mindset, her inabilty to focus, with the direction, but it doesn't make it enjoyable to watch. It settled down later in the episode, so maybe they'll also tone it down in future episodes. Seemed more like they were trying hard to make a kids' show.

I think everyone's giving this show a pass because it's about a Muslim-American girl, si that automatically makes it different. I'm all for representation, but the story is pretty generic - girl with overprotective parents wants to do stuff her parents forbid, does them anyway, parents disappointed. Yawn.

Also, the superhero origin is pretty bland so far - girl idolozes heroes, suddenly becomes one when she gets superpowers in the mail. I expect we'll learn more about the origin of the bracelet, but for now, it feels like a pretty lazy way to give a character powers. I have no knowledge of the comic character, so maybe something more interesting is coming.

Other failings - the guidance councelor was unrealistic. No way someone that casual would be allowed to hold that job in a real school.

The Avengercon - has anyone involved in the show seen a real comic or sci-fi convention? Instead of taking place in a hotel or convention center, it takes place in some warehouse at night, with exclusively teens attending, like it's a rave or something. Okay, maybe in a world where superheroes exist, this is what conventions are like, but it didn't feel grounded in reality. Just seemed like they wanted to make something that would be more fun looking than a real con, and also put it only at night so Kamala's parents would have another reason to forbid her from going.

Her family is a collection of charactures:
- "Sad dad": poor Kamala's dad, his daughter made him feel bad. He tries so hard, but can't connect with his daughter.
- Super religious bro - but it's okay he's devout, because we want to show Muslims in a positive light. So he comes off as paper thin.
- Overprotective, disapproving mom: where have we seen her before? Oh yeah - in every teen tv show and movie that has come before! Cultural divide between immigrant parents and American lifestyle of daughter - also not breaking any new ground.

I will say the girl playing Kamala is very good. And her character and dialog seems written pretty well, pretty believable for an average kid with average problems. The family is bland-o though. Maybe that's a typical Muslim-Anerican family dynamic. I'm just judging it from the perspective of someone who has seen a lot of tv shows and movies that tread the same ground. Other than the animation and quick cuts (which I don't think worked), this show has started off without anything new to say. Maybe that's okay. I guess in trying to show that Muslim-Americans are just like everyone else they decided to make a basic show about a basic family. So in that respect, they're succeeding.

Last edited:

firesprite

Master Member
Watched the first episode...it's not geared towards adults, which is fine, I guess, but it also wasn't great. My review may seem overly harsh to some, though I didn't hate it as much as you might think. I'm focusing on the negatives because it seems like no one wants to mention any of them.

Hated the direction - terrible pop-y music that will be forgotten in 4 months, ADD frenetic cuts and annoying animation. Maybe they're trying to reflect Kamala's own mindset, her inabilty to focus, with the direction, but it doesn't make it enjoyable to watch. It settled down later in the episode, so maybe they'll also tone it down in future episodes. Seemed more like they were trying hard to make a kids' show.

I think everyone's giving this show a pass because it's about a Muslim-American girl, si that automatically makes it different. I'm all for representation, but the story is pretty generic - girl with overprotective parents wants to do stuff her parents forbid, does them anyway, parents disappointed. Yawn.

Also, the superhero origin is pretty bland so far - girl idolozes heroes, suddenly becomes one when she gets superpowers in the mail. I expect we'll learn more about the origin of the bracelet, but for now, it feels like a pretty lazy way to give a character powers. I have no knowledge of the comic character, so maybe something more interesting is coming.

Other failings - the guidance councelor was unrealistic. No way someone that casual would be allowed to hold that job in a real school.

The Avengercon - has anyone involved in the show seen a real comic or sci-fi convention? Instead of taking place in a hotel or convention center, it takes place in some warehouse at night, with exclusively teens attending, like it's a rave or something. Okay, maybe in a world where superheroes exist, this is what conventions are like, but it didn't feel grounded in reality. Just seemed like they wanted to make something that would be more fun looking than a real con, and also put it only at night so Kamala's parents would have another reason to forbid her from going.

Her family is a collection of charactures:
- "Sad dad": poor Kamala's dad, his daughter made him feel bad. He tries so hard, but can't connect with his daughter.
- Super religious bro - but it's okay he's devout, because we want to show Muslims in a positive light. So he comes off as paper thin.
- Overprotective, disapproving mom: where have we seen her before? Oh yeah - in every teen tv show and movie that has come before! Cultural divide between immigrant parents and American lifestyle of daughter - also not breaking any new ground.

I will say the girl playing Kamala is very good. And her character and dialog seems written pretty well, pretty believable for an average kid with average problems. The family is bland-o though. Maybe that's a typical Muslim-Anerican family dynamic. I'm just judging it from the perspective of someone who has seen a lot of tv shows and movies that tread the same ground. Other than the animation and quick cuts (which I don't think worked), this show has started off without anything new to say. Maybe that's okay. I guess in trying to show that Muslim-Americans are just like everyone else they decided to make a basic show about a basic family. So in that respect, they're succeeding.
Couple clarifications of points you seem to have missed... AvengerCon is actually being held at Camp LeHigh, AKA where Captain America went to boot camp and was "born". It was been rebuilt after it was destroyed in Winter Soldier and is, likely, being used as a tourist attraction for NJ.
1655442223995.png

The character was created by someone who actually IS Muslim-American, drawing on her own experiences growing up. There have also been a lot of people who are actually Muslim commenting on social media that this is a pretty accurate depiction of their life. If it's not landing for you, that's fine, but there is authenticity there.

Her origins here are quite different than in the comics. In the comics, she's an Inhuman and was transformed when someone released Terrigen Mist in a biological attack. Since the MCU has pretty much divorced itself from the Inhumans following the horrible television show attempt, they've had to revamp her powers and their origins some.

The second episode starts fleshing out what the bangle is and why Kamala had the reaction to it that she did.

I seriously feel like people have no capacity for being patient and letting a story play out anymore before deciding it's bad.

Last edited:

Bloop

Sr Member
Couple clarifications of points you seem to have missed... AvengerCon is actually being held at Camp LeHigh, AKA where Captain America went to boot camp and was "born". It was been rebuilt after it was destroyed in Winter Soldier and is, likely, being used as a tourist attraction for NJ.
View attachment 1588272

The character was created by someone who actually IS Muslim-American, drawing on her own experiences growing up. There have also been a lot of people who are actually Muslim commenting on social media that this is a pretty accurate depiction of their life. If it's not landing for you, that's fine, but there is authenticity there.

Her origins here are quite different than in the comics. In the comics, she's an Inhuman and was transformed when someone released Terrigen Mist in a biological attack. Since the MCU has pretty much divorced itself from the Inhumans following the horrible television show attempt, they've had to revamp her powers and their origins some.

The second episode starts fleshing out what the bangle is and why Kamala had the reaction to it that she did.

I seriously feel like people have no capacity for being patient and letting a story play out anymore before deciding it's bad.
Thanks for the info. I haven't watched the second episode - I probably will, even though I had issues with the first one. As I said, I didn't totally hate the first episode, but I wanted to draw attention to some issues I had. I don't think "being patient" is something I'm lacking. I understand TV shows can take time to find their footing. This, however, is a limited series, just 6 episodes. If there are problems right from start, there isn't as much time left for it to gain ground. One-sixth of the run is already lacking, in my opinion.

As I said before, this series seems to be very ordinary, in both the superhero genre and the family dramedy genre. It isn't breaking any new ground so far. Simply centering the story around Muslim family doesn't make up for the tired tropes and stereotypes it makes use of. And the original comic character having been created by a Muslim-American doesn't necessarily mean the TV show will offer the same insight into Muslim-American life. As you said, they've already made significant changes to the origin. So far, the interactions Kamala has had haven't offered much that hasn't been seen in a hundred other tv shows, Muslim or not. As I said, it's likely the point of the show's creators - to make people realize Muslims-Americans are pretty much the same as everyone else. I don't think making an average show with average characters is the best way to do that, but hey, I'm not in charge.

I hope it gets better, I really do. I wanted to like it - that's why I watched it and will probably continue with it. I'm just disappointed and disintetested so far. Is that so bad? Can't I express my disappointment based on the first episode, citing specific reasons?

You don't agree with my review fine. But don't dismiss my evaluation by saying I "have no capacity for being patient." I'm not required to watch an entire series before deciding if one episode - the first episode, which establishes the characters and tone - has issues.

EDIT: I also mentioned how the show is not geared towards adults (again, not necessarliy a bad thing), has frenetic direction which I dislike, and music that I find annoying. Why should I just "be patient?" Being patient with how a story and characters unfold is one thing, continuing to watch a show that has things that are unlikable is quite another.

Last edited:

firesprite

Master Member
Thanks for the info. I haven't watched the second episode - I probably will, even though I had issues with the first one. As I said, I didn't totally hate the first episode, but I wanted to draw attention to some issues I had. I don't think "being patient" is something I'm lacking. I understand TV shows can take time to find their footing. This, however, is a limited series, just 6 episodes. If there are problems right from start, there isn't as much time left for it to gain ground. One-sixth of the run is already lacking, in my opinion.

As I said before, this series seems to be very ordinary, in both the superhero genre and the family dramedy genre. It isn't breaking any new ground so far. Simply centering the story around Muslim family doesn't make up for the tired tropes and stereotypes it makes use of. And the original comic character having been created by a Muslim-American doesn't necessarily mean the TV show will offer the same insight into Muslim-American life. As you said, they've already made significant changes to the origin. So far, the interactions Kamala has had haven't offered much that hasn't been seen in a hundred other tv shows, Muslim or not. As I said, it's likely the point of the show's creators - to make people realize Muslims-Americans are pretty much the same as everyone else. I don't think making an average show with average characters is the best way to do that, but hey, I'm not in charge.

I hope it gets better, I really do. I wanted to like it - that's why I watched it and will probably continue with it. I'm just disappointed and disintetested so far. Is that so bad? Can't I express my disappointment based on the first episode, citing specific reasons?

You don't agree with my review fine. But don't dismiss my evaluation by saying I "have no capacity for being patient." I'm not required to watch an entire series before deciding if one episode - the first episode, which establishes the characters and tone - has issues.

EDIT: I also mentioned how the show is not geared towards adults (again, not necessarliy a bad thing), has frenetic direction which I dislike, and music that I find annoying. Why should I just "be patient?" Being patient with how a story and characters unfold is one thing, continuing to watch a show that has things that are unlikable is quite another.
That was less directed at you than a general observation. We've had several shows from Marvel now which have shown us that they're favoring measured reveals of mystery over the whole of a shows runtime. Some have been more successful than others, but that is the definite pattern. Judging an entire show, even one that only runs 6 episodes, from the opening episode is not going to yield an accurate result with these things.

Again... it's totally cool if the story and visuals aren't landing for you, but that's more a matter of taste than a failing of the show itself.

I DO hope that you're willing to give it another couple of episodes, but that is entirely your choice. No one is going to hold a gun to your head and make you watch something you're not enjoying... and, hey, maybe you'll find it's a situation like my husband had with WandaVision where he just was NOT digging it until he was able to watch all of the episodes and see the progression of the story without the weekly wait.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.