MPC ETRL Millenium falcon detail kit ... interest thread

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DangeRuss66

So... how much more interest do you need to go forward with this project?

Also, I'm probably going to do a diarama with my Falcon and was wondering if a detailed landing ramp might be feasable?

Keep us posted

Thanks,
Russell

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
I think that there has ben enough interest to take this further. I still am not sure exactly when I'll be able to do it. For being unemployed I seem to have a cr@pload of stuff to do all the time
. I'm thinking that I should have a set of sometyhing to show sometime early next year. I'll post pics and stuff as things become more "real". Landing ramp... I never really considered that a major flaw of the MPC kit. I'm not planning on it.

Dean O

I'd be very interested. I've had a MPC Falcon sitting sealed waiting for something like this to come along that I can afford to get.

Tony

I would be interested too.... but why not add the New Hope Falcon as well?
I prefer the New Hope version.

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
The reason is that it is a lot of scratch building to do these and that I had to pick one. The falcon kits detail package was a lot closer to the ANH falcon so I choose to do the ESB - plus I have more of the donor kits from the 32 ESB falcon, so I can look at what the part is supposed to look like and build something that looks similar only 1/4 the size
to use for the detail on this kit. I know that it will never be "perfect" but I want to be "happy" with it. Really I'm doing this for myself - and since I am,I might as well offer it up to others right - and I want the ESB falcon

Many of the parts from this kit could be used in an ANH version, the cockpit & tube, & docking rings spring to mind first, but the majority of the scratch building will be on the engine wedge and side pannels, and they'd need to be completely redone to work out as "similar" to the studio model. The ESB and ANH/ROTJ models differ drastically in the detailing of those areas.

Jedi Dade

YOU NEED TO MAKE A REPLACEMENT RADAR DISH!!!!! Please...the Ertl radar dish on the Falcon is too big. If you take a look at Chronicles and then look at the built up Ertl kit on SM or anywhere you will see the difference. Make a dish too!

I have Falcon kits and the Millenium Models photo-etch detailing parts for the Falcon. I am also awaiting Dragon models to release their 1:144 Panther G tank within in the next month. As you guys know, the Panther G back end was used on a lot of the ILM studio kits, and they used the Panther G on the 3 sections behind the rear 3 circle vents on the engine wedge. Well, I measured the Dragon 1:144 Jagdpanther body to the Ertl Falcon and guess what? PERFECT SCALE MATCH! As soon as they release the Panther G I am getting 3 of them for the engine wedge to match the ILM Falcon. It might be a good idea to get one and recast it for the upgrade kit.

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
I picked up a dragon panther already - molded it and cast the appropriate parts. The results were...ok. I'm not sure if the scale of the dragon is truly 1/144 because it came out a bit too small. Its better then the complete lack of detail that was there - but it looks a little funky if you simply remove the detail thats there and replace it with the cast up rear of the panther. When I started thinking about doing this I cut the entire engine wedge off of my ERTL falcon and cast it. then I removed almost all of the detail and starting adding parts from the same "topic" that was used on the falcon in 1/2 the scale. It works mostly - but my experince with using the dragon model as a base for the panther - encouraging but not as good as I want it to be it seems a bit too small. It may only be 1/16 of an inch but when you put it on and stand away from it that 1/16 shows up on a near unconcious level as somethings wrong with it but I'm not sure what. Since I had just done that piece I knew what was wrong, but the effect was... it looks kinda right but somethings amiss. That's my opinion of it anyway. If you're happy with it by all means scratch build away

The MMI photo etch detail is really nice but it doesn't have enough "vents" on the "panther part" on the engine area the kit supplies 2 of the 4 vents for each of ther 3 panther parts so you get 6 when you actually need 12 - I bought a couple of kits so I was able to correct, but if you only have 1 you only have 1/2 of the vent PE that you need. The large vents (along with the resin parts) with the PE grills as well as all of the grills on the docking arms are awesome.

Radar dish...I think I'll try to finish off what I have planned to do before anything else. But thanks for the input!

Jedi Dade

The panther part looks a hair small but close enough for me, and as close as we'll ever get. I rather it be too small than too big. The radar dish is much more obvious to me; I might end up scratchbuilding it. I got a feeling by the time I get to all this stuff though Fine Molds might have a Falcon out.

Talisen

Sr Member
I'd be VERY interested in the back engine detail, as well as the rest.

I've about given up on FalconKits, even MMI have been taking their time getting back to me.

Do you have any time frame on this project?

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
I'm thinking that things may be close in the Febuarary time frame. sometimes things fly somtimes they crawl, that's why this is an interest thread instead of an order thread

Jedi Dade

Talisen

Sr Member
That's cool, gives me time to clear off other projects and models.

Hey, as for the detailing. Have you considered brass or aluminum rods for the various pipes (instead of trying to pull molds)? That's what I was going to use as part of the detailing (never considered the kitbashing route)

for the kit you could just either pack them in or suggest what to get, then indicate where one might need to drill the holes, bend a certain length of the rod and fit to the model.

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
I plan on putting as much onto the peices as makes sense - if addition rods as such are needed, or if due to he "layered nature" of the falcon detail individual parts need to be made and added to the main piece we'll see but I'm going to try to keep the kits as simple as possible in terms of how many parts there are. basically I'm going to try and build the kit I always wanted - a great looking falcon that you could conciveable build in a few days. I've always kinda beleived that if its a kit you shouldn't need to be a master modeler to use it - If I'm going through a lot of trouble I might as well scratch build the thing

I think that the modifications that you'll need to do to the MPC kit for this detail kit will be about as far as anyone should ever go to use a "kit". To do this you'll need to remove large secions of the original model with a razor saw, then attatch the kit peices. If you're like me that will mean a round or 2 of puttying and sanding to take care of the "opps's" then comes looking at it and seeing you're your satisfied with the amount of detailing etc (do I want to try and scratch that little extra peice to make it totally "mine"), priming painting, washes, painting, weathering, repainting, reweathering...until at last it looks 1/2 as good as it did in your head
Thats my modeling lifecycle.

Jedi Dade

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I would be interested too.

I have 3 MFalcon kits waiting for a more accurate side details and cockpit, and everyone who has offered these seem unavailable to get ahold of now.

Price and Pics, hold a few for me........

Falconkits is still shipping his stuff out; a modeler on the SM messageboard said he just got his. The maker, Jack Smith, is a teacher during his day job, so I think his production is slow due to his schedule but he is still doing it.

Akanah

I am up for a kit as well, depending on price. I am going to scrathbuild my own cockpit interior, but the rest I am in need of...

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
Jack Smith is a really good guy, and I've purchased his detail kit in the past - it is really good, especially the landing gear set - awesome. He does Falcon kits in his spare time I think, and gets quite backed up. He's backed up because his kit makes a really nice falcon, and is pretty reasonable. This thread is about something a bit different though. I'm trying to create (with help) a set of detail parts that will make the ERTL kit look like the ESB falcon. Falcon kits makes a really nice model but its not a particular Falcon....although I think it looks more like the ANH version then the ESB - which is part of the reason why I chose to try and make this kit of the ESB falcon. Please do not take anything I have said as trying to disuade you from getting a falcon kits product. Very few of us in this hobby are in it for the money - Most are lucky to not go broke trying to build studio scale stuff and the like
There's plenty of room for all of us in this hobby...well except for the recasters

Jedi Dade

Talisen

Sr Member
Well two things I'd like to add here. First, as much as I like what I see from FalconKits, I cannot get a hold of him. He has yet to reply to any emails I've sent (since August) and the same goes for quite a few modellers on various forums. A shame cause he could be losing quite a bit of business just by ignoring them.

Second, the thing that I'm personally interested in on this project is the rear panel detailling, it's the part I've always felt was the most lacking on the Falcon, long before I noticed the height difference. Now I never had put any real thought into which version of the Falcon I'd like to put together, more like a generic type really, but if this particular kit comes together, I'm sold!

DangeRuss66

Forgive my ignorance, but what in particiluar distinguishes an ESB Falcon from the other movies? I know the landing gear is different, but what else makes the ESB Falcon stand out?

ESB is my favorite movie, and I am planning on doing a diarama of the Cloud City landign platform including the landing lights and such. Maybe--- we'll see how detailed I decide to take it when the build actually begins.

Russell

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
it mainly in all the little details. The ESB falcon is scaled down from 5 feet to just over 2.5 feet. The proportions are all the same. To me the main differences are in the side panels and the detailing along the engine wedge, but if you compare the 2 closely pretty much everywhere you look the detailing is different - but looks close enough at a glance (or as its streaking by on screen) that you don't notice its a completely different model.

Jedi Dade