MPC X-wing Build in Progress

Thanks guys. It was a fun project. JMChaldek I know what you mean, the pics make it look cleaner than it is in person. They had the same issues with the filming props so they would over weather them to get the weathering to show on film. I did't want to over weather since it's something that it going to be on my desk so I went for a more idealized weathering level, instead of the 1:1 level of weathering on the prop.

Anyway, here is the list and final wrap up. I put asterisks next to stuff I used the most or favored because I liked the results I got with them.

Thinners
*Mr. Color Leveling Thinner (my favorite by far)
Tamiya X-20A (mostly used for cleaning)
Weber Odorless turpenoid (for oils)

Primers
*Mr Surfacer 1000
Mr Surfacer 500

Paints
Tamiya
*Smoke
Flat Black
Flat white
*Dark Grey
Cockp. Green
Light Blue
Brown/JGSDF
Yellow Green
Flat Red

Testors
Flat Aluminum
Model Master flat black
*Model Master Camouflage gray
Model Master Dark Blue

Vallejo
Model air Golden Brown

Oil paints
*Gamblin Titanium Buff
Gamblin Venetian Red
Winton Cerulean Blue
Winton Raw Sienna
*Williamsburg Graphite Grey
Winsor & Newton Cadmium Orange

Pigments
Tamiya Weathering Master: Orange Rust, Gun Metal, Silver

Pens
Micron .005 black
Micron .005 blue
Micron .01 red

Fillers/putty
Squadron White putty (didn't like at all, too thick and grainy)
Tamiya White putty (smoother, but thinner/softer)
Aves Apoxie Scupt (friggin amazing)

Yup, I hate over-weathering myself as I also try to achieve the right "in person" look. So kudos to you for getting it to look right. I especially love the black chipping marks on the upper left wing. They have that classic ILM studio model "look". This is a model to be proud of.

Wow, look at the ILM X- wing but plate. Totally black. Just goes to show you how dark they painted it so that the colors/detail would show up under the intense lighting of the filming set. I think your paint job is gorgeous and represents what we as movie goers actually see and visually assimilate when we see an X-wing on the screen. Fantastic work!!!

sorry for the bold print. Just wanted to emphasis certain words.....
too much?

Top marks my man. Looks great my man. Thought I'd share my MPC X-wing build. I fixed the droid strip, the cockpit, and added bits to the body. Airbrushed as accurate as possible, and there you go. 20170217_093103~2.jpg20170217_093129~2.jpg20170217_093214~2.jpg20170217_093003~2.jpg

Looks good man, you've got airbrush skills. I would recommend taking it one step further, and get some oil paints and odorless turpentine to do some streaking and light washes. Wonderful work.

Top marks my man. Looks great my man. Thought I'd share my MPC X-wing build. I fixed the droid strip, the cockpit, and added bits to the body. Airbrushed as accurate as possible, and there you go.
View attachment 742106View attachment 742118View attachment 742122View attachment 742126

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back