MR is doing a Muppets Animal Puppet !?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Lello999, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

HI all

I just saw this picture of the MR Office on FX sabers. com and discovered this :)

[​IMG]

Looks like we are going to see Animal as the second puppet after Kermit. That´s great..... Hope we´ll see Fozzie as well :)

Btw, what´s that right to the Kermit pic? Aliens???

Domenik

EDIT: Removed a embarrassing spelling mistake :)

2. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Its Fozzie ;)

3. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

They've been talking about it for a while (at least 6 months), but I don't think anything has been confirmed yet. Most of the Internet rumors have stated that the creation of Animal will depend on the sales of Kermit.

4. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Why would a company do Kermit, and then Animal? Why not Fozzie first, or Gonzo, or, *gasp* Miss-Freaking-Piggy?

This seems like the same type of logic that brought a Predalien (from a movie no one cared to see), a Predator spear, and then, when given the myriad of Alien movie props, the terribly non-exciting motion tracker, which after selling only to the most hardcore thousand or so, warrants them not makinjg any more Alien merchandise, "because it doesn't sell."

I predict the Muppets line falling by the same wayside.

5. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

Because Animal is as immensely popular as any of those three...if not more so.

6. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Kermit is the most famous and popular muppet. Animal is a serious fan fav. In all truth, beyond some of MR's odd choices, I would believe these two to be the best to start the line, followed by Piggy, Gonzo, then Fozzie.

I agree on the Alien/predator stuff. They should have put out a PR and pred helmet long before even considering the spear, motion tracker and hybrid.

Oh, and if that's a pic of an MR boardroom, what's with the Batsignal and Millar DarkKnight statue boxes?

7. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

"Because Animal is as immensely popular as any of those three...if not more so."

According to your friends or mine doesn't count as an accurate barometer, especially regarding a chracter like Miss Piggy not being as popular.

8. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Do you actually know a person who like Ms Piggy? I'm sure they exist, but I don't know any.

As for the Animal popularity - I don't recall if it was a Disney or a Palisade comment, but they sold plenty more Animal merch than Piggy or even Gonzo (sniff)

9. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

When my wife was working for Disney (MGM) as a character performer doing Ms Piggy, the letches loved grabbing her.

10. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Yeah, quite a few.

I'm also going by the fact that I've never once heard the complaint, "You know what would have made Muppets (in some movie) better? More Animal."

IMO, loving Animal above any of the "classic" Muppets (as opposed to putting him on a par with) is akin to claiming Elmo as the best Sesame Street character.

11. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]1257988[/snapback]</div>

if some kid went into a hot topic lookin for a cool retro shirt... and saw a miss piggy and an animal shirt...

you really think that just as many or more would pick piggy?

i think you are wrong.

and why do you not think that kermit the F-ing frog is the most recognizable muppet?

thats like arguing that pluto was a bigger disney character than mickey mouse...

you are just plain wrong.

and the aliens comments you had were valid but not in an anowlogy the way you used it.

but seriously are we even having this discusion?

LOL

anyway, yes animal would be a great 2nd choice pending the sales of the kermit.

12. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]1257988[/snapback]</div>
    I always thought it was Kermit, Gonzo, then Animal, and Miss Piggy..

13. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Jun 7 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1257999[/snapback]</div>
    Going by a kid buying some Hot Topic merchandise is one of the lamest ways I can think of to gauge a character's popularity.

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Jun 7 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1257999[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, they kinda really were.

You show me where in any way, shape, or form that I even implied Kermit is not the most recognizable. Otherwise, here's some ketchup for that foot in your mouth--and ketchup has lycopene which supposedly helps keep you from getting cancer.

14. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

It's been my personal experience from talking with other Muppet fans that Animal is one of the more popular characters. He's certainly as "classic" and any other one mentioned thus far. I really don't see this as a bad product choice. MR certainly shot themselves in the foot with the Aliens license, but I don't see that happening here. They could release Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie, and Animal in any sequence with out a problem.

If they release Gonzo The Great with out Camilla the Chicken... then we got problems :p

15. Kris

Kris Sr Member

All I'm interested in is the Chef, and Stadler and Walldorf (and then, build a balcony).

But I hope those will a year or so .. (more money then :D )

16. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ Jun 7 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]1258032[/snapback]</div>

But, going based on past licenses, you're at least seeing where I'm coming from with the worry.

17. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

Screw the "Animal" muppet. Unless my eyes deceive me, that looks like a Luke ANH FX up on that wall, as well as a Darth Vader ROTJ FX saber. Those are some cool sabers.

18. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]1257988[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure how long Elmo has been around, 10-20 years as a guess maybe..?... So your comparison is a bit flawed to Animals 30+ years.

I'm not sure why you think Animal is not a "classic" Muppet, he is in season 1 of the Muppet Show from the begining back in the early mid 70's when ever it first aired, so he is old and just as "Classic" as the rest of the Muppet show Muppets, but I don't know if he had any TV time before that or not.

He may not be as old as Kermit who is 50, and I'm not sure how old Miss Piggy is, but Animal is certainly a "Classic" Muppet from the Muppet Show series begining.

I'd take a Animal over Miss Piggy any day.

Lynn

19. Lukes Roommate

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    So far you've shot down two forms of judging the popularity of any given Muppet, care to share the "correct" method for doing so?

20. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

You see the * on that pig? Bring it on baby.. BRING.. IT .. ON.

21. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Based on the pictures on the wall, it also looks like they're going to do a Donald Duck as well.

22. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]1258063[/snapback]</div>

But, going based on past licenses, you're at least seeing where I'm coming from with the worry.
    [/b][/quote]

There is no doubt that MR has really dropped the ball with their Aliens license. However, I do not agree that there is cause for concern here. Animal is an excellent choice for the second Muppet.

23. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I remember as a child having some Muppet puppets, Kermit, Piggy, Animal and Rowlf; and I loved them all. Now, if only they had been as quality as MR's Muppets or even if MR's would be the price tag of the early puppets, I would get them all, but that won't happen either way.

24. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Lukes Roommate @ Jun 7 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1258091[/snapback]</div>
    So far you've shot down two forms of judging the popularity of any given Muppet, care to share the "correct" method for doing so?
    [/b][/quote]

What, what two forms? You're really saying you use a few friends as a barometer?

25. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jun 7 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]1258083[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure how long Elmo has been around, 10-20 years as a guess maybe..?... So your comparison is a bit flawed to Animals 30+ years.

I'm not sure why you think Animal is not a "classic" Muppet, he is in season 1 of the Muppet Show from the begining back in the early mid 70's when ever it first aired, so he is old and just as "Classic" as the rest of the Muppet show Muppets, but I don't know if he had any TV time before that or not.

He may not be as old as Kermit who is 50, and I'm not sure how old Miss Piggy is, but Animal is certainly a "Classic" Muppet from the Muppet Show series begining.

I'd take a Animal over Miss Piggy any day.

Lynn
    [/b][/quote]

I'm talking about Classic as in character tiers, too.

First tier would be Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzi, Rolf, Scooter.'

Second would be Animal, Rizzo, Dr. Teeth, etc.

It's apparent by the number of Animal defenders (which I don't get--I'm not saying that he's garbage or they should never do him, or anything; simply that I think it's a bad choice for second, and everyone else takes it as a personal offense--seriously folks, take some valium, smoke some pot, put a few drinks away, but do something to calm yourselves down, really. Geez, these forums have gottn more lynch-mobby as of late.) it's obvious he's achieved this sort of Boba Fett status wherein a one-gag throw-away character (and yes, when you have less screen time than Dr. Teeth, you're not "main") garners a bewildering following, an almost God-like status wherein even the creators are kinda, "Huh?"

26. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy cow, gnrlotto. Does it really bug you that much that Animal is a fan-fav??? Or are you just mad no one agreed with your "fall by the wayside" comment?

I clicked on this thread because it said "MR is doing a Muppets Animal Puppet ."

Woohoo... BTW

I don't know why Animal has always been one of my favorites, but he has. Ever since I can remember. But I don't see the point of trying to debate against Animal's status as one of the top fan favorites. I actually thought it was common knowledge. ;)

EDIT - And for the record, I do NOT, at all... like Piggy. Never have. I always though Kermit could do better. :D

27. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Romans Empire @ Jun 7 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1258215[/snapback]</div>
    When I specifically said that I think he's a poor choice, but he's obviously got a lot of fan support (who happen to take a statement about him as a personal attack on their tastes) wherein lies this over-bearing consternation over the fact that people like him of which you accuse? Perhaps it's my "reading comprehension" getting in the way, but I just don't see it.

<div class='quotetop'>(Romans Empire @ Jun 7 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1258215[/snapback]</div>
    Ooh, sharp B) . Let's turn this into a personal attack session (which further supports the "you need to calm down," point earlier). Smooth.

28. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Attack??? :confused I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cyber-attack you. My bad.

It just seemed to me that someone who puts so much "energy" in to a simple product announcement thread may in fact be a little bothered and angry.

But hey, I don't mind. Debate away my friend. I'll calm down and go watch TV. :)

29. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

How about the Swedish Chef?

Or mabye a full scale Sweetums?

Big Bird?

Snuffalufagus(sp)?

Did anybody mention Grover, Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch.

The Muppets could be a big money maker, It does have a much bigger audience than the sci-fi market.

30. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

The sour patch kids called, the want their grapes back.

31. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Romans Empire @ Jun 7 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]1258232[/snapback]</div>
    It's cool dude. I may get heated, by I'm not some shallow, flighty * is all, and I don't stew when people disagree with me. But I do when I say something as innocuous as, "I think Michael Jordan should've worn different shoes," and people respond, "What?" A lot of people like his shoes. You're dumb. Are you saying he should be banned from wearing shoes?"

And I'm not debating, as I don't care that much. But I'm apparently the member who gives an opinion while everyone else jumps on the "He's made of wood. He weighs the same as a duck. Burn him." bandwagon. People just got really into it, like me saying that MR should have done a different character is the same as me calling their kids ugly or their wife fat or something. Really overblown for what should be a prop DISCUSSION, not a prop "LET'S TAKE IT ALL PERSONALLY BECAUSE ONE MEMBER PREFERS A DIFFERENT MUPPET" thread. But I'm done. The Boba Fett comparison is my epiphany.

32. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 7 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]1257964[/snapback]</div>

You were predicting that Animal wouldn't seel and the Muppets line would be "falling by the same wayside" as the Alien license. That's what set people off. The reason you gave for that happening was the selection of Animal as the second release. Clearly most of the folks who bothered to hit this thread and post disagree with you.

Scooter and Rolf are first tier? I'd really like to know what criteria you're using to make this determination. I enjoy both of those characters, but they are Supporting Cast at best.

33. Lukes Roommate

Friends, and merchandise were both brought up as popularity gauges.

Merchandise IS an extremely good gauge of any character's popularity, and yes T-shirts count.
    If xxxx number of Animal T's, plushies etc. are sold to Pig's xx, then that makes a pretty decent statement about the character.

I think his popularity stems from his design, which is fantastic, and his party animal nature and quick cameos and bursts of comedy. I can't see how that's hard to understand, or how it's bewildering. Everyone likes a party animal (unless you have to live with one).

As for using friends as a popularity barometer, why not? Unless there is a Muppet report online somewhere, then using friends and comparing that with the what others say regarding any given character is a pretty good barometer seeing as we are only casually discussing this anyways.

And judging by the response here, I think the Animal fans have spoken ;)

34. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Add me to the list of "Animal" fans............ Sorry, but I'm a die hard Muppet fan and Animal has been my favorite since I watched the very first episode on TV. He may not be considered a main character, but he's certainly a well loved one. Maybe it's Piggy's characters persona/attitude that reduces her fan following. Some folks love Fozzy, but I hate fozzy.........I also hate comedians who "tank" as badly as Fozzy......so I guess it's what you like.

Personally, I'd take a Pepe, Animal, Kermit and Rizzo puppet and would consider my collection complete. :) Don't just assume that the main characters are the only ones with a huge fan base. MR has done marketing analyses for these Muppets and they are starting with the two #1 fan choices in all liklihood.

Don't take this as some sort of attack just because Piggy is #1 for you. :) It's all in good fun. It's okay to like what you like and let others like what they like.

Go Pepe.....

Dave :)

35. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

I'll take...... Animal, Swedish Chef , Beaker and Fozzi Muppets and would consider my collection complete :D :D

aljf :confused

36. dualedge

dualedge Sr Member

Maybe Animal is more popular outside of the hardcore fanbase? I know Animal has been my personal favorite since I was a kid watching the show and I'm not a big Muppets fan. The only muppets I'm really a "fan" of is Animal and Beaker... Maybe I'm weird but that's what I would have told you 25 some odd years ago when I was just a kid. I only remember because when I joined the Muppet show fan club I specifically asked for an autographed pic of Animal. I *always* liked the supporting cast better than Kermit, Piggy and Gonzo personally...

37. amish

amish Sr Member

Personally, I would love to see a Dr. Bunson and Beeker :) They are my favs.

38. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Heh heh... What caught my eye was this Gree-style pic. Doesn't look exactly like Gree but the top of the dome sure does...

[​IMG]

39. frosty

frosty Sr Member

great news., i am waiting on an Animal puppet, with moving eye brows, be cool to see what they come up with Animal has always been a favourite, ever since i was a kid.

40. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(amish @ Jun 8 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]1258406[/snapback]</div>

I would ALL OVER those two, but I'm not holding my breath.

41. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope Animal is the second one released as I will order him the first day as I did Kermit.

The Animal Muppet was based on Keith Moon one of the Greatest Drummers in Rock.

42. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ Jun 8 2006, 05:24 AM) [snapback]1258307[/snapback]</div>
    Which is NO EXCUSE for taking it like I threatened your first born. If you have to stomp a mudhole in the * of someone you disagree with, instead of engaging in reasoned conversation, you need to step back from the "My-childhood-is-under-attack." thought processes and calm yourself down.

Obviously, the fact that I've had to mention this several times now, means that the reasoned rebuttals didn't occur.

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ Jun 8 2006, 05:24 AM) [snapback]1258307[/snapback]</div>
    Because they had regular lines during each episode...

Animal was always a throw-away gag when they'd do a fifteen second shot of Dr. Teeth's band...

<div class='quotetop'>(Lukes Roommate @ Jun 8 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]1258317[/snapback]</div>
    Because I've had friends who've groaned at mention of Casablanca...and their opinion doesn't suddenly mean it's a bad film or Bogart's a bad actor.

<div class='quotetop'>(Lukes Roommate @ Jun 8 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]1258317[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. If you disagree you're an idiot and a jerk and should basically crawl back under the rock you came from as you're trying to destroy people's childhood memories and kill their puppy and leave a flaming bag of dog poo on their porch.

Good fans. :unsure

43. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

I think you're taking this WAY too seriously Gnrlotto.

The point being made is that many people appear to believe that Animal is much more popular than other muppets. You questioned it and this is the reply. I don' t know what you're trying to say with the memories, puppy and dog poo stuff, but honestly, that's just kinda sad.

Scooter may have been a regular cast member, but he was very forgettable. Animal was a scene stealer and thus got more attention, and therefore people liked him.

Again, I prefered Gonzo over Animal, but I'm not gonna argue that I think he is more popular. Piggy is well know and immediately recognizable as well, but definitely not as popular.

As well, I'm not judging this on just the opinion of a few of my friends, but I do include their opinion in my statements if I feel they are valid.

44. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

gnrlotto,

You need to calm WAY down.

PM sent.

45. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ Jun 8 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]1258525[/snapback]</div>
    Was that directed at me? It seems to be. All I've done is state that I didn't agree with your comparison to the way MR handeled their Alien license, and state my opinion that Animal was a fine choice for a second release.

I did ask for clarification on what criteria you were using to determine first tier, second tier characters. You shot two suggestions from other people, but made no suggestion of what criteria should be used.

I do agree that, generally speaking, this discussion has gotten more heated than it needed to be. However, just because someone disagrees with you that does not mean they are "attacking" you.

46. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Jun 8 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1258537[/snapback]</div>
    Humor used to illustrate the extreme nature to which people were taking their responses in which nearly every response included some sort of childhood memory-based reasoning (and defense as if I was attacking their experiences) which is way too emotional when you're dealing with a thing made of felt, fleece, and foam.

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ Jun 8 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]1258548[/snapback]</div>
    The collective "you." Not the personal.

47. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

So long as they do a Gonzo and a Chef, I'll be happy. I've been a Gonzo fan since I was young and watching Muppet Babies.

As for other characters being sold, I think Animal is an excellent choice for the second product. Instantly recognizable, and a fan favorite. They will probably eventually do a Piggy, but I don't see that product selling very well, personally. I have always hated her character, from the very beginning. Maybe it's that pompous Diva thing she has going, but I just can't stand Piggy at all. Here's my list of what I think they should sell, and in what order:

Kermit
    Animal
    Gonzo
    Fozzie
    Rolf
    Bunson and Beaker set
    Statler and Waldorf set
    Sweedish Chef

And then maybe a run of Fraggles, just for fun.

48. amish

amish Sr Member

Ahhhh Fraggles :)

Just give me Gobo Mokey Wembley Red and Uncle Traveling Matt and throw in a few Doozers (sp) and I would be happy. Anyway, for them to do any of these I am quite happy.

Wouldnt it also stand to reason that MR is not the ones that dictate which ones get done? Wouldnt that fall on Henson or whatever the company is that owns the characters?

49. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(amish @ Jun 8 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]1258583[/snapback]</div>
    I think that depends on the conditions of the license agreement. We have no way of knowing unless that documentation is accessible. It is reasonable to assume that the licensor would hold some control over which characters were offered and how they were presented. However, it is MR's product and it's also reasonable to assume that they would bargan for as much control over the license as Jim Henson Company (or whoever the licensor is) was willing to let them have.

50. obi1kenny

obi1kenny Well-Known Member

Cool stuff here, but I really donÂ’t know how you guys over looked the biggest news to hit the RPF in a very long time. See the pic again.

[​IMG]