MR Clonetrooper white review

TK765

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is the second helmet I have recieved, the first being the yellow StarCorps. This one is #20

Now if your goal is to weather or distress the helmet then this helmet would suit your purpose, I had no such intent.

The first thing I noticed and its very blatant, unfortunately its hard to capture with a flash, are numerous 3"-4" dia. areas where it looks like it was repainted. These are very noticable because the color is NOT a match. Where the helmet has a pure white color, these resprayed areas are very noticably yellowish and dull in appearance. They look like an attempt to fix blemishes or flaws in the paint.

The first spot is on the left front dome, the second is the back rear and there are numerous areas under the tubes.

These are so noticable my 10 year old spotted them.

It looks like they still have not address whatever quality problems that caused the delays. The quality of this is unacceptable, I could have done better with a spray can of paint.

[attachmentid=6168]

Hoo boy.

I think I can see the spots- at 2:00 and at 7:00. Not good.

Are you sure it's not just grubby handprints, though? Something from when they handled them? Try a quick bit of mild dish soap on it.

So sorry to hear this. The reviews of the other helmets didn't say anything about problems like this. Hopefully, this will be an isolated incident and you can get it replaced. I look forward to getting one of these.

For them taking this long those helmets should be perfect..Not acceptable. I can see the paint color variation in your photos.

That's a shame about the paint. It's still a great looking helmet. MR should send you a replacement. I wouldn't be too upset with the paintjob since I plan on repainting mine but as a collector that's unacceptable.

Originally posted by Jediwannabe@Jan 24 2006, 12:39 AM
I think I like the plain one the best.
[snapback]1166517[/snapback]​

Indeed. I'm trying to come up the $ to get one of these (been through the sofa and floor boards of the car... still short a few (thousand) cents :p )

I'm not above fixing something up, but a brand new collectible should not need to be fixed up at any price... and especially not over the $300 mark. Now that these are shipping I'll be looking forward to more reviews to see if this is an isolated incident or a reoccuring quality control issue. If the latter, I'm going to have reconsider how far I'm will to dig under the clothes dryer for loose change.

Best of luck resolving this TK765. Hopefully MR will step up and take care it of it for you.

I can't see a thing in those pics, you guys that can see something in those pics have better eyes then me. :lol

I like the helmet...

Compared to the AA helmet, the people who "think" this helmet is too small are so wrong on all counts. I could see their point if the MR was smaller the the AA, but it isn't.
Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@Jan 24 2006, 08:08 AM
Compared to the AA helmet, the people who "think" this helmet is too small are so wrong on all counts. I could see their point if the MR was smaller the the AA, but it isn't.
Lynn
[snapback]1166657[/snapback]​

Of course bad paint is the point of the thread, but the pic exactly nails the size issue in that, even w/o a thicker material, the dome circumfrence is much smaller and the cheek to cheek size is significantly smaller. Great pic. Still getting all but the white, even though I wouldn't troop in any of them. At l;east the white mohawk is correct on this one, even if discolored.

Here is a pic of a few of the areas that were affected. Like I said they are hard to photograph but are very obvious when seen in person.

Its disappointing that this would pass as acceptable to sell.

I know I can return for another but I shouldn't have too.

[attachmentid=6179]

Hi

Oh, that´s really a pitty. I was thinking about getting one of the white ones myself to fit next to my OT helmet.
Go and contact Amy, I think she can and will help You, but You are right You shouldn´t have to do that with a 399 bucks item.

I´d like to know if this problem appears on any of the other white helmets as well?

Thanks a lot

Domenik

JUST recieved my plain jane clonetrooper (#29), and I've got the same problem as TK765, just not nearly as pronounced as it looks on his helmet (I think I can live with it), but the paint job leaves much to be desired. Also, the grey areas on the right and left part of the dome have very uneven paint... krinkled. Mirroring others' sentiments, for 350, this thing should be near perfect... Here are some pics... I think it's also important to mention that in sunlight, the yellow-y blotches are NOT noticeable to me OR my camera... took pics outside to illustrate this.

Krinkly paint (as if it dried at the wrong temp or something... this one REALLY bugs me)
Clone_Trooper_Uneven_Paint.jpg

Yellowing in paint
CloneTrooper_Yellowing_1.jpg

Closeup of Yellowing
CloneTrooper_Yellowing_Closeup.jpg

Outside it looks pretty good, however.
CloneTrooper_Sunlit.jpg

Thanks to Wackychimp for hosting... Anybody that's recieved their helmet, I'd love to hear if this really is recurring, or just two isolated instances. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Roger

By the way... Aside from a Fett bucket and an AA Scout Trooper, I've never seen an accurate bucket in person, so I had no frame of reference when I opened up the CloneTrooper... This thing is HUGE. I must be a pinhead... :(

I serioulsy can't believe they let those out of the factory like that into collectors hands.. Man, that really sucks. I hope your replacement is up to par.

Hehehehe... thanks, Clutch. :) Just trying to get a point across... Seriously, though, the more I look at the helmet in flourescent indoor lighting, the more yellow I find. Doesn't really bother as much as that krinkled grey, though... Has anyone with the plain-jane helmet tried contacting Amy yet? And does anybody's Star Corps or Shock Trooper have krinkly paint on the grey sections of the dome like mine?

Cheers,
Roger

I see this differnt color problem as a start to the much needed weathering process. :lol
They don't look right clean. You weather it, then you won't see the color difference. :D
Lynn

Great something to look forward too:( I must say that I have become very disappointed in MR. The customer service is non existent. I received an email informing me that my helmet would ship the week of the 9th and it still hasn't shipped. The only response you get from MR is their automated email response, oh well. Maybe we expect too much for our money.

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@Jan 24 2006, 04:37 PM
I see this differnt color problem as a start to the much needed weathering process. :lol
They don't look right clean. You weather it, then you won't see the color difference. :D
Lynn
[snapback]1167048[/snapback]​

These helmets desperately DO need to be weathered. However, the point is it is sold as a collectors piece and not a cheap, hard latex mask. As such it should be pristine if it was advertised that way and any variation of pristine is unacceptible IMO. For those who are going to weather the helmet it will look great. But those not wanting the weathered look should not have had to pay full price for an inadaquate helmet.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back