MPC Star Destroyer-make over

MrV

Sr Member
This is going to annoy some of the 100% accurate model makers out there, but hear me out!
Film making is all about the illusion. The 8ft model made with Airfix, Tamiya and other kits was never meant to be so scrutinized that model makers would try to track down all kits involved in creating this awesome illusion of a land far far away.

So i am going to make an illusion. Transform a $20 kit i bought at a convention and transform it into something that friends will look at and and say "whoa! Star destroyer-cool". No after market parts or conversion kits. I am only going to use what i have and try to complete something that i can just look at and say, "Nice one"

I am aware of the last soldier that took on this task only to have his project eaten by the family dog. This one is for me, its for him, its for the dog. For everybody that ever owned this kit and grew up in the 70's- This was all we could get our hands on.

If you want 100% accurate click to another thread now.

40545961643_f1bbd38962_k.jpg

So, time to start pulling this thing apart. One of the several flaws with this kit is the lack of detail. So that is the first job. Detailing.

I have got a couple of super small battle ships that i will cast and use along the sides for additional detail.

47446461131_3cea2ba34c_k.jpg

40545961573_1b3bc457e1_z.jpg

This is exactly what I needed. Can't say how many times I 'd peruse this old thing, daydream and give up, putting it back in the box. I 'm gonna watch with extreme interest.;)

Lets add some detail. This took, um ..quite a while. At the dinning table, TV on and magnifying head set on..It was actually quite relaxing. When i had enough i just came back a while later.

My idea of casting the battle ships and gluing them onto the sides was a total fail. All detail was lost so had to look at other options. Mainly individual sections of plastic.

I have added a lot more detail to the sides. Some old 1:72 scale military kits used but mostly just strip and tube plastic from the hobby store.

46723412574_3a25f7926e_k.jpg

46723412544_7c36688be3_k.jpg

You are off to a really good start! :)

When I read the title I thought, wow, that's a bold one - a must-see! :)

I'm looking forward to your progress. :)

I can see i am going to have troubles with light leakage through the joins. Probably have to use thin strips along these joins.

The deflector shields are making me nervous but again-decided to keep it simple and use what i have available. I used my hand drill to place holes for my deflector shield struts.

47473996722_604363de8b_k.jpg

This is going to look great!...from 2 metres away:)

32562408847_bad9f4793a_k.jpg

A before shot of the original kit....

47459179252_00b140c33f_k.jpg

I'll take nicely detailed over 100% accurate any day!

Having gone down this road, it is a massive undertaking just getting scale appropriate detailing and looks like your off to a great start
I agree, especially at this scale. You could spend years trying to make all of the added detail as accurate as possible, and take all of the fun out of building the kit.

Nice that the kit leaves room to build up the greebly cluster at the nose without having to cut anything away.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back