Mr.Incredible 1st layer latex question

ShawDizzle

I added the first layer of latex and just wanted to be sure; the first layer dissolves into the suit right. I covered it and it was white, came down this morning and it was a thin layer of dried latex but the whiteness was gone. the regular suite colors were showing again. this is normal right? the following layers should add thickness and layer up and stay white, right?

Some latexs are more translucent then others. So, yes this is normal. The brush on Mold Builder that I have would probably never cover up the red while the Bat Black latex I have would cover it up well.

Once you get to your target thickness you just need to make sure your painting it well. :)

Some latexs are more translucent then others. So, yes this is normal. The brush on Mold Builder that I have would probably never cover up the red while the Bat Black latex I have would cover it up well.

Once you get to your target thickness you just need to make sure your painting it well. :)

I wound up using mold builder as well...im applying it with sponges...youre saying that the red wont go away? how many layers until it is gone enough? I was planning on doing 5 layers. How did yours come out using that kind of Latex and after painting and all??? If I bust my ass can I get it to look good?

when i paint up muscle suits etc, i do the first few layers in ordinary latex, then i add the next few coats with the basecolour mixed in, that will get rid of the orignal colour

when i paint up muscle suits etc, i do the first few layers in ordinary latex, then i add the next few coats with the basecolour mixed in, that will get rid of the orignal colour
That's a great tip!
The paint will be opaque and will look really good too.

I didn't do a Mr I suit. I have made a few things out of the Mold Builder though...

This is the 'wide body' expansion I made. It's 3 times as thick as the torso latex. I can't say for sure how many layers it was because I was going off of the way it looked and before I knew it, it was a lot more thick then I was wanting it to be. You can see that the black cloth backing showing through despite how thick it is.
I think if you follow monstermakers advice you'll have good results. :)
suit5.jpg

Pauldron-1.jpg

Thanx guys. The first layer is drying and Im about to add the second coat...i figure around 3 or 4 is when i will tint the latex to a flesh tone...question though. I know there are latex dyes....but can u also dye latex with a water based acrylic paint? I heard yes and no on this.....can or cant you?

That's a great tip!
The paint will be opaque and will look really good too.

I didn't do a Mr I suit. I have made a few things out of the Mold Builder though...

This is the 'wide body' expansion I made. It's 3 times as thick as the torso latex. I can't say for sure how many layers it was because I was going off of the way it looked and before I knew it, it was a lot more thick then I was wanting it to be. You can see that the black cloth backing showing through despite how thick it is.
I think if you follow monstermakers advice you'll have good results. :)
suit5.jpg

Pauldron-1.jpg

The only black parts is my zipper, but i plan on making the back real dark brown/black any way.,....i just gotta worry about the Mr.I logo on the chest

Yep.

You can add water to latex to thin it out. What I have found is the Mold Builder stuff will shrink a little more if you do it. It will also take a little longer to dry.

You don't want oil anywhere near the actual latex.

Your going to want it all one color to start as the base coat or primer. You don't have to use the paint/latex mix near the places that are dark, you can just use staight latex. It's all up to you.

Yep.

You can add water to latex to thin it out. What I have found is the Mold Builder stuff will shrink a little more if you do it. It will also take a little longer to dry.

You don't want oil anywhere near the actual latex.

Your going to want it all one color to start as the base coat or primer. You don't have to use the paint/latex mix near the places that are dark, you can just use staight latex. It's all up to you.

So what are you saying (this is my first time using this stuff lol). I have to thin the latex out before adding the acrylic pain? or will just mixing the paint in the can be fine once i get to that step? I probably will go flesh tone around the 4th layer....air brush some features on it, then add another layer of latex (5th) for the final one. That will give the skin a more real appearance right? more depth...

So my basic question here is i can just mix in the acrylic paint or do i gotta add water to thin it?

So my basic question here is i can just mix in the acrylic paint or do i gotta add water to thin it?
Just mix in the paint.

The only reason I mentioned water was your concern about water based. There are other ways of using this latex. If your brushing it on don't thin it.

Thank You for the tips man. much appreciated. I will hopefully post up some pics of my progress. Just hope this all comes out ok for my first shot at anything like this

I had to hold up after 3 layers cause i ran out of latex. haha. i ordered more but this time i went with monster maker latex because the crap i had was transparent as hell. i got my air brush today and the mask i ordered, piece by piece coming through.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back