MR AT-AT Sig Ed pics and comparison to V1

Those are great shots. Photographed in loving detail. I especially like the pics of the two different editions side by side.

Loading the page reminded me of how good it is NOT to be on a dial-up connection. :)

Thanks for posting the link.

I love the extra weathering on the new one... but I can't get past the snow effects. It looks like somebody's attacked it with tippex (office corrector). If they either took the snow effects off... or did it in a way that snow would actually build up... then it'd be that version, hands down (ok maybe the leg pose of the first one..lol) .... and the mirror floor..... lol

Those look great next to each other and photographed from the low angle really makes them look cinematic. :thumbsup

Bruce

I have to say I like the new one a shade better. The weathering and slightly darker tone looks more as I remember, and the snow effect looks good to me. But heck both are amazing no matter what the minor differences.

<div class='quotetop'>(hunky_artist @ Jun 21 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]1265382[/snapback]</div>
I love the extra weathering on the new one... but I can't get past the snow effects. It looks like somebody's attacked it with tippex (office corrector).
[/b]

The snow effects actually look better on the MR AT-AT then they did on the real prop.

The real props snow was really bad.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(Lord Abaddon @ Jun 21 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]1265437[/snapback]</div>
I have to say I like the new one a shade better. The weathering and slightly darker tone looks more as I remember, and the snow effect looks good to me. But heck both are amazing no matter what the minor differences.
[/b]

Agreed brother..
But I love my MR V1 and it is my favorite piece in my collection.

Lynn

The snow that the factory used was good, but not what we hoped they coudl replicate. They got dang close. On the paint masters, I used this amazing stuff no longer made, by Hudson and Allen studios. It's a fine mix that has a little subtle irridescent grain or two mixed in, which added to the scale effect tremendously. I also liked how you could mix it into a slurry, and depending on the amount of water added, you could make anything from slush to a light fluff effect.

Here's a few pics of the first two paint masters from the first release. It was supposed to have a snow base and was supposed to have snow. Ah well. It shows that great stuff I'm talking about - I have better shots on a different harddrive - I'll post those tomorrow.

IMGP2725.jpg

IMGP2729.jpg

IMGP2732.jpg

IMGP2733.jpg

I also have some snow that is close to the H&A stuff - I'll post the ordering info when I dig it up.

Hope this helps, Jason

Here's a few more pics:

V2 master (on a v1 body)
0005.jpg

Snow detail
0012.jpg

I don't have a V2 - can't remember if the blast mark was kept or not.
0015.jpg

This is a foot detail from the V1, which matched the amount of snow on the feet as seen from screencaps.
1074.jpg

This shows how much darker we went with the V2 dirt. We also added some rust to keep it interesting.
v2.jpg

Jason, I reallt dig the work you did on that V2/V1 combo. However, I still say that the feets should have more snow on them. Remember guys that most of the snow got rubbed of with time so the models in the archives doesn't match the ones on screen.

Personally I think pre-made "model snow" looks a bit off on a studio model. The snow used on the real ones were most likely just white glue and baking soda. Here's some pics of the AT-AT I repainted for Cking. Since we wanted a "true" studio look I just used white acrylic paint mixed with baking soda. Looks fairly close to the originals IMO.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/cking-finished-at-at-3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/cking-finished-at-at-10.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/cking-finished-at-at-9.jpg[/image]

Cheers,

Steve.

Looks gorgeous as always, Steve. You do know that baking soda yellows with age, right? Hopefully the acrylic will offset that.

Yes, I know what they looked like at the time of filming - but you gotta do what the big kahuna says, and you have to match what is seen in the archives currently.

When it comes to prop replication en masse, ya win some, ya lose some :)

When I redo mine, it'll be nothing like the actual props - but more like what I saw on screen :)

But man, if I had two - I'd ship it to you to do what you did for Chris - wow. It's the best.

see they look much more like real snow.. and in scale too. I guess it's just the speed of production where it's 'blobbed' on thicker than it should have been on the MR.

Those ones above look fantastic.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back