MPC X-wing Build in Progress

I know that Floquil paints were used a lot on the props, such as boxcar red, but I've found that Floquil is no more, Testors bought them out. If anyone has a list of paints that match well I would really appreciate it if they could share it with me.

Vallejo paints have railroad colors so should be a good match Vallejo Paints
MicroLux Paints

There was just a paint type guide in the most recent model railroader magazine, and yes, those Microlux paints from Vallejo are supposed to be color matched to the old Floquil colors. They supposedly are exclusive to MicroMark so thats the only place to get them from.

There was just a paint type guide in the most recent model railroader magazine, and yes, those Microlux paints from Vallejo are supposed to be color matched to the old Floquil colors. They supposedly are exclusive to MicroMark so thats the only place to get them from.

Awesome, thanks for mentioning that. Behold the power of google: Paint comparison

Small progress report. I've done a little more work to the cockpit, I've built a seat back, behind the seat side walls and started on some of stuff behind the seat. Most of this is not glued in place yet.

cockpit-1.JPGcockpit-2.JPGcockpit-3.JPGcockpit-4.JPG

And just for fun I rubber-banded the body and wings together.

preview-1.JPGpreview-2.JPGpreview-3.JPGpreview-4.JPGpreview-5.JPG

Sorry about the delay on updates, life has been interrupting my ability to work on this. I have made a tiny bit more progress on the cockpit and I'll post those pics soon.

I did get my entire airbrush set up in and I've got all the leaks sealed so it's ready to go as soon as I get back to work on the model.

Ok, here are the pics of building up the side walls of the cockpit. I've also done some work on the tubes coming from behind the seat but I have to rework them because the sidewalls are taking up some of the area where I had them draping over the back. So no tubes yet. I still have to build out the front of the sidewalls before I can really get into the details.

photo 4.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3.JPG

It's been a while since my last update. I haven't made a ton of progress, it's been a busy couple months.

Here are some images of the deck behind the seat. I've added some more details, more are coming. I've got a couple more hoses to add that I've already made that are not in these pics. I've also glued on the gun housings to the wings but no pics of those yet.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

It's been a while since I've made a post or made any progress for that matter. I discovered that I had glued on the gun housings and the engine nozzles incorrectly and had to break them off, refinish the damaged parts and reattach them, which I have done. PROGRESS!!! Well sort of. I did primer the wings and just last night I finally glued in the brass guns, no turning back now. I need to get this project off my desk so there should be more updates more often.

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Heh, so I ruined my pilot figure trying to soften the plastic so I could bend him a little bit, he wasn't fitting in the cockpit. I kind of caught his head on fire, oops. Anyone have a resource for replacement figures that will fit in this model? It's not a big loss, I didn't really like the look of the pilot anyway.

The 1/48 Monogram F-80 kit has a perfect pilot for the X-Wing, the air mask is dangling on his chest so it's an easy mod. I used this back in the day with the mask trimmed off the chest, added the chest box and helmet fin with styrene strips.

Nice build! I'm currently building an MPC X-Wing myself, although I'm not modding it to the extent that you are. Looking at your pics makes me want to, though. I'm ditching the decals and making it Blue 5 as well.

SB

You could have placed him in hot water to soften him.

Hot water! I feel like an idiot.

Well I started working on building in the mounting structure on the inside so I could put it on a base because I don't care for the mount it comes with. It went well and left the model on the pole and clamped into the vice. The vice is one of those kind with a suction cup on the bottom and of course it failed while I was out of the room. And of course I had set the wings on the bottom of the fuselage, so when the suction cup gave, the model and vise went tumbling to the floor. It's pretty disheartening, It broke 3 of the guns off, 2 of the guns will need the half circle piece on the end removed, re-fabricated and reattached, and all 4 engine nozzles are broken off, and my mount was busted. It could have been much worse, but still it's irritating. I've already started work on fixing the mount. Here are some pics of the mount before it broke. I'll post some pics of the damage later, maybe...

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Here are some pics of the damage, not all of the damage just some of it.

photo 3.JPG

I've already stripped the broken parts and fabricated new ones.

photo 6.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

I've re-attached one of the guns (one didn't break off).

photo 8.JPG

I've also fixed the internal mount structure.

photo 7.JPG

Once I get the rest of the guns attached I'll re-glue the engine nozzles.Then I should be back to where I was before this accident happened. For now I just wait for things to dry.

Nice build! I'm currently building an MPC X-Wing myself, although I'm not modding it to the extent that you are. Looking at your pics makes me want to, though. I'm ditching the decals and making it Blue 5 as well.

SB

Thanks. I'll have to check out your build. Modding isn't that hard, finding good reference pictures that show the areas I need took forever. Some pics I didn't find until after I had already gone in the wrong direction.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back