MR Jedi Training Remote Elite Edition

Jediwannabe

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone thought how cool it would be to have an Elite Edition Jedi Training Remote? I would imagine that it should be easier since MR has already produced a training remote line. And since the value has not increased anything notable it would not offened too many people holding the LE version.

It could have:
All Metal Construction
Crystal Emitters
Sound Effects
Light Effects

OK maybe I'm dreaming but I thought I'd share the fantasy.

It could have:
All Metal Construction
Crystal Emitters
Sound Effects
Light Effects
Accurate paint colors

(oh sh.t did I say that out loud.? [ducking])

The idea thing would be to do a clean version with the hovering like you see with the magnetic hover earth globes. Now THAT would be fantastic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripoli @ Apr 27 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]1234116[/snapback]</div>
The idea thing would be to do a clean version with the hovering like you see with the magnetic hover earth globes. Now THAT would be fantastic.
[/b]

I know I'm going to regret letting this out of the bag, but I am in the middle of doing exactly that.

I've been collecting parts, pics and info for weeks.

training-remote-001A.jpg

I found the IFO 3000 magnetic globe (largest small size globe (14 cm) with the largest magnetic gap (1")) on ebay and the remote parts are from member CoinProp (thanks again, buddy).

Right now I'm trimming the parts and praying this will work. The globe has a large internal magnet that I'm hoping will be strong enough to levitate the training remote once finished (as the remote will be significantly heavier).

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this happen, feel free to post 'em up.

Thanks to WC for hosting.

-Fred

I hope you plan on keeping the "hovering" version out of reach. I don't know how many times I've seen a friends globe go rolling across his desk or bouncing onto the floor due to some idiot poking at it or trying to pick it up. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Apr 27 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]1234144[/snapback]</div>
I hope you plan on keeping the "hovering" version out of reach. I don't know how many times I've seen a friends globe go rolling across his desk or bouncing onto the floor due to some idiot poking at it or trying to pick it up. :lol
[/b]

To be completely honest, this thing has a hell of a magnetic pull. You actually have to give a decent tug to get it out of "orbit"

-Fred

They could technically rerelease it as a Studio Scale model, since it's the same size as the prop, but the way it was composited into Luke's training scene, the in-universe device seems to be about the size of a softball. Making the "model" around 2:1 scale.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripoli @ Apr 27 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]1234116[/snapback]</div>
[/b]
Well, about a year ago I tried to do that with the MR remote but it was just too heavy. So finally I decided to just modify the MR remote to hoover on it's own power. :D

jtr1.jpg
jtr2.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Montagar @ Apr 27 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]1234232[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripoli @ Apr 27 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]1234116[/snapback]
[/b]
Well, about a year ago I tried to do that with the MR remote but it was just too heavy. So finally I decided to just modify the MR remote to hoover on it's own power. :D

jtr1.jpg
jtr2.jpg

[/b][/quote]

Please explain what you did there Montagar..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Apr 27 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]1234246[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Montagar @ Apr 27 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]1234232[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripoli @ Apr 27 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]1234116[/snapback]
[/b]

jtr1.jpg
jtr2.jpg

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm going to guess
1. A rod in the back of the remote attached to the up-right in the corner of the case
2. Photo shop
3. I have no clue :p

Andrew

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK648 @ Apr 27 2006, 12:14 PM) [snapback]1234276[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Apr 27 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]1234246[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Montagar @ Apr 27 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]1234232[/snapback]
[/b]

jtr1.jpg
jtr2.jpg

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm going to guess
1. A rod in the back of the remote attached to the up-right in the corner of the case
2. Photo shop
3. I have no clue :p

Andrew
[/b][/quote]
1. No (good idea though)
2. NO
3. Yes :D ;)

hint: Nothing is stuck/glued to the remote, and the remote has not been structurally modified.
(unless of course you consider placing an anti-gravity field generated inside a structural modification):D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Apr 27 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1234322[/snapback]</div>
Hehehe, thanks for being so cryptic there Monty.. So was there use of angel hair monafiliment then?
[/b]
That would have been my first guess (and as it turns out what I tried to use), but it was just too heavy for that. It kept breaking, sometimes immediately, other times after a few hours (I had to keep a folded towel under it until I came up with the right stuff).

I then tried 1lb, 2lb and finally ended up having to use 4lb .008" dia. trilene.

Interestingly enough, there is small hole on top of the remote that gives you access to a hollow area, so I fashioned a small piece of metal, rapped and tied the line around it and pushed it into the hole. I drilled a very small (almost imperceptible) hole in the top of the cabinet and "fished" the line through it.

Of course if you stand close to the glass you can clearly see the line, but from just a short distance away, depending on the angle it is difficult to see. From any greater distance it looks like magic.

I once saw a web page of a Hellraiser Puzzle box computer case mod (I can't find the link.. argh.), where the modder cut the puzzle box in half and mounted it on a mirror. The mirror was placed at a 45° angle to a window at the front. The big drawback was of course that you could only see it from the front. The walls were covered with wallpaper that had to be aligned just right as to not break the illusion.

Edit: That's the one, Ironfist. Thanks. (see below for link)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Lars @ Apr 27 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1234379[/snapback]</div>
I once saw a web page of a Hellraiser Puzzle box computer case mod (I can't find the link.. argh.), where the modder cut the puzzle box in half and mounted it on a mirror. The mirror was placed at a 45° angle to a window at the front. The big drawback was of course that you could only see it from the front. The walls were covered with wallpaper that had to be aligned just right as to not break the illusion.
[/b]

This one?

Hellraiser case mod

And as far as Hellraiser-themed PC mods, I love this one:

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/157/1

Well, I did a preliminary hover test yesterday, and so far, it works :D.

Granted, I didn't have all the pieces attached or painted but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. The pieces (except the original rims) are all acrylic casts and all together maybe weigh an ounce.

I felt the top magnet fighting to maintain the field at 1" distance but maybe if I bring it in closer, it will eliminate that problem.

When this project gets closer to completion, I'll start a whole new thread that shows everything.

-Fred

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back