MR Y-Wing

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Jun 28 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]1270067[/snapback]</div>
Thats appalling paintwork and weathering on a replica of this price, looks rushed and hashed out.
[/b]

I'm hoping the images are of a prototype.

When Kurt gets his hands on one, he'll give us a brutally honest appraisal.

From the pics on that other board... it looks to me to be the same as the promo version...

I don't think anyone has actually received them yet. Mine will most likely arrive the first part of next week and I will post pics and a review. Of course, if someone actually gets one before me, I agree with Steve that pics should be shared if possible.

If the Y we just veiwed is actual,.. I will have mine re-painted, but will leave the body the same.

Guys, the Y Wing pictured was the first proto they received back from the manufacture several months ago. I noticed there were several misplaced pieces that we identified and forwarded the info to MR and hope they corrected them all on this edition run. I do not think this is one of the latest production pieces.

For some reason once I turned in the master patterns we were not consulted again on its construction, unlike the MR Falcon project where the experts stayed with it till the end. We were never consulted again on its construction or correct placement of parts.. dont ask me why.

There are some problems with the Y wing in the pictures IMHO. I sure hope they took my advice and fixed them. I emailed these observation months ago when they first showcased this Y. The pieces are accurate.. just not orientated correctly.

I could go on all day about the process of building the thing getting approval and all but once some one gets one from the actual numbered run lets see whatÂ’s what.

I promise I will help folks fix anything that is incorrect. Some may not care the proper orientation of detail parts, but I do.

Detail wise it is really accurate. Overall Size, Shape and kit parts are referenced from the ILM filming minatures, trust me I worked with the pictures and the measurements taken from the archives. Its not 100% accurate to a specific Y wing because they didnt want to copy a certain version.

They wanted a mesh of the Red & Yellow Y wing details. We actually had several conference calls on which side the neck details go on (They are reversed on the Red Y and the Yellow Y's). Lots of interesting detail here.

Steve

IMHO

Nothing a factory can produce will ever get it close paint wise accurate to the real deal. Get ready to face that reality before hand. I hear alot of airbrushes firing up.

One just posted...
[image]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/DarthSerious/Star%20Wars/8_JFR_2.jpg[/image]
Unless they repainted it since these two proto's and paint ups both with distinct painting patterns on the nose from months ago, it is different.

Lynn

One thing's for sure...the detail accuracy seems apparent and the second level of finish quality is much improved.

I've noted that the red R2 is now the blue R2 with red neck ring...as it should be.

I provided MR 2 Proto castings of the Masters made which both were built up and painted hense the picture of the Y on the DS base photo. That is a casting of the masters I provided them and was painted by a MR artist. So you see there are three prototypes floating around out there.

I think the bottom 2 pics are from the Proto sent back from China. Notice the head is tilted up a bit and has a Blue R2.

Jason can you chime in a bit here?

The top pic IS one of the numbered run. Good eye Lynn. Either way the paint job will have to be redone for the studio scale purest. The head seems to be tilted upwards... yikes..

Standard SCI FI collectors on the other hand should be fine with it. I think its great MR actualy made this project available.

Hmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

This disturbs me a bit. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

While I know MR does it's best,.. surely it can do better than that picture. And if Steve is saying that the peices were placed on wrong? Hmmmmmmmm...

It cannot get here soon enough for me to see for myself.

Well, I built two prototypes from those first casts from the final master patterns and laid the pipe work (which was modified a slight bit in two areas to avoid certain breakage in shipping). Both prototypes I built were given the stamp of approval by all parties involved - and yes, it was basically the Red "radar jammer" configuration but with an Artoo in the socket. I painted the body color and markings - basically just the base coats, and then handed both of them off to MR the last week of September, as I was getting married October 1st. Where are my priorities?. ;)

That's where my involvement on the Ys ended, so I don't have any definitive answers about weathering, final part configurations between those first protoypes and what shipped, or what color the Artoo is. I believe the final decision was to have the Artoo be the blue fella with the red neck stripe, and the cockpit would have the blue canopy with the two body color stripes. Of course, that could have changed any number of times in the past 9 months.

Last time I was at MR, I saw a test shot from the factory, and it was consistant with what I had sent, as far as markings and paint scheme. So the red Artoo is a surprise to me - but again, there were many Ys in the film, so there's a certain amount of flexibility, conceptually.

I believe the best things about this replica are still not mentioned much - the t-Track is metal, the wings are MACHINED metal (yeah - crazy cool.), and the piping is now metal as well, I think. Nose cannons are probably machined metal - but I haven't seen this personally.

I'm really happy that the laser tower is a seperate piece too. I'll display mine without the cannon, as I think it distracts the eyes from the sleekness that is the Y-Wing fighter.

And as everyone has said a thousand times with every studio scale replica - the factory paint job will satisfy most collectors, but will never match the artistry of a Steve the Swede or Dan S, who will obsess over every nook and cranny to really replicate what ILM did - it's far too time intensive a process to expect out of anything manufactured in quantity. I'll probably repaint mine when the mood strikes, but I said that about my AT-AT, and it's still got it's factory deco, lol.

Thanks Moff, good to see a familar face on the Y thread. I remember working with you very closley with the placement of the details for the two protos you built. Great Job by the way.

I can assure you guys Jason's build ups were accurate to what we had intended the Y to be detail placement wise.

Not sure about it all until we get more pics in.

Kurt, no worries... if there are a few details that need to be fixed you do know one of the guys that built the original. :) So in theory, if I correct the parts for you wouldnt that make your Y Wing a one of a kind Artist Proof? Since I am one of the artist that made it :)

Heres a picture I made of the MR Y wing vs the Red Y from Celebration I took here in Denver. Not bad if I do say so myself. Sorry for th elight glare on the plexi but you can see the details match.

161536829.jpg

Now hold on your butts, i was just over again at Rebelscum and the pictured Y is NOT a prototype but the final product.... YIKES .
It belongs to the one who posted the pics and he got his yesterday.
Now there are several more photos of it: Scroll down again :)
I don't want to link directly to his photobucket.

Don't know what to say but i don't like that they obviously ignored Steves adjustment-suggestions.
I have to get used to the red R2 also...
The Death Star Tower is removable (phewww).
Sorry but after seeing that final product for THAT price and WITHOUT a display case i can truely say now: What are they thinking ?
Would love to buy a kit of that now :)

If the detail is correct, and it looks dead on, repainting won't be a huge issue I think.

There's plenty of people on this board that can make it look perfect. Although it does suck that one would spend that kind of money on a replica and then have to pay to have it repainted, or repaint it yourself. I hope the MR 1701 looks as close to John Eaves paint job as possible though or there's going to be a lot of mad people out there.

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jun 29 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]1270558[/snapback]</div>
Although it does suck that one would spend that kind of money on a replica and then have to pay to have it repainted, or repaint it yourself.
[/b]

Actually that is what is bothering me. I guess a kit of this would be in the 350-400 pricerange and you can start right at the beginning to get the paintjob perfect (if there would have been a kit :) ).
Here you have a 700$ replica that has to be repainted and has no case. According to Steve the detail is not dead on. If the painting shell be great it is very timeconsuming and really not an easy job (look at 1138's thread about his perfect Y-Wing).
I was on the fence for the SS Probe droid but decided for the MR Y-Wing instead (you can't have everything ;) ) but after seeing this first pictures makes me think that it was maybe the wrong decision.
I am worried big time now about my holy grail: the Falcon.
Of course will Dymerski's paintjob absolutly "THE paintjob", but what will MRs chineese workers make of it... *sighs*
But lets wait, time will tell.

Greetings, especially Steve, Dan and of course Jason. I've finally managed to sign up to the forum.

After spending two years making and re-making the original patterns for the Y, I'm still getting a big kick in actually seeing it as a finished product, even though I can understand some of the concerns over the finish. Like Steve said it is a bit of a miracle that it got produced at all considering how tricksy she is structurally and detail-wise. I think Steve and Jason have done a great job nursemaiding the project through the corporate production machine.

As far as the original build goes I could never have even got as far as I did without big help from Steve's reference pics and the incredible kit part breakdowns from Dan Loes, Dan Satterthwaite, Doug Maio and Ed Minto.

So Steve, I know you are up to your eyes with stuff - if I can help you to help any others in regard to the Y-wing let me know. :)

[/quote]
I am worried big time now about my holy grail: the Falcon.
Of course will Dymerski's paintjob absolutly "THE paintjob", but what will MRs chineese workers make of it... *sighs*
But lets wait, time will tell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw some pics a few days ago of the Factory Falcon paint job...WOW. it looks amazing...
One of the guys involved on the project thought they had the 2 of my Falcon masters in China...thats how close they look. I think you all will be impressed.
Dean

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back