MPC Space 1999 Eagle Transporter

Analyzer

Master Member
I always loved the design of the Eagle Transporter.

This kit is listed as 1/72, but it is closer to 1/100 or so. There is also a lot of shape issues with the kit as well as not having an open cage which really helps sell the look of the kit. I have seen lots of amazing builds that leave little if anything of the original kit left when done.

Since I have the 1/48 version, I am not going to go all out fixing everything, but I do want something that looks a little better than the out of the box kit. Hopefully at some point they will do a proper 1/72 version that is as good as the 1/48 one, but until then...

First, fixing the angles of the spine. The out of the box version just looks noticeably wrong in it's shape/ So cut off all the cross supports, shorten them a tiny bit and glue back together at a new angle. Also the out of the box spine is missing all of the bottom cross bars. The sprues from a Bandai Garmillas warships kit were the prefect diameter to for it I used them for the bottom bars
IMG_5836.JPG IMG_5845.JPG

Then opening up the cage parts. Unfortunately the bars are only hollow half rounds. This means you either have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch or settle for cutting out the openings and not worry about the rest. I chose to just cut them out as I the other way is may more time than I want to invest in it

IMG_5843.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG

Next is to open up the landing gear support boxes
IMG_5847.JPG
And open up this part as well
IMG_5693.JPG IMG_5850.JPG

This also means there are non of the internal parts, so scratch building them it was...

I used some landing gear parts form a 1/72 Cosmo Falcon along with brass tubing to simulate these parts
IMG_7380.JPG IMG_7392 (2).JPG

I made a mold of the vents on an N scale F-Unit train engine and used various styrene bits
IMG_7358.JPG IMG_7364.JPG IMG_7368.JPG
IMG_7355.JPG
It's a little rough, but it is going to be hard to see behind the cage anyway so I'll settle for it

And all together

IMG_7393 (2).JPG IMG_5839.JPG

with some primer to even things out

IMG_9238.JPG IMG_9240.JPG

Next up, I have to do it all over again for the interior parts for the front cage

Attachments

• IMG_5579.JPG
    IMG_5579.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 394
  • IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    802.6 KB · Views: 414
Cutting the cages is a huge work!!!

I have the Airfix Eagle, that's 1/72, that I owns since I was 14 years old...

50751072_2276273545935216_6775852831233540096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fmad3-8.jpg

And I have purchased too the big MPC from Round 2, and I have designed my own tiny 3D printed 1/144 Eagle Transporter...
And more...

Good job!!!

Just some shots of my 1/144 Eagle built by my friend at Instagram Isao_mz...

Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• 308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 18.jpg
    308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 18.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 386
  • 308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 17.jpg
    308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 17.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 16.jpg
    308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 16.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 410
  • 308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 15.jpg
    308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 15.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 14.jpg
    308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 14.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 353
  • 308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 13.jpg
    308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 13.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 372
  • 308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 12.jpg
    308 BITS EAGLE TRANSPORTER ISAO_MZ 12.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 461
It's been a while and my desire to finish this was reduced to almost nothing after the announcement of the new tooled 14" 1/72 Eagle kit. Since this thread started, they announced and released one, and I recently picked up that kit. However, I decided to keep myself from building that kit until I finish this one. So... after a few nights of hobby time this week, this is where I am at

I finished the interior box structure for the front part, added all kinds of piping and internal cage rod supports to the extremely sparse engine area. Seriously, they could have have done any less in that area.

The diameter of the pipes for the engine area are a little on the thin side, but I ran out of thicker styrene rods when doing the cage bars in that area and just wanted to get this done. I also made a measuring mistake and was just a little short on four of the main supports. And I ran out of styrene, so I could not cut anymore. I used some orange sprue to plug the gaps at the top :lol: in case anyone wonders what those orange "stains" are

IMG_3558 (2).JPG

IMG_3556 (2).JPG
IMG_3554 (2).JPG

IMG_3562 (2).JPG

IMG_3560 (2).JPG

IMG_3564 (2).JPG

And almost there. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Attachments

• IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 145
I laid down some paint on the inside parts before buttoning everything up since those parts will be hard to get good coverage on later

Only thing left needing some work before final painting are the two front landing gear, the inside of the engine bells and the two side thrusters on the cockpit

IMG_3621 (2).JPG

IMG_3620 (2).JPG

IMG_3616 (2).JPG

IMG_3623 (2).JPG

Very close now. Got some paint on and a few decals. Enough to get me interested in finishing it I am going to be painting the pod as the medical pod with the red stripes

This shelf queen has been taunting me for years and after picking up the newly tooled proper 1/72 Eagle I really lost the desire to finish this

As suspected, you do not see much of the detail inside the cages at all but in the end it is still way better having them opened up then being closed and painting them black

Looking at these close ups, I need to fix up a few areas as well as sand a few

I also seem to have lost one of the engine bells and I still have to put the small 4 way thrusters on the landing gear pods

IMG_4588 (2).JPG
IMG_4578 (2).JPG

IMG_4583 (2).JPG

IMG_4586 (2).JPG
IMG_4585 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I have to ask, what did you use for the spherical tank on the side sections and what diameter is it? It almost looks like a necklace bead.

I have to ask, what did you use for the spherical tank on the side sections and what diameter is it? It almost looks like a necklace bead.

I made a mold from a half round bead that I had from my jewelry making days

I used that reusable mold stuff (Oyumaru) and then just shoved some green stuff in it

I have not "melted" the mold yet if you are interested in it. I'd be happy to pass it along or the bead. PM me if for more info if so

Got the stripes on the pod and a few key decals

These decals are terrible to work with. They do not seem to stick well even with Micro Sol and Micro Set

The decals in the new Round 2/MPC 1/72 Hawk were so much better

Not too bad the the old MPC kit

IMG_4617 (2).JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back