MPC Star Wars X-wing rescue project

Jaitea

Master Member
Hi folks

I’ve had this kit built for over 30 years, but for the past 20 years it has been sitting in a plastic container with bits broken off it, waiting for me to open the box & repair it

The box had been opened many times, most recently for an Archive-X competition to paint it up as a studio scale replica of a MPC kit used in Empire Strikes Back, I cleaned it up, sprayed it with primer, & added the red stripes etc,... but I missed the deadline for the competition & it went back in the container again

I brought it out recently & decided to paint it up as Red 4, so I cleaned it up again & resprayed it, I also carved out the windows leaving just the frames,...this is how it looks at the minute

BBD2371B-31AD-4F6C-8F11-FD1BFB09A015.jpeg
500229AD-EE53-4501-827A-2A307DDD78A4.jpeg
35C9D548-54F7-47D6-9CBE-B7CC18D4220F.jpeg
016F7BA5-BC81-4022-A0C5-192DC5CE8957.jpeg
0886D90C-97E6-45FE-A463-00E56AE9A09F.jpeg
18BF78ED-E68D-4B1C-BBCA-695F85A3F0B5.jpeg
54AF04F8-751E-4F74-9C0F-177D00F2E327.jpeg
C7936F12-6045-46FB-AD00-738920E67389.jpeg

Thank you for looking

more soon

John

Looks great! A friend of mine gave me some of his old MPC Star Wars models, some of which are partially built or fully built with broken or missing pieces. I want to restore and fix his X-Wing as a gift for his upcoming birthday. I will be following this. Please share any tips you can. Beautiful work, as always!

What did you use to carve out the canopy?

I recently restored an old MPC Falcon. It's fun to revisit the past. Kinda like time-traveling....
I love the old kits, with a bit of love they can turn out pretty good

Looking nice and grubby! Will be good to see your progress.
Cheers,
Josh
Thanks Josh, It is a fun side project
Looks great! A friend of mine gave me some of his old MPC Star Wars models, some of which are partially built or fully built with broken or missing pieces. I want to restore and fix his X-Wing as a gift for his upcoming birthday. I will be following this. Please share any tips you can. Beautiful work, as always!

What did you use to carve out the canopy?
Thank you Padawan311, you should definitely do it
I scored around the frame with a scalpel blade then I drilled a few holes in the middle of the window areas & carved bits away with a scalpel blade, when it came close to the frames I just bent the plastic at the score lines

John

I want to watch this transformation. Have a 43 year old build of this kit sitting on my shelf in need of parts reattachment.

Its definitely got its flaws but its really not a bad kit... especially for when it was released :D. And Yes I agree, most of those old battered MPC kits look pretty damn good when the care is taken to assemble and paint them properly.

Jedi Dade

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back