MPC X-Wing in ROTJ

Junk Pilot

Sr Member
I've just watched a snippet of ROTJ and saw a couple of things that has given rise to some questions and maybe someone can confirm them for me.

I wanted to see if I could find the AMT/MPC X-Wing model in the film so I watched the scene where the Rebels are preparing to jump into hyperspace as this is generally considered where they would be. However, when I watched the scene where they're coming out of lightspeed at the Death Star I'm almost positive that ALL the X-Wings seen are MPC X-Wings. Not only that, they all have Blue Squadron markings.

Blue Squadron? Is this right? Or is this just a question of lighting and exposure?

Can anyone confirm this because the photos I have of the model that ILM used does have blue markings.

Last edited:
Hmm, that is interesting. I may have to see if I can get a screen grab. What version of the movie were you watching? It it was the blu-ray version, everything looks lightly blue.

That would be the first time I've heard of blue used other than the first film where the color didn't work.
I want to believe this!

I checked the scene between 2 different files dated 2008 and 2012 and they are the same. I know for the first movie that's the reason why the colours were changed from blue to red because of the issues they had with the original colour and I don't doubt your immeasurable knowledge Julien so it would have to be a fault with the colour timing.

However, I always thought these ships were background models and couldn't be seen.

It is interesting now because anyone wanting to model an MPC X-Wing now has 2 options. Match the way ILM built it and how it is seen on the screen.

Some caps from the Bluray. The first few showing the fleet entering and emerging from hyperspace are definitely MPCs, from the rear end and fuselage shapes. The last is the one Treadwell mentioned. I don't think it's an MPC, or if it is the nose is not original, it looks very pointy.

Attachments

• Star.Wars.Episode.6.Return.of.the.Jedi.1983.BluRay.1080p.DTSES6.1.2Audio.x264-CHD.mkv_snapshot_0.jpg
    Star.Wars.Episode.6.Return.of.the.Jedi.1983.BluRay.1080p.DTSES6.1.2Audio.x264-CHD.mkv_snapshot_0.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Star.Wars.Episode.6.Return.of.the.Jedi.1983.BluRay.1080p.DTSES6.1.2Audio.x264-CHD.mkv_snapshot_0.jpg
    Star.Wars.Episode.6.Return.of.the.Jedi.1983.BluRay.1080p.DTSES6.1.2Audio.x264-CHD.mkv_snapshot_0.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 244
    734.3 KB · Views: 212
    746.4 KB · Views: 212
    740.2 KB · Views: 208
    738.9 KB · Views: 229
    52 KB · Views: 269
If you're going to start trying to dissect some imagery, don't freak when you see that there are no wing stripes on at least one. And, I think I mis-spoke. I'll try to look through pics, but I believe there are six remaining, along with three Falcons.

The Falcon in the first image is actually just a photo of the prop mounted on a piece of board that was cut out. It's a straight from behind shot the entire time. The Falcon prop for that shot was for sale not long ago, I wanted to buy it so bad but it was pretty expensive.

If you all don't mind, I'm still trying to figure out what bird Wedge was piloting during Endor...any help?

Bad lighting or not, pics 5 and 6 sure look like blue stripes to me. And why the heck did my MPC X-Wing I built when I was 10 not look as good as these?!?!?!? :D

That's really bad lighting if that's supposed to be red!

2av96vU.jpg

Yea, there are all kinds of way for colors to shift in photography. That model was definitely painted with a red stripe. Blue could look cool, though. If you want to paint your model with a blue stripe, go for it!

--Alex

Yeah, I have no doubt they were red, it's just, man, that looks blue!

Build one with a blue stripe?
Already did! :cool

Attachments

• xwing2.jpg
    xwing2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 416
But is it okay to now say blue is screen accurate?

Yea, there are all kinds of way for colors to shift in photography. That model was definitely painted with a red stripe. Blue could look cool, though. If you want to paint your model with a blue stripe, go for it!

--Alex

I dunno, man. Still looks like a real low saturation dark red to me. But I can see how someone could see it as blue.

If you're asking about screen-accuracy... that's a personal philosophy if you ask me. Is the TOS Enterprise the greenish-gray of the shooting model or the blue-gray it seems on screen? Is Deep Space Nine sandy yellow like the studio model or a warm steel like it looks on screen? It's really up to you.

I like the blue stripe! I'm just not quite seeing it on the screen-shot.

--Alex

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back