MPC ETRL Millenium falcon detail kit ... interest thread

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
I'm trying to gauge the interest for an upgrade kit for the MPC falcon. The kit would convert the MPC falcon to an ESB styled falcon. This is all still SUPER preliminary and if I do it it wouldn't be avaialble for many months still, but I am trying to see what the demand for such a thing would be before I put out a significant amount of cash to set this up correctly,

I'm thinking that the kit would include the following:
1)ESB side panels
2)ESB engine wedge replacement
3)replacement cockpit and cockpit tube
4)replacement docking rings (possibly with a studio style mounting point incorporated)
5)2 forward langings gear boxes
6 instructions on how and what to modify on the original kit to install everything properly.

I'm not planning on doing extra landing gear - if people want it maybe its something I can add later

What do you all think?

Jedi Dade

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sounds great...especially if the quality and price was competitive with Falcon Kits...and if your new sidewalls were more accurate than his, so much the better!

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
well I'm not sure on a price or anything yet, this is just to gauge interest at the moment. the plan would be to have something more accurate looking then the Falcon kits version but have it be ESB. It can not ever really be accurate since the falcon wasn't built in this scale, but at least it can "look" right. A kit like this wouldn't be cheap though. it would probably be at least as expensive as the Falcon kits kit though - that's really how much it costs to make this stuff...unless your ready to accept !!#&$!ty castings...I don't think so - not with this crowd. so there is a bunch if initial costs up front that need to be recovered, as well as the recurring costs... trust me I'm not going to get rich on something like this.

Jedi Dade

OPPI

interested for sure pending the final price and pics down the road of course

dan

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
understood re: accuracy in a different scale...as long as some effort is made to find parts that approximate the ESB side panel details, I'm happy.

Raygun

Heck, even if you could keep it near the Falcon kits cost-wise, and the same quality, I'd buy one. I've been trying to get a falcon kits "total upgrade" package for 2 years. I've been ready to give up and just make my own replacements at this point. I'd love to see someone do the drop down laser cannon, an accurate interior for the cockpit, some replacement window framse for the boffer lasers, and the landing claw.
Since it's such a big kit, I always wanted to have mine hanging vertical on a section of the star destroyer. Then I could have a small brass plaque engraved to go with it: "we'll just float away.....With the rest of the garbage". I figured hanging would be a good idea to save space.

Raygun

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
that's too funny. If this happens it will be a larger modification to the original mode then the falcon kits one was. Replaceing the entire cockpit tube, and cockpit and the entire engine wedge area with something better, all of that will require some serious modifications to the MPC kit. The MPC cockpit tube is the wrong diameter and "flattened" at the top instead of maintainig its roundness all the way down its length, and the engine wedge... a complete disappointment. If it goes as planned it will be a bigger kit then the Faclon kits one...I'm hoping I can keep the price reasonable and still have a decent kit. the only thing that the Falcon kits has that this one won't is landing gear upgrades - falcon kits PE landing gear stuff is top notch, and I don't do any PE... You could always mold and cast the original MPC gear if you wanted the extra 2 but I'm not planning on that.

What do you guys think about having a mounting point in the docking rings a la the studio model. It would definitly cost more to go that route, but could be pretty cool. just a thought.

Jedi Dade

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think if someone wanted to install a mounting point they could find a way to do it themselves...no need to over engineer the kit, IMO.

Raygun

I wouldn't do a mounting point. I think if you did, most people who had it mounted that way wouldn't have anywhere to display it, except high up on a wall. Either that or walk into it. Around our house, I'd come hone and find a $@%!&#& CAT sitting on top of it chewing on the guns.

How are you planning to do the engines??? I've never found anything useful for an engine reference. The best idea I had was light sheet behind a "grill" I have a photo etched grill that fits perfect. It's from some kind of printer cartidge. Don't ask me what kind of printer it ame from. I got it from a guy in our model club and he's not there anymore.

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
I was talking about the wedge at the back above the engines that has all of the detailing on it. Persoanlly I have a great mini florescent lighting systems that has 4 bulbs 2 white 2 blue that throws a ton of light - that's what is going to get installed on mine
I was thinking of offering that as well but that's not what I'm talking about at this time. right now its trying to make the model look correct - lighting it is a different problem...with many solutions. Lightsheet is great stuff but I don't find it bright enough for my liking. To each their own.

Jedi Dade

ViperRecon

I'm interested! You really should ask over at the Starship Modeler boards too, I bet you'd get a lot of interest there...

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea

Raygun

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Jedi Dade wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I was talking about the wedge at the back above the engines that has all of the detailing on it.
Jedi Dade
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Ahh...I thought you were refering to the actual engine along the back. Sorry. Still...I've never seen any photos, etc that should what it is supposed to look like when the engine is off. mini florecents would be cool too. I was just thinking of using the light sheet for the obvious reasons; one, it's cut to fit and flexible, and two, it's an even glow. I'm also not a big fan of working with electronics, since I usually end up melting something
Light sheet is plug and play, so even an electronicly challanged tard like myself can make it work without burning down the house.

If Fine Molds would make a 1/72nd scale Falcon, I'd gladly beat my MPC one to pieces with a hammer....I wish, I wish, I wish.

Raygun

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
Here's an awesome set of pictures that will ket you know what the studio model looked like - including the engine wedge

http://www.studioscale.com/Maths%20Potos.htm

as far as light sheet vs mini - florescents - I'm no electrical wiz-kid and I was able to get the flos to light up. all that is required is a tiny amount of soldering - even a klutz like me was able to pull it off. The circuit board even came with a wireing diagram so you know what wire to hook to part part of the board. peice of cake

Jedi Dade

neoprime

I'm interested in this. Concerning electronics, perhaps hyperdyne(sp?) would lend a hand for a kit. Just a thought.

aljf

I'm interested ,pending the final price and pics down the road of course

Regards,
aljf

DangeRuss66

I'm interested as well. Keep us posted on price. My kit's been sitting on a shelf for the last year and like the rest of my kits, is just waiting for me to find a good work place to put them together. Apartments suck.

Russell

nightrider

Sr Member
I'm very intersted Dade. I ended up haveing to do my sides from scratch after trying to get in touch with falcon kits for about six months. I was very pleased with how it turned out, but one can never have to much money or to many falcons.