MR Han Solo EE ANH blaster

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by yodaman, Feb 22, 2006.

1. yodaman

yodaman Sr Member

MRBryan announced last night at Rebelscum that the next EE would be the Solo ANH blaster. Here's an overview:

Just FYI to anyone interested.

2. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Finally..

I've had to hide my contribution to the project like a secret agent for 4 months now. :p
    [​IMG]

I believe I provided MR with the most accurate interpretation of the ANH/Sitting Target cradle & bracket ever designed. Given the sincere desire I witnessed on everybody's part to get this right once and for all (within manufacturing and cost constraints, of course), I'm VERY optimistic. :thumbsup :) I was going to post this later on the scope bracket research thread anyway (with MR's blessing), but I'm happy to post this teaser here. The scope, once again, is just a simplified dummy model - I'm working on a dead-on replica of my own as well... :love ):

The EE antenna greeblies will be idealized and centered, as no doubt they were originally intended. I firmly belonged to the camp that believed a SCREEN-used prop replica should reflect what was SEEN on SCREEN, not pre-production or post-production. But removable greeblies are a nice compromise that should please the purists on both sides of the debate, and no tools will be required... :angel

Oh, and I also consulted on the front grill and scope geometry, and I'm very happy with the resulting design. :D

That's all I know or am allowed to tell, so please don't bombard me with questions or requests for pictures - I'm sure MR will be doing its own show & tell very soon. :)

- Gabe

3. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It'll be the best Han ANH licensed replica out there - I am psyched.

4. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So right about now would be a good time to start selling the house that I haven't bought yet?

5. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

As am I. I regretted getting rid of my LE and now we're going to get a much nicer representation with the EE. :)

Although... my wallet is bawling right now...

6. eddie vader

eddie vader New Member

This sounds very cool. Will the trigger and slide work like the LE? I have to admit that is the coolest thing about the original MR release.

E. Vader

7. amish

amish Sr Member

Great news. Also, very cool that you are involved in this Gabe, congratulations...

I saw no mention of the suppressor. Will that be accurate as well ;-)

Tom

8. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

This is GREAT news. How many internal organs will I need to sell?

Todd

9. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know you're working on the supressor right now Gabe, but will you be doing a run of the scope mount as well as the scope you mentioned?

10. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm in the same boat as Joe...

I regretted getting rid of my original MR ANH. I may just have to get this one. $500 or so should be the max though...

-Gary

11. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Thanks, Tom. :)

E. Vader: I honestly don't know the answer regarding the trigger & hammer, but I know a sliding bolt is not gonna happen. I did lobby hard for a working trigger at the very least, but that decision is ultimately Lucasfilm's. Let's hope Bryan coughs up that info on Rebel Scum and it gets reposted here.

DOH. Forgot to mention that I provided the suppressor design to MR as well. It was practically finished when I started on the project, but recently I tweaked the round on the leading edge of the booster section as well as modified the knurling groove angle and depth, and those changes will be reflected in the final version.

The RPF suppressor run is with MR's blessing, but even if I wanted to offer a scope & bracket, I've got so many other things on my plate right now that by the time I finally get around to it, all the EEs would be sold out already. :p

But if anyone is interested in a Sitting Target setup, I'll maybe cross that bridge when I get to it... ;)

- Gabe

12. Matsuo

Matsuo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm thinking the working trigger might be subject to the source country for the replica. As with the sterling based replicas the ones coming from china were restricted from having working triggers...I guess they have to have their rules...

China: "It's ok to build an exact replica of a weapon with all metal parts, weight and feel, practically identical to the real thing...but for gods sake dont give it a movable trigger." :rolleyes

Kudos to you Gabe for your contribution they couldn't have made a wiser choice. :thumbsup

M

13. TFrosst

*, I was really looking forward to, at the very least, some nice brass scope replicas. I have a question though. You mentioned wiht MR's blessing your'e producing these. Not to step on any toes here, but since these are all found pieces, does Lucasfilm/MR hold any rights over the individual pieces or just the blaster as a whole?

14. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome--great work Gabe. I'd better start saving now, this will be my one definite MR purchase this year :)

Dave C

15. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

First, Gabe - congrats :thumbsup . Awesome work, bro :D

TFrosst does bring up a good point though. The MG81 suppressor is a found item. LFL or MR should absolutely no say in when or how you offer replicas. There is no reason that you should need their blessing to offer this piece to us. Unless you did the design work on their machines, money and time, it should be yours to do with as you please.

-Fred

16. atacpdx

atacpdx Well-Known Member

Hey guys...

MR and LFL aren't really saying anything to Gabe about the parts. He took it upon himself to ask them. He also took it upon himself to give them a chance to sell out before he offers parts. That is his choice because he wants to extend them that courtesy, because he is a ultra ethical guy and because he has a wroking relationship with them. I'd hate to see MR or LFL get bashed for no reason. The only thing they have dictated to him is not revealing the Solo EE work info till now.

Good work Gabe.

17. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

That is very disappointing. :cry I'm already on the buy list for the flash suppressor, and I was really looking forward to at least the mounting bracket (if not the whole scope assembly) as the next project.

Gabe,
    Is there any chance of you making your scope bracket drawings available? I have found blue prints of the scope from other sources, but nothing for the mounting bracket.

18. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I don't see how someone owning a replica suppressor is going to cut into MR sales. Who says "woohoo - I've a replica machine gun suppressor - who needs a stupid MR blaster"?

The two are independant of each other. I already have a nice blaster built on an MGC. I want to upgrade it with Gabe's part. I have no intention of buying MR's blaster because there are other things I'd rather spend the money on. And what about MG81 owner's that couldn't give a rat's a$$ about star wars? Should MR and LFL be in charge of whether or not these people can complete their guns?

I understand Gabe is giving a courtesy to MR and LFL, but there shouldn't be a need to in this case.

-Fred

19. TFrosst

Lets just hope this blaster will be released in the next few months cause we all know it'll see out the day it come out anyway. Then Gabe can get on those other projects :love (cough..scope/scopemount..cough)

20. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So would now be the time to sell the original MR Han ANH? :p

21. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Taking pics tomorrow, Marcus - when there's decent (hopefully.) daylight.
    I guess around £750 should be okay for a BIN.

Howard.

22. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Quite an expected piece for them to do. I have the original one MR did and like it a lot. I have no intention of selling it. It's still the first one MR made. This one will have to be pretty special to have me buy another one. For me, the working hammer/trigger is a must, since the first piece had it. Personally, I'd prefer one with some electronics rather than the whole EE route. Any feel yet when these might be up for preorder and when the release timing will be?

23. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the price will be ?? and you on the board will be offering them :D

Thanks,
    aljf :confused

24. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

IIRC, the EE items are Collector Society direct purchase only.

25. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Thanks, Mark. That's pretty much my take on reality, and hopefully we can avoid any idle talk of LFL or MR suppressing my RPF projects or anyone else's - I have yet to see a single case of that happening, and they wouldn't need to, given the foregone conclusion that whatever edition size they offer will be gone in minutes like tickets to a Rolling Stones concert. :p

To answer some of the concerns and questions about my blaster upgrade parts, let's review: the suppressor run is with MR's blessing, and besides, thanks to Darth Lars, we now know it's a WWII German machine gun part, so LFL has no jurisdiction, and I'm not making a single change to it. MR is modifying the interior of the suppressor CAD model I provided in order to attach it to their EE Mauser replica's bull barrel. The scope & bracket were used together in Sitting Target, which provided all of the recent breakthroughs in the design. Were it not for Chris Trevas' discovery of the movie's lobby still on eBay and my follow-up discoveries of the movie's 35 mm trailer reel and another lobby still on eBay, none of the EE design upgrades would have been possible, short of the owner of the screen-used prop (whoever he may be) stepping up to loan MR his property. The bull barrel, seen prior to Star Wars in The Naked Runner, is a whole different animal, and there's no single simple way to offer it as a replica upgrade without considerable rework to a Denix, MGC, or real C96. I'm looking into some possibilities, but it's safe to say that MR will have long sold out of the EE blaster before I ever get around to it. :p

My time and resources will be stretched pretty thin over the next few months, so courtesy to MR notwithstanding, in all probability I'll be getting the EE myself before I'm ready to move forward on any additional upgrade projects. :)

This *WILL* be the one to save up for, people - don't hesitate for even a second. :love

- Gabe

26. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

The ONLY and I mean ONLY thing that makes me sad about the announcement of this blaster is that I fear for the finish of the final product. I'd be so tempted to weather if it doesn't come that way that it may drive me to not buy one for fear of ruining its collectable nature :(

I LOVE the weathering on my OB1 ANH and also on my Training remote...I wonder if the Solo blaster will be of the same caliber(excuse the pun :p ) or a straight finish like the ESB???

Steve

27. sithmasterjedi

sithmasterjedi Well-Known Member

It will be weathered and I'm pretty sure it will have a working trigger/hammer

28. TFrosst

Wasn't there a problem with laws in China over the ESB Han blaster? MR could't make it working because Of Chinese Law (either export or production). Now, I don't see these blasters being made anywhere other then where they make everything else-which is China. One could then conclude that the Gun will be different from the ESB blaster (because it's an EE) but will have the same non-working features because of the laws over there. I'm a bit sketchy on the details so if someone could correct any mistakes, please do.

29. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Matsuo is correct: weapon replicas made in China cannot have a moving trigger or hammer.

Chinese law, not MR or LFL.

30. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

Maybe they can finish them with triggers and hammers here in the states before sending them to customers...it can be thought of as final QC too.

Bruce

31. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

It's an interesting question that I raised with MR myself. From my own dealings with Chinese vendors, it's apparent that different provinces have different laws. After all, China is one of the world's largest exporters of firearms. From what I understand, the province where MR's factory is located has stricter laws, and unless they decide to outsource parts of the blaster or its assembly to other provinces, we should probably expect a static Mauser. But that's just my speculation - it in no way, shape or form represents any of MR's policies.

I think that I've cocked and "fired" my Denix-based Han blaster maybe 10 times in all the years I've owned it. Pulled back the bolt *MAYBE* 3 times. These are basically display pieces, destined to collect dust and be admired from behind glass or clear acrylic. People should also consider that were it not for the replicas being static, some countries would not even allow its importation.

Unlike sabers, firearms are a whole different animal, and I'd rather see a 99% accurate STATIC replica than one based on a dirty Denix. :)

- Gabe

32. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It kind of ticks me off to have ANOTHER version of the supposed "limited edition" replica I shelled out a lot of money for years ago being made by the very company that I bought it from. I'm sure the value will plummet now.

33. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Would you rather have preferred see MR rest on its laurels with a grossly inaccurate replica despite all the recent discoveries? Should they not have released the Luke ANH saber because Icons had already done it? C'mon, man... You can't even say that the two blasters will be even COSMETICALLY similar, like with the EE sabers - we're talking a complete and total overhaul of this prop, starting with the Mauser itself, and I can't think of ANY other Star Wars prop that has undergone this many changes from the LE to EE. In fact, not a SINGLE element of the EE will resemble the LE. NOT ONE. Will people say the same thing if MR one day releases an EE Obi ANH saber showcasing the recent discoveries of the emitter and gear found items? :p

I can't think of a better reason to release an EE of any prop if it has undergone significant accuracy improvements since the last release. And Betamin - I doubt your LE will take anywhere NEAR the nose dive in value you predict, because the EE will be an EXTREMELY limited edition and the general public probably won't even get wind of it before it's sold out. I'm VERY confident that your investment is sound and will only appreciate over time. :)

- Gabe

34. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Great news.

Are the preorders up yet? If not when?

Thanks

35. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

Whats Collector Society direct purchase ? do I have to join the MR club to get the blaster ?

36. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Yep. You have to be a CS member.

37. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

I can do this from there web page correct, then I will be eligible to purchase the blaster :D

38. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Here ya go :)

http://masterreplicas.com/customer/starwar...il.php?pid=8541

39. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

Great Thanks .. :D

40. elwood49

elwood49 New Member

Wow, I knew this piece was inevitable but I'm really excited about it. Can any Han blaster experts out there explain just how idealized the new EE version will be? For example, did the original have a wood handle? (I assume that it did not)

As far as LE owners are concerned, why not just strike while the iron is hot and dump it on Ebay? You could buy the EE and still have a ton of cash left over.

41. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

I'm going to sell mine, but Im not sure what to ask. I guess I'll wait and see :unsure

42. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Any estimated cost of the EE?

43. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting that there will be distinctions. But are you sure you're not overstating the differences a little? To say not a single thing will look even slightly similar? To me, that would mean it's as different as the Han ESB is to the Han ANH. Or even the Greedo-killer to the hero. From what I can see, the LE was pretty darn close already.

I'm just waiting to see comparison photos of the two (EE/LE) before I decide. I just don't see how the LE could be *that* wrong. Blurry, zoomed-in screencaps and production photos from different angles really aren't helpful for me- I need identical, side-by-side comparisons.

44. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Trust me when I say that not a SINGLE component on the EE - except for maybe the front/rear thumb screws - will be identical to the LE. Similarities? Sure, from 5 feet away, maybe. But line the parts up next to each other and the differences will just POP out. On the LE, dimensions were off on practically everything. Details were missing or misinterpreted. And most importantly, the parts were scaled to match the Denix, which is wrong on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin. :p The retooled Mauser is dead-on accurate to a real one and so all the parts are scaled correctly to match it. Not since MGC has the C96 been replicated so faithfully.

I spent so many hours and sleepless nights torturing myself over the minutest details, like whether an edge round or fillet was 0.25 mm or 0.5 mm, whether knurl grooves were 60 or 90 degrees, whether the cut-back flanges on the cradle were just the right depth or maybe 0.1 mm shallower due to the slight perspective angle, whether the pin on the scope knob was at the right angle, whether the taper on the front grill's 5 upper fins was 3 degrees or 5, that during the project I had dreams and nightmares about it all - I kid you guys not. :lol

Anyone less fanatical than I am would have settled for "looks ok." But those who've witnessed my obsession with this prop will tell you that I will not compromise - ESPECIALLY if my cad skills, research creds, and forum rep are to be showcased on a LICENSED replica, for God's sake. :p

Even if MR doesn't make a semi-functional Mauser or use gunsmith-quality manufacturing methods to fabricate the parts, they will still be more accurate than any fan-made interpretation ever attempted. I recognize that I stand on the shoulders of blaster replica pioneers like Bobadebt, Gavidoc, Wakal, Moffeaton, Corellian Exports, and others, and I've always been inspired by their dedication to accuracy and upgrading older versions based on newly-found reference materials. If it's the way we approach replicas, why would anyone criticize MR for adopting the same philosophy? :)

- Gabe

45. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

yes sadly now that the news is out about the EE, you old blaster is only worth 5$ :(

luckily im a sucker and just happen to have 10$ so thats double what you will get anywhere, so PM me for my address and shipping instructions and ill take that innaccurate piece of junk off your hands. :unsure

cmon guys, if people buy MR stuff as an investment (which i find a little absurd) then they should see that its still a sold out original piece... so therefore if it was ever a good investment for what it was... it still will be.

awesome stuff gabe.

cant wait to see this thing i hope they find a way to have the working trigger, also any idea how they will attatch the antenae? does it kinda shim under the suppressor?

46. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

:love

Let it NOT be said that MR no longer has creative in-house designers and project managers... They did an amazing job all around. :) Please refer all questions regarding pricing, edition size, materials, finish, functionality, and display options to MRBryan in the Rebel Scum EE thread - I'm not authorized to disclose that kind of info.

By the way - even if you're a CS member, I wouldn't sell your LE yet if you have one, because with a low edition number, chances are some people won't get in on time. So start saving your pennies, because this will be the Holy Grail of all blasters. :D

- Gabe

47. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Gabe...you're trying to hurt me right....you wanna inflict pain into my collecting soul....to suck the very blood of my Star Wars prop entity.....

It's a mad house....a MAD HOUSE. :lol

Steve

48. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I don't doubt your dedication to the details, Gabe. I respect and admire it.

For me, I look at the LE and I go "Hey, that's Han Solo's blaster from Star Wars. Cool."

I don't look at it and go "Wow, what a piece of junk."

From what I've been hearing about the EE, it makes it sound like it is :cry , which is why I'm desperate for some direct comparison shots. I want to see how much of a piece of junk mine is before I shell out more $$$ :angry

49. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Sorry, Riv - I may have come off a bit overzealous earlier. Notice I never knocked the quality or workmanship of the LE, but it was, after all, one of MR's first props and until very recently visual references were limited at best. They did the best with what was made available to them by LFL and the fans, and at the time, it WAS the most accurate replica out there. And MR wasn't responsible for the Denix - it was also the best affordable replica out there at the time, and still is.

I cried myself to sleep for months after missing out on the LE release and over the outrageous markups they were going for with retailers and on eBay. It was in fact that led to my passion to make my own. :) It's funny how things work out like that...

Bottom line, proudly display either your LE, favorite fan made blaster, the upcoming EE, or all three, because you're one of the few who will ever have that opportunity. :)

- Gabe

50. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any clues as to how much $$$ it'll be? I've thought about getting a MR membership, but not being a fan or collector of their tiny sabers, :p I don't know if I want to get one just to find the blaster is out of my price range or is sold out in 30 seconds.