MR Rocketeer Helmets Shipping!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by kuyadavid, Nov 21, 2005.

1. kuyadavid

kuyadavid Well-Known Member

Out of the blue I just got an email from MR saying that my Rocketeer helmet has been shipped and is on the way to me. Woo hoo.

2. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Next couple of weeks are going to be busy for MR with shipping. :)

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Post some Pics if you can.

4. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has anyone done any type of review on the helmet yet?

5. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

Wow. Metal. Lined. Nice stand. Will try to get pics up later.
    Tim

6. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

PICS.. NOW..

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  7. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

I received mine yesterday. Quick review- MR's is an idealized metal version with wierd welds, spotty brass finish and a somewhat messy joint in the back. I would have preferred a perfectly accurate fiberglass version. Photos of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  8. Apollo

thanks for the Pics.. :)

9. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

I like the idea of real brass, but I'll never replace my resin beauty :)

Todd

10. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Thanks for the pics.. :) Any shots of the stand and plaque?

11. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

[​IMG]

Wow. That is pretty week.

The rest looks great. But what's up with that?

12. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Eek. Is that JB Weld or just did it not get plated properly there? A little black paint and you can weather it to cover it up, but I'd probably speak to Amy first on this and see if you can get a replacement.

13. rudolpht

14. rudolpht

The welds are wierd, but I love the metal.

Sorry for the big pics, but the Pics Now font was pretty big :)

15. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

seeing as you're all buying the helmet you'll probably all beat me up for this... but I don' even know what the rocketeer is.

Is this a disney film or a comic book or something? (and yes, i'm being genuine here, lol)

16. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Little from column A, Little from column B

It was originally a comic by Dave Stevens, then Disney made a movie from it.

17. BigDumbWookiee

BigDumbWookiee Well-Known Member

Yes. :)

It's a Disney film, adapted from a comic.

18. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

It looks like the welds are not welds at all, not that I would expect them to be.

They look to be some kind of knotched strip laid in place.

Anyone know HOW these are being manufactured?

Stamped and assembled? Cast somehow? Any clues?

19. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

I'm not an expert on this piece but what type of helmet was actually in the film? Metal or fiberglass? Are the weird welds movie accurate? Wasn't it suppose to be kind of beat up in the movie? Did MR have a screen used model to create their version from?

20. rudolpht

Correct, they are not welds, but appear to be part of the casting process, but I'm not a metallurgist :)

21. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

thanks for the info guys... i'll have to look this film up, that's a cool looking prop.

22. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Well-Known Member

In the context of the movie, the helmet was bronze, fabricated from the housing of an old heating unit.

23. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

So would that make the MR version movie accurate?

24. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

No. It is my understanding that the movie prop was fiberglass made to look like welded metal, so the welds looked like real welds even though it was resin. So, no, the MR version, with its "idealized" welds and metal construction, is not accurate to the original prop. However, it seems that the padding and strap inside MR's version is somewhat movie-accurate.

25. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Does anyone have any better pics of the stand and plaque? I've never seen what those look like, but I'm thinking that they are different than the Star Wars and Star Trek ones...

I'm definitely going to have to pick this up. Even though the welds look a little wonky, the helmet is made of metal. How cool is that. :thumbsup

But like Todd said, I don't think I'll be getting rid of my fiberglass one anytime soon. :)

26. Vandark

Vandark Sr Member

One thing I can't understand is why MR included a standard plaque, when there is no way to fix it to the base anyway, could somebody explain?

The helmet is incredible, seems so real, like it COULD have been made from an old heater.

I like the finish too, mine has huge green tarnish patches, although it DOESN'T have the odd weld patch att he back like the photos posted above.

27. rudolpht

Here's a blurry pic of the base. Nothing on the plaque which I didn't unwrap.
    [​IMG]

28. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I think this is one of those props where the appearance of actual welds, rather than an idealized, very even and regular 'ribbing' of welds would have been preferred. It's a nice helmet, though I'm still curious about that one helmet that seems to lose the finish at the back of it.

29. rudolpht

Well, the finish and welds, as well as fin size differ considerably from the work a mod here did for me making a silk purse out of a sows ear crappy cast. (I still miss it). That said, it comes down to price, value, and other intangibles.

While the costume piece was resin, it was a costume piece meant to represent the Rocketeer's metal helmet. So in the contest between Hollywood's version of metal or a replicas metal version of metal, it's in the eye of the beholder. I do so unlike the welds, but with the exceptions, it's a decent prop. (Speaking as a non-Finhead, said with respect).

Tim

30. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

Should this be treated with something like Renaissance Wax to protect it?

31. rudolpht

I knew that :), and I do still miss it. I bet you'll figure a way to fix this one too.
    Best,
    Tim

32. LZeitgeist

Wow, mine showed up today - I can only say one thing - this thing's going back for a refund. Good God. I'm shocked. Instead of a quality prop replica item like we've been getting from MR (like the lightsabers, etc.) this thing looks like a crappy Pakistani bootleg of a *real* MR replica. What a shocking POS. :(

The fin - hollow.

The metal - warped.

The 'weathered' finish - drippy and completely unrealistic.

The so-called "welds" - not only the worst part about it all, but completely misaligned and horrible.

I'd expect to see an item of this 'quality' at a flea market, and even if priced at $100, I'd keep on walking.

I am well and truly, utterly shocked at just how badly MR did on this piece. I'm completely and absolutely stunned.

For God's sake, MR, don't do the rocketpack... not if this is what you had in mind. Unbelievable. :(

33. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

my somewhat repetetive 2 cents:

I don't mind the idealization but the welds not only don't look like the screenused "welds", they don't even look like welds of any kind at all. As micdavis said, they look more like a decorative trim. (sigh)

34. LZeitgeist

[​IMG]
    Here's the front - just how narrow is this thing? Looks more like the 'Parachute Stunt' version (with the flip-open front) than any sort of 'Hero' version.

[​IMG]
    WTF???.?.? They've got the so-called 'welds' turning away from what is supposed to be welded with it just so it can meet some sort of vaguely-decorative point near the back of the fin (which is off-center at the rear to begin with). It's painfully (and disappointingly) obvious that what these details were supposed to be wasn't communicated to the workforce...

[​IMG]
    Is it just me, or is one side caved in? It wasn't crushed in transit - the box and packing materials were perfectly fine...

[​IMG]
    This is the most forgivable 'sin' on the whole thing - 1/16" gaps between the eyepiece and the holes in the helmet...

[​IMG]
    ...and look at the marvelous finishing detail, front-and-center, of the fin, right between the eyes... this thing doesn't have a single angle that it can be displayed at to hide the flaws on it...

[​IMG]
    And one last look at the decorative trim... oops, I mean 'welds'... obviously quarter round rod that was notched every measured 1/16" and welded(.?) into place. Why not just create true welds, then?

Did the real MR helmets get hijacked somewhere on the ocean and these were bootlegged to make up for the loss? Nothing else makes sense... these are just SO. BAD. :(

What happened to 'Lucky Onion', Kevin, MR's Disney rep here on the board? Where did this fiasco go wrong?

35. rudolpht

Sounds like an RMA is in order. Mine's a keeper.

36. LZeitgeist

The fact that MR made the replica from metal is movie-accurate.

The fact that MR used notched quarter-round trim instead of accurate-looking actual welding joints means that the finishing details are not movie-accurate.

The fact that the idealized replica is misaligned and warped *could* be excused to say that it was cobbled together by Peevey in his kitchen from an old heater with rudimentary tools; however, since (in the context of the film) Peevey was a skilled aircraft mechanic, and one of the functions of the helmet was to provide a directional flight control surface to keep Cliff safe and in control, I can't see Peevey being satisfied with less than perfect alignment, no matter how rudimentary his tools were, much like there is no way that he would allow the rudder on the GeeBee to be degrees off the centerline of the fuselage. In airframe/powerplant engineering, such facets of design and implementation are critical. So in my mind, the justification for shoddiness is unacceptable.

The resin/fiberglass helmets are movie-accurate in that they are built to resemble the item if it were, in fact, made of metal and welded, since the helmet, in the context of the movie, was made of metal, and therefore would have been welded.

The fact that the actual film-used helmet props were made of resin/fiberglass does not mean that an accurate idealized replica would be made of resin/fiberglass, any more than an accurate idealized replica of a movie pistol would be made of hard rubber. Real guns (in the context of 'real life') are metal, just like a real helmet (in the context of 'real life' as presented in the film) would be made of metal.

(Geeze, now I sound like some of the lightsaber purists here... :))

Anyway, I've said my piece. Life goes on.

37. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

I agree with the critique above, but I'm conflicted about making a return.

If this is supposed to be truly "idealized", then why are there so many quality flaws? And, if the flaws are supposed to make it more accurate/worn looking, then why didn't they just go for true accuracy with the welds?

The welds are not true welds but solder joints- I even found some beads of moisture or flux on the crappy rear joint. This is definitely not up to MR's usual good quality as on the LE 1:1 sabers. The helmets are made in India, which apparently has a high-volume (i.e. cheap) metal manufacturing industry but the quality is typically not high. Just look under the metal homeware items in Target or Marshalls- most are made in India. Inexpensive, mediocre quality is fine for a soap dish, but this is not the place to make a prop replica whose value is in the accurate execution of details. My expectations for a $5 soap dish from Target and a $400 movie prop replica from MR are very different.

38. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Thanks for the pics, Patrick. I have to say your review has me a bit disappointed.

With all the points you mention, I'm rethinking my purchase, at least at the current selling price...

The lens issue is really bugging me. Is the lens issue that Patrick mentioned par for the course on the MR helmet, or was his helmet just not put together very well?

39. Apollo

:eek Thats really all that needs to be said sadly. :(

I was going to get one of these when they first announced them but I had a gut feeling to wait untill the first ones shipped.

I am so glad I did.. I know MR will take care of any unsatisfied Customers but Helmets like Patricks should have NEVER have been shipped.

My sympathy Bro. :confused

40. Vandark

Vandark Sr Member

The lesnes in mine fit fine, except for the fact that one of them had a deep scratch across it. It's generally very shoddy, but it will do for me.

Richard

41. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

I would love to get a Helmet kit to build for myself, but if I was to order a MR Helmet and it looked like the ones you guys got I'd send it back.

All you folks who got the MR Helmet should send them back to make a point. I know you folks shelled out some cash for this baby and it should be of quality and not just to fill an order.

One other thing since we are on the helmet where can I get a helmet kit for myself.

42. LZeitgeist

You're welcome... I really hate that my news isn't better. I'd really, really hoped for this thing. :(

The reason I'm not even considering a replacement is that I can't believe that this thing even got anywhere NEAR a door, much less got approved, wrapped, packaged and out of one. It's like they thought this was perfectly acceptable and that the receiver would be happy to get it. :( I'm sure there are some out there (and back at the warehouse) that are in better shape, but it'd be a shot in the dark of getting a good one, and I don't want to bother playing the multiple-return game, or the 'buy a case, keep the good one, ship the rest back for refund' game.

I really thought this would be the same quality we've been getting with the sabers... c'est la vie.

43. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Before coming on these boards I naively figured the high cost of most MR items was because they were manufactured in the U.S. I must say that some of the threads like this, including the problems some people had with their EE Luke sabers has somewhat soured my opinion of MR. I'm not quite looking forward to my Vader helmet as much as I was.

44. Funky

I'm really surprised that an MR rep hasn't jumped in here with some sort of explaination. :(

45. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

It is the Thanksgiving weekend, I doubt that there are many working over the last two days. Amy's probably happily at home away from problems, and the only other rep that I'm aware of won't be posting on the internet for a while yet.

46. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bummer man. Sorry to hear that the helmet isn't living up to expectations. that sucks. I guess that's four hundred bucks I can spend on booze and hookers. Woohoo...

47. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mine just arrived today- I have been reading this thread and now I am too bummed out to open it...

48. Funky

You are my idol, Matt... :lol :lol :lol :lol

49. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Glad to see that even in my absence, I still leave my mark :)

50. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I have a feeling they'll be available real cheap in the future on ebay. Just wait for them.