MR Falcon Missing Piece

eFXBarry

You may have heard some people complaining about a "missing" piece on one of the front mandibles of Falcons they have received. While it's not impossible that some parts might have been damaged (there are a lot of small fragile parts on this piece), MR need to figure out the scope of the problem, if in fact it is a problem.

The starboard (right) cockpit side mandible should have two small detailed parts as shown below.
StarboardFRONTMandible1copy.jpg

The port (left) radar dish side mandible should have one part at the top corner but NO part on the lower corner as shown below.
PortFRONTmandiblecopy.jpg

There is evidence to support that the Falcon did indeed have an extra detail part on the lower left mandible, but it broke off long ago.

MR are charged with replicating the model as exactly as we can, as it exists in the archives today (excluding obvious damage and wear and tear). If clear evidence is available where we can point directly to a part that's missing and show EXACTLY what it was, then we can add it back on. This was NOT the case on the front mandible. The part was missing and we had no CLEAR pics proving what kit part had been used. Rather than make it up we left it off.

The Falcon travels the world on display and this, along with age, takes a toll on the model.
One detailed part on the underside had been replace with an unpainted gray plastic duplicate. Dean when painting his master, copied the pics of the model and painted the part gray. Common sense told us that it should have been body coloured and we had a clear older pic of the underside that supported this, so we got the factory to ignore the gray part on the master and paint it body coloured.

A huge amount of research went into this but some choices had to be made with Lucasfilm.

If people THINK a part is missing please get them to check this thread. If it's on the PORT (LEFT) mandible then there should only be ONE detailed part. If it's on the STARBOARD (RIGHT) mandible then there should be TWO detailed pieces.

Thanks for looking.

Barry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ketzer.com @ Dec 14 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]1377298[/snapback]</div>
Here's a picture of what the lower detail on the left mandible looked like when the original ILM model was brand new:

missing_part.jpg

Tim
[/b]

Aftermarket retro fit kit, Tim ;)

Barry

Hey,

For those of you are cant live without it..

Try and IDENTIFY and FIND IT.

Do it as..." a challenge". that way you can see how much fun Tim, Moe and Ihad for the last 10 years.

;-)

Frank Cerney

Lets see....Empire Filmed in what.....1979?

And....MR started working on this....hmmm....2005?

:eek

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imaginager @ Dec 14 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]1377922[/snapback]</div>
Before I start down that rabbit hole, though, was the part still attached to the model for filming of ESB? :D
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BrundelFly @ Dec 13 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]1377466[/snapback]</div>
Hey,

For those of you are cant live without it..

Try and IDENTIFY and FIND IT.

Do it as..." a challenge". that way you can see how much fun Tim, Moe and Ihad for the last 10 years.

;-)

Frank Cerney
[/b]

Here's a stupid question: Is the "lost" mandible part different than the corresponding part on the other side? It looks the same to me (probably because I'm not a studio scale kitbashing expert).

Mike

Let's see...Empire filmed in 1979...and the model makers were always having to make repairs to the models during filming. So, CLEARLY it's possible that the piece went missing before the lense touched it.

Frank, it's almost like you're unhappy that I didn't put in the work to make my own model and bought one complete instead...what's with the attitude. If you're unhappy that I'm ecstatic with the model, I'm sorry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BrundelFly @ Dec 14 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]1377997[/snapback]</div>
Lets see....Empire Filmed in what.....1979?

And....MR started working on this....hmmm....2005?

:eek

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imaginager @ Dec 14 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]1377922[/snapback]
Before I start down that rabbit hole, though, was the part still attached to the model for filming of ESB? :D
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

"Let's see...Empire filmed in 1979...and the model makers were always having to make repairs to the models during filming. So, CLEARLY it's possible that the piece went missing before the lense touched it.

Frank, it's almost like you're unhappy that I didn't put in the work to make my own model and bought one complete instead...what's with the attitude. If you're unhappy that I'm ecstatic with the model, I'm sorry.
"

Thats a stretch.
Not sure where that came from.

I took the post about the part being on during EMPIRE...that...maybe MR should have somehow caught KNOWN it was there. I thought it was a funny jest...so...I made a funny jest back.

Nothing more was meant by it....but people read what they THINK the author meant.....not necessarily was the author intended.

Human Nature.

I apologize if it caused any heartache. That was not my intent.

Frank

No worries. I read more into your post than was there. I apologize. My bad. :D

And, to be fair, I know I wouldn't have this replica without your participation, knowledge and research. ;)

Signature Edition #12 has all of the madible parts accounted for and attatched :D

This model rocks - Frank, Moe, Dean, Barry and the rest of the MR team - THANKS - Honestly this IS my grail model that I know deep down I never would have had the time to research and build from scratch. The only thing better would have been about a 2000 part kit ;)

Sincere thanks.
Jedi Dade

imaginager,
ASCI Text Sucks. Its the cause of alot of unneeded and unintentional grief that actually never existed between anyone.

no harm no foul. And thank you. I really appreciate what you and Jedi Dade, wrote. Real credit belongs to Moe and MR. Tim and I both agree he is Mr Falcon, and MR went though as much trouble trying to produce this thing as anyone had trying to actually build it from scratch.

They did an AMAZING Job. Im in as much awe as anyone else.

So let me get something straight here................MR believes that some of us should get ALL the mandible parts, yet some of us should only get the parts that exist in the archives next Tuesday???? I don't understand exactly what has happened. If MR makes the mandibles with all 4 parts for some people, how can it be intentional that other people only get 3 of the 4????

Did I read this wrong Barry???

Dave

Dave,

When ILM completed the 32" Falcon, each of the arms had 2 pieces. When MR began development of their replica, the same ILM 32" Falcon had 2 pieces on the right arm, but only 1 piece on the left arm. One of the pieces went missing between construction and the time MR started creating their replica.

All of those who ordered the MR replica should get all 3 of the original 4 detail pieces that were on the mandible arms of the ILM filming model. That's the condition the model was in when MR got to it.

Evidently, someone reported not having all of the mandible arm detail pieces. But, I don't know if it was ever confirmed that the person was actually missing any of the 3 included mandible arm detail pieces.

If you have 3 pieces, you're good. :D

Allan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vaderdarth @ Dec 15 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]1378882[/snapback]</div>
So let me get something straight here................MR believes that some of us should get ALL the mandible parts, yet some of us should only get the parts that exist in the archives next Tuesday???? I don't understand exactly what has happened. If MR makes the mandibles with all 4 parts for some people, how can it be intentional that other people only get 3 of the 4????

Did I read this wrong Barry???

Dave
[/b]

3 pieces. 2 on the right mandible and 1 on the left is how we researched and built it. Phillip Wise over at Rebelscum was missing a part from the right mandible which caused people to incorrectly assume that the space on their left mandible mean that something was missing.

Hope that clears up the CONFUSION :D

Barry

Pretty amazing how much fuzz this tiny missing piece creates, and how few comments there are about the hundreds of pieces that are there...

Tim

Spare a thought for me. I'm missing the ENTIRE model, base, shipping box etc. :lol

Seeing all these photos really makes me wish mine would hurry up and ship.

Chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back