MR is doing a Muppets Animal Puppet !?

Lello999

HI all

I just saw this picture of the MR Office on FX sabers. com and discovered this :)

Looks like we are going to see Animal as the second puppet after Kermit. That´s great..... Hope we´ll see Fozzie as well :)

Btw, what´s that right to the Kermit pic? Aliens???

Domenik

EDIT: Removed a embarrassing spelling mistake :)

They've been talking about it for a while (at least 6 months), but I don't think anything has been confirmed yet. Most of the Internet rumors have stated that the creation of Animal will depend on the sales of Kermit.

Why would a company do Kermit, and then Animal? Why not Fozzie first, or Gonzo, or, *gasp* Miss-Freaking-Piggy?

This seems like the same type of logic that brought a Predalien (from a movie no one cared to see), a Predator spear, and then, when given the myriad of Alien movie props, the terribly non-exciting motion tracker, which after selling only to the most hardcore thousand or so, warrants them not makinjg any more Alien merchandise, "because it doesn't sell."

I predict the Muppets line falling by the same wayside.

Kermit is the most famous and popular muppet. Animal is a serious fan fav. In all truth, beyond some of MR's odd choices, I would believe these two to be the best to start the line, followed by Piggy, Gonzo, then Fozzie.

I agree on the Alien/predator stuff. They should have put out a PR and pred helmet long before even considering the spear, motion tracker and hybrid.

Oh, and if that's a pic of an MR boardroom, what's with the Batsignal and Millar DarkKnight statue boxes?

"Because Animal is as immensely popular as any of those three...if not more so."

According to your friends or mine doesn't count as an accurate barometer, especially regarding a chracter like Miss Piggy not being as popular.

Do you actually know a person who like Ms Piggy? I'm sure they exist, but I don't know any.

As for the Animal popularity - I don't recall if it was a Disney or a Palisade comment, but they sold plenty more Animal merch than Piggy or even Gonzo (sniff)

Yeah, quite a few.

I'm also going by the fact that I've never once heard the complaint, "You know what would have made Muppets (in some movie) better? More Animal."

IMO, loving Animal above any of the "classic" Muppets (as opposed to putting him on a par with) is akin to claiming Elmo as the best Sesame Street character.

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]1257988[/snapback]</div>
Yeah, quite a few.

I'm also going by the fact that I've never once heard the complaint, "You know what would have made Muppets (in some movie) better? More Animal."

IMO, loving Animal above any of the "classic" Muppets (as opposed to putting him on a par with) is akin to claiming Elmo as the best Sesame Street character.
[/b]

if some kid went into a hot topic lookin for a cool retro shirt... and saw a miss piggy and an animal shirt...

you really think that just as many or more would pick piggy?

i think you are wrong.

and why do you not think that kermit the F-ing frog is the most recognizable muppet?

thats like arguing that pluto was a bigger disney character than mickey mouse...

you are just plain wrong.

and the aliens comments you had were valid but not in an anowlogy the way you used it.

but seriously are we even having this discusion?

LOL

anyway, yes animal would be a great 2nd choice pending the sales of the kermit.

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]1257988[/snapback]</div>
Yeah, quite a few.

[/b]
I always thought it was Kermit, Gonzo, then Animal, and Miss Piggy..

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Jun 7 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1257999[/snapback]</div>
if some kid went into a hot topic lookin for a cool retro shirt... and saw a miss piggy and an animal shirt...

you really think that just as many or more would pick piggy?

i think you are wrong.
[/b]

Going by a kid buying some Hot Topic merchandise is one of the lamest ways I can think of to gauge a character's popularity.

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Jun 7 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1257999[/snapback]</div>
and the aliens comments you had were valid but not in an anowlogy the way you used it.
[/b]

Yeah, they kinda really were.

and why do you not think that kermit the F-ing frog is the most recognizable muppet?

thats like arguing that pluto was a bigger disney character than mickey mouse...

you are just plain wrong.
[/b]

You show me where in any way, shape, or form that I even implied Kermit is not the most recognizable. Otherwise, here's some ketchup for that foot in your mouth--and ketchup has lycopene which supposedly helps keep you from getting cancer.

It's been my personal experience from talking with other Muppet fans that Animal is one of the more popular characters. He's certainly as "classic" and any other one mentioned thus far. I really don't see this as a bad product choice. MR certainly shot themselves in the foot with the Aliens license, but I don't see that happening here. They could release Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie, and Animal in any sequence with out a problem.

If they release Gonzo The Great with out Camilla the Chicken... then we got problems :p

All I'm interested in is the Chef, and Stadler and Walldorf (and then, build a balcony).

But I hope those will a year or so .. (more money then :D )

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ Jun 7 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]1258032[/snapback]</div>
MR certainly shot themselves in the foot with the Aliens license, but I don't see that happening here. [/b]

But, going based on past licenses, you're at least seeing where I'm coming from with the worry.

Screw the "Animal" muppet. Unless my eyes deceive me, that looks like a Luke ANH FX up on that wall, as well as a Darth Vader ROTJ FX saber. Those are some cool sabers.

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]1257988[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

I'm not sure how long Elmo has been around, 10-20 years as a guess maybe..?... So your comparison is a bit flawed to Animals 30+ years.

I'm not sure why you think Animal is not a "classic" Muppet, he is in season 1 of the Muppet Show from the begining back in the early mid 70's when ever it first aired, so he is old and just as "Classic" as the rest of the Muppet show Muppets, but I don't know if he had any TV time before that or not.

He may not be as old as Kermit who is 50, and I'm not sure how old Miss Piggy is, but Animal is certainly a "Classic" Muppet from the Muppet Show series begining.

I'd take a Animal over Miss Piggy any day.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'></div>
"Going by a kid buying some Hot Topic merchandise is one of the lamest ways I can think of to gauge a character's popularity."[/b]

So far you've shot down two forms of judging the popularity of any given Muppet, care to share the "correct" method for doing so?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back