MR focus group

Originally posted by agent5@Apr 5 2006, 05:16 PM
TFrosst,
              The Raven Bar headpiece IS the headpiece Indy uses in the Map Room.  The one we see on Sallah's rooftop is the same one as seen in Imam's house, the standard ebay version.  Being that we do see the Sallah/Imam headpiece all over the place, especially all over Ebay, I think it would be incredible to get ahold of the other headpiece, especially since we know it would be cast directly off the original. 
I only hope when MR does these in any form, they keep the bottom of the headpiece open so we can mount it on a staff if we choose to.  As you well know the standard ebay headpieces are solid on the bottom and if they do add the staff  attachements they're generally drilled out holes, not squared off slots as in the film.
[snapback]1220367[/snapback]​

Really?? I oculd have sworn it looks different than the one Indy uses in the map room. The one Marion holds looks like it has so much more of a convex surface. The other just seem much more flat. It may just be the way it was shot but it never looked like the ones in the rest of the movie.

Originally posted by agent5@Apr 5 2006, 04:16 PM
TFrosst,
              The Raven Bar headpiece IS the headpiece Indy uses in the Map Room.  The one we see on Sallah's rooftop is the same one as seen in Imam's house, the standard ebay version.  Being that we do see the Sallah/Imam headpiece all over the place, especially all over Ebay, I think it would be incredible to get ahold of the other headpiece, especially since we know it would be cast directly off the original. 
I only hope when MR does these in any form, they keep the bottom of the headpiece open so we can mount it on a staff if we choose to.  As you well know the standard ebay headpieces are solid on the bottom and if they do add the staff  attachements they're generally drilled out holes, not squared off slots as in the film.
[snapback]1220367[/snapback]​

Good Idea actually. I would back that big time.

I would like to see:

CE reissue of ANH Solo Blaster and Sabers
Uniforms and costumes from SW and Trek

Any Indy props (staying clear of the Hat, Whip etc. since all are otherwise available)

FX Dooku, Obi Wan Ep II, Yoda, Sidious, Qui Gonn as well as all of the old EL sabers reissued with LED's

FX series with swappable blades or a DIY saber building kit or kits, with the pitch being

Introducing: The Custom FX Lightsaber System

"I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete." - Embrace your inner Jedi and take your final step to Knighthood.

I would buy these on pre order with my grocery money .

KK2

I don't understand people's unquestioning preference toward metal as a building material. If they eventually come out with council member sabers in the CE line that are made out of metal, I'm not buying them. It's not accurate. I don't know what I'm going to do about the Qui Gon now.

The hero Qui Gon saber that MR was presented with from the LFL archives was resin, not metal. Making it out of die cast is wrong, and until they screwed it up the CE was possibly going to be more accurate than the LE. Granted they'll probably sell more die cast ones than they would have because people always love metal, so that's their right to make the decision. The weight of the die cast/plated AOTC sabers is rediculous. Especially on the skinny little Anakin one.

I just don't get it. Helmet people have such a preference toward including all flaws and wonky asymmetry because it's accurate. If a metal saber isn't accurate, it isn't accurate. How about a resin Darth Maul saber? Mine is. I didn't get the MR one.

Well first of all Godzilla....Star Wars is not real to begin with.

So accuracy is a subjective term. Even MR sabers are slightly cleaned up so if your aiming for anal film accuracy....they arent 100%.

Metal is idea for long term enjoyment. Its stronger, lasts longer, is not susceptible to breaking like plastic, nor heat, sunlight etc.

As for weight? Why is this a problem? Do you plan on wearing this thing to work? Its a glorified paperweight...

I understand and appreciate the uber accurate interest, I really do....I specialize in historical reproductions for museums and higher end collectors....and let me tell you...you think this kinda film research and anal reconstruction is intense...hah. But at the same time balance film accuracy with reality....with durability...and frankly man, longevity. Wouldnt you rather know your prop will last a lifetime rather than potentially breaking, wearing, damaging.....I mean half the fun is holding the thing, but even the best kung fu grip looses once in a while.

Originally posted by fettpride@Apr 5 2006, 12:40 AM
MR really should "Focus" on fixing the screw-up's before planning new products ...
[snapback]1220119[/snapback]​

Yeah. :rolleyes I never wanted to buy anything from MR, until I saw the Ep3 Clonetrooper helmets. But that whole mess, combined with their tendency to "move on" to the next product WHILE they delay the last ones because of quality control issues (that come off to the customers as utter incompetence), has made me swear off all things MR. Period.

Don't give me that "Star Wars isn't real" crap like I'm asking George Lucas if a Star Destroyer could beat the USS Enterprise. Prop accuracy is not subjective. It's accurate or it isn't and that includes building materials. People like props because they exist in the real world to be used by real life actors, and they survive the filmmaking process in the real world even after the film has gone on to exist in a world of fantasy.

I'm don't go trooping. I don't go to shows. I'm not going to wear my lightsaber to work, thank you very much. But I was disappointed when some of MR's lightsabers were obviously much heavier than the screen prop would have been. That's not strictly in the realm of uber-accuracy.

If someone wants to make things out of metal because that's what they imagine it to be in the fantasy universe, then fine. It's the same as making a cutaway lightsaber or something like that. Do what you like. But metal for the sake of metal impresses me about as much as a 99 cent die cast Hot Wheel.
Metal doesn't equal quality. Manufacturing die cast in bulk is cheap.

Adam

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Apr 5 2006, 07:48 PM
Well first of all Godzilla....Star Wars is not real to begin with.

So accuracy is a subjective term.  Even MR sabers are slightly cleaned up so if your aiming for anal film accuracy....they arent 100%.

Metal is idea for long term enjoyment.  Its stronger, lasts longer, is not susceptible to breaking like plastic, nor heat, sunlight etc.

As for weight?  Why is this a problem?  Do you plan on wearing this thing to work?    Its a glorified paperweight...

I understand and appreciate the uber accurate interest, I really do....I specialize in historical reproductions for museums and higher end collectors....and let me tell you...you think this kinda film research and anal reconstruction is intense...hah.    But at the same time balance film accuracy with reality....with durability...and frankly man, longevity.  Wouldnt you rather know your prop will last a lifetime rather than potentially breaking, wearing, damaging.....I mean half the fun is holding the thing, but even the best kung fu grip looses once in a while.
[snapback]1220508[/snapback]​

Let's not forget that die cast doesn't necessarily mean poor quality.

I have several amazing die cast pieces that are incredible. Good die cast mold making is an art form and MR are lucky enough to work with one of the world's premiere die cast tool makers.

Barry

Originally posted by darthinwah@Apr 4 2006, 09:30 PM
Hello,

This may have been posted before so ignore if so. If not, I and few other luck guys have been selected to visit Master Replicas corporate office to talk about upcoming products. If you have suggestions or requests for future releases, please post here.

thanx.
Hope to help out.
[snapback]1220115[/snapback]​

Looking forward to seeing you there...I also was selected to attend.

Ask MR when they're gonna actually announce the release of the Classic Enterprise and when it will be featured on their webpg. I'm not too hopeful it will get produced for 2006, w/ just vague blog comments.

Originally posted by Barry@Apr 6 2006, 02:09 PM
Let's not forget that die cast doesn't necessarily mean poor quality.

I have several amazing die cast pieces that are incredible. Good die cast mold making is an art form and MR are lucky enough to work with one of the world's premiere die cast tool makers.

Barry
[snapback]1220744[/snapback]​

Yes, yes, to Barry you listen. I'd prefer a metal sabre (and a resin as well.).

Please make real working Star Wars Laser Guns - like in the movie and real lightsabers so I can cut stuff.

:D

Prop accuracy is not subjective

ah cmon, Godzilla....yes it is....I mean go the absurd route....achieving scratches and minute details until youve gone blind. In the historical community, we use the term extrapolation a lot...meaning a reasonable replica based on known examples, but not on a known example. The term accuracy has a widely different meaning. So too here accuracy is highly subjective. I share your love for accurate details....trust me I do. I ALSO appreciate using other materials for other reasons. If one guy says its accurate enough...isnt that accuracy to him? Its all about where the 'enough' factors into the equation....especially in light of time, money, time and more money. (whos time, whos money)

IMHO, this thread is pointless. A "council"? Hogwash. MR is WELL aware that by simply coming to the RPF they can get all the customer "council" they need. So they're going to chose a few odd people to get their opinions??? Hey, MR, just start reading HERE. THIS is your target group...and you can do it from the comfort of your offices.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Apr 6 2006, 03:55 AM
Prop accuracy is not subjective

ah cmon, Godzilla....yes it is....I mean go the absurd route....achieving scratches and minute details until youve gone blind. In the historical community, we use the term extrapolation a lot...meaning a reasonable replica based on known examples, but not on a known example. The term accuracy has a widely different meaning. So too here accuracy is highly subjective. I share your love for accurate details....trust me I do. I ALSO appreciate using other materials for other reasons. If one guy says its accurate enough...isnt that accuracy to him? Its all about where the 'enough' factors into the equation....especially in light of time, money, time and more money. (whos time, whos money)
[snapback]1220879[/snapback]​
This is an odd statement from you, DS. Weren't you on about the accuracy of your belt boxes over everyone else's? I have to agree with Godzilla, for the most part. That said, I personally do not mind the die-casting of parts on the CE items. They are meant to be less expensive, overall, and that is their interest. If people want the more accurate, expensive items, they will go with the LE or the Signature Series.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back