MR Clone Trooper Helmet Yellowed Spots

shenphong

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So in a odd twist (if you look up my past post about clone trooper helmet I once owned, you'll know what I mean) I ended up purchasing a MR Clone Trooper helmet to replace the one I had sold before. I'm adding a select few pieces back into my collection after regretting selling them and thought this would go perfect next to the upcoming Hero eFX stormie helmet.

I purchased the helmet from a fellow prop collector from another board and was excited to get it, however once receiving it, the excitement diminished. The helmet appears to have significantly large yellowed areas on the helmet where the finish of the paint actually slightly changes. I am not sure if this was from the factory or what, but just wanted to check what you guys thought? I do wear glasses so I'm hoping I am not going blind in the areas that are yellowed. Aside from that the helmet is undamaged but the yellowed areas really ruin the look, even in my kitchen where half the lights are burnt out.

IMG_4016-1.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

The areas I circled in red are the main yellowed spots and after owning one of these helmets in the past, I can certainly tell the difference in one solid color to actual spotty discoloration. Let me know if you guys think I'm going crazy or something, I don't want to make something out of nothing, but I feel like I paid for something and got something I did not expect.

I can't see it, but then again my eyes are 47 years old... I'd try reposting with pics taken in natural light, to me the helmet finish is washed out by the flash...

You not crazy or going blind, I see them too. Heck, I even think I know what they are, and here's my ten cent guess:

Whomever had it before you had it displayed with lights on it, maybe a shadow box or possibly in a glass cabinate. All light creates energetic particles or energetic waves (yes, even low wattage lights) called non-ionizing radiation. Over time, this can cause changes in materials it is directed at, like coloration.
In simple terms...it got cooked.

Thanks Jonny B, I have shown the helmet to several people and they have all noted the yellow spots immediately. The worst part is having someone claim that you are "making it all up." I guess it depends on your resolution of your monitor too. I've looked at my pics on 5 different monitors. The higher resolution/definition the monitor makes it so that you can see much more clearly. The older/lower resolution of your monitor actually washes it out. On my monitors at home its night and day between the yellow and the white. At work (state purchased computers) it appears washed out.

But trust me, in person, even in low light conditions it becomes VERY noticeable. I actually don't even know if its light anymore, we looked at it in a light box and you can see that it looks like a top layer sprayed separately over the helmet, almost like someone was trying to cover damage or marks.

Different brands of white paint yellow at different rates. I remember I touched up some marks on the inside of my front door with gloss white. Looked brand new for about a year, then areas I had touched up started to yellow much faster than the rest of the door and became increasingly noticeable.

Thanks Jonny B, I have shown the helmet to several people and they have all noted the yellow spots immediately. The worst part is having someone claim that you are "making it all up." I guess it depends on your resolution of your monitor too. I've looked at my pics on 5 different monitors. The higher resolution/definition the monitor makes it so that you can see much more clearly. The older/lower resolution of your monitor actually washes it out. On my monitors at home its night and day between the yellow and the white. At work (state purchased computers) it appears washed out.

But trust me, in person, even in low light conditions it becomes VERY noticeable. I actually don't even know if its light anymore, we looked at it in a light box and you can see that it looks like a top layer sprayed separately over the helmet, almost like someone was trying to cover damage or marks.

Whats odd though is the gradient of the paint. The white all around the helmet actually feels slightly rough and you can see the bumps, etc in the paint. But, in the yellowed areas, there is a clear outline of where it changes and the areas are very smooth, it reminded me of overspray, not sure where it could have occurred though.

That's exactly what it would be then. The spot that was sprayed laid down nice and flat and nobody bothered to compound out the overspray so it is a rough texture. Easiest thing to do is wet sand it smooth and repaint the white. I know not what you want to do on something that was supposed to be mint but it's really the only option to get it to look right

Whats odd though is the gradient of the paint. The white all around the helmet actually feels slightly rough and you can see the bumps, etc in the paint. But, in the yellowed areas, there is a clear outline of where it changes and the areas are very smooth, it reminded me of overspray, not sure where it could have occurred though.

Ya, I've actually been suggested to do that by several people after seeing it in person. Feels kinda raw to have to sand down and repaint this helmet though. Sometimes pictures are not worth a thousand words...I really wish this would have been pointed out before. Thanks for the recommendation though Finhead.

I know the initial mr helmets had paint problems like this, you cold always weather it to disguise it, i know thats not the point as you paid for a mint one, but is an option...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back