MPC ETRL Millenium falcon detail kit ... interest thread

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Jedi Dade, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I'm trying to gauge the interest for an upgrade kit for the MPC falcon. The kit would convert the MPC falcon to an ESB styled falcon. This is all still SUPER preliminary and if I do it it wouldn't be avaialble for many months still, but I am trying to see what the demand for such a thing would be before I put out a significant amount of cash to set this up correctly,

I'm thinking that the kit would include the following:
    1)ESB side panels
    2)ESB engine wedge replacement
    3)replacement cockpit and cockpit tube
    4)replacement docking rings (possibly with a studio style mounting point incorporated)
    5)2 forward langings gear boxes
    6 instructions on how and what to modify on the original kit to install everything properly.

I'm not planning on doing extra landing gear - if people want it maybe its something I can add later

What do you all think?

Jedi Dade

2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds great...especially if the quality and price was competitive with Falcon Kits...and if your new sidewalls were more accurate than his, so much the better!

3. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be interested, especially if they were cheaper than Falcon Kits.

4. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I'd be interested simply because Falcon Kits seems impossible to contact! [​IMG]

5. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

well I'm not sure on a price or anything yet, this is just to gauge interest at the moment. the plan would be to have something more accurate looking then the Falcon kits version but have it be ESB. It can not ever really be accurate since the falcon wasn't built in this scale, but at least it can "look" right. A kit like this wouldn't be cheap though. it would probably be at least as expensive as the Falcon kits kit though - that's really how much it costs to make this stuff...unless your ready to accept !!#&$!ty castings...I don't think so - not with this crowd. so there is a bunch if initial costs up front that need to be recovered, as well as the recurring costs... trust me I'm not going to get rich on something like this.

Jedi Dade

6. OPPI

OPPI Well-Known Member

interested for sure pending the final price and pics down the road of course

dan

7. Treadwell

understood re: accuracy in a different scale...as long as some effort is made to find parts that approximate the ESB side panel details, I'm happy. [​IMG]

8. Raygun

Raygun Well-Known Member

Heck, even if you could keep it near the Falcon kits cost-wise, and the same quality, I'd buy one. I've been trying to get a falcon kits "total upgrade" package for 2 years. I've been ready to give up and just make my own replacements at this point. I'd love to see someone do the drop down laser cannon, an accurate interior for the cockpit, some replacement window framse for the boffer lasers, and the landing claw.
    Since it's such a big kit, I always wanted to have mine hanging vertical on a section of the star destroyer. Then I could have a small brass plaque engraved to go with it: "we'll just float away.....With the rest of the garbage". I figured hanging would be a good idea to save space.

Raygun

9. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

that's too funny. If this happens it will be a larger modification to the original mode then the falcon kits one was. Replaceing the entire cockpit tube, and cockpit and the entire engine wedge area with something better, all of that will require some serious modifications to the MPC kit. The MPC cockpit tube is the wrong diameter and "flattened" at the top instead of maintainig its roundness all the way down its length, and the engine wedge... a complete disappointment. If it goes as planned it will be a bigger kit then the Faclon kits one...I'm hoping I can keep the price reasonable and still have a decent kit. the only thing that the Falcon kits has that this one won't is landing gear upgrades - falcon kits PE landing gear stuff is top notch, and I don't do any PE... You could always mold and cast the original MPC gear if you wanted the extra 2 but I'm not planning on that.

What do you guys think about having a mounting point in the docking rings a la the studio model. It would definitly cost more to go that route, but could be pretty cool. just a thought.

Jedi Dade

10. Treadwell

I think if someone wanted to install a mounting point they could find a way to do it themselves...no need to over engineer the kit, IMO.

11. Raygun

Raygun Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do a mounting point. I think if you did, most people who had it mounted that way wouldn't have anywhere to display it, except high up on a wall. Either that or walk into it. Around our house, I'd come hone and find a $@%!&#& CAT sitting on top of it chewing on the guns.

How are you planning to do the engines??? I've never found anything useful for an engine reference. The best idea I had was light sheet behind a "grill" I have a photo etched grill that fits perfect. It's from some kind of printer cartidge. Don't ask me what kind of printer it ame from. I got it from a guy in our model club and he's not there anymore.

12. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I was talking about the wedge at the back above the engines that has all of the detailing on it. Persoanlly I have a great mini florescent lighting systems that has 4 bulbs 2 white 2 blue that throws a ton of light - that's what is going to get installed on mine [​IMG] I was thinking of offering that as well but that's not what I'm talking about at this time. right now its trying to make the model look correct - lighting it is a different problem...with many solutions. Lightsheet is great stuff but I don't find it bright enough for my liking. To each their own.

Jedi Dade

13. Naked Brain

Naked Brain New Member

Hey Dade,

I would deffinately be interested, as long as price, blah blah blah... Count me in

Tim

14. ViperRecon

ViperRecon New Member

I'm interested! You really should ask over at the Starship Modeler boards too, I bet you'd get a lot of interest there...

Mark Snyder
    Seoul, Korea

15. Raygun

Raygun Well-Known Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Jedi Dade wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    I was talking about the wedge at the back above the engines that has all of the detailing on it.
    Jedi Dade
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Ahh...I thought you were refering to the actual engine along the back. Sorry. Still...I've never seen any photos, etc that should what it is supposed to look like when the engine is off. mini florecents would be cool too. I was just thinking of using the light sheet for the obvious reasons; one, it's cut to fit and flexible, and two, it's an even glow. I'm also not a big fan of working with electronics, since I usually end up melting something [​IMG] Light sheet is plug and play, so even an electronicly challanged tard like myself can make it work without burning down the house.

If Fine Molds would make a 1/72nd scale Falcon, I'd gladly beat my MPC one to pieces with a hammer....I wish, I wish, I wish.

Raygun

16. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Here's an awesome set of pictures that will ket you know what the studio model looked like - including the engine wedge

http://www.studioscale.com/Maths%20Potos.htm

as far as light sheet vs mini - florescents - I'm no electrical wiz-kid and I was able to get the flos to light up. all that is required is a tiny amount of soldering - even a klutz like me was able to pull it off. The circuit board even came with a wireing diagram so you know what wire to hook to part part of the board. peice of cake [​IMG]

Jedi Dade

17. neoprime

neoprime Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this. Concerning electronics, perhaps hyperdyne(sp?) would lend a hand for a kit. Just a thought.

18. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

I'm interested ,pending the final price and pics down the road of course [​IMG]

Regards,
    aljf[​IMG]

19. DangeRuss66

DangeRuss66 New Member

I'm interested as well. Keep us posted on price. My kit's been sitting on a shelf for the last year and like the rest of my kits, is just waiting for me to find a good work place to put them together. Apartments suck.

Russell

20. nightrider

nightrider Sr Member

I'm very intersted Dade. I ended up haveing to do my sides from scratch after trying to get in touch with falcon kits for about six months. I was very pleased with how it turned out, but one can never have to much money or to many falcons. [​IMG]

21. DangeRuss66

DangeRuss66 New Member

So... how much more interest do you need to go forward with this project?

Also, I'm probably going to do a diarama with my Falcon and was wondering if a detailed landing ramp might be feasable?

Keep us posted

Thanks,
    Russell

22. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I think that there has ben enough interest to take this further. I still am not sure exactly when I'll be able to do it. For being unemployed I seem to have a cr@pload of stuff to do all the time [​IMG]. I'm thinking that I should have a set of sometyhing to show sometime early next year. I'll post pics and stuff as things become more "real". Landing ramp... I never really considered that a major flaw of the MPC kit. I'm not planning on it.

23. Seymour Butz

Seymour Butz Well-Known Member

Could be interested, depending on how the final product looks. [​IMG]

24. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

I'd be very interested. I've had a MPC Falcon sitting sealed waiting for something like this to come along that I can afford to get.

25. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I would be interested too.... but why not add the New Hope Falcon as well?
    I prefer the New Hope version.

26. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

The reason is that it is a lot of scratch building to do these and that I had to pick one. The falcon kits detail package was a lot closer to the ANH falcon so I choose to do the ESB - plus I have more of the donor kits from the 32 ESB falcon, so I can look at what the part is supposed to look like and build something that looks similar only 1/4 the size [​IMG] to use for the detail on this kit. I know that it will never be "perfect" but I want to be "happy" with it. Really I'm doing this for myself - and since I am,I might as well offer it up to others right - and I want the ESB falcon [​IMG]

Many of the parts from this kit could be used in an ANH version, the cockpit & tube, & docking rings spring to mind first, but the majority of the scratch building will be on the engine wedge and side pannels, and they'd need to be completely redone to work out as "similar" to the studio model. The ESB and ANH/ROTJ models differ drastically in the detailing of those areas.

Jedi Dade

27. Winona Ryder's Bra

Winona Ryder's Bra New Member

YOU NEED TO MAKE A REPLACEMENT RADAR DISH!!!!! Please...the Ertl radar dish on the Falcon is too big. If you take a look at Chronicles and then look at the built up Ertl kit on SM or anywhere you will see the difference. Make a dish too!

I have Falcon kits and the Millenium Models photo-etch detailing parts for the Falcon. I am also awaiting Dragon models to release their 1:144 Panther G tank within in the next month. As you guys know, the Panther G back end was used on a lot of the ILM studio kits, and they used the Panther G on the 3 sections behind the rear 3 circle vents on the engine wedge. Well, I measured the Dragon 1:144 Jagdpanther body to the Ertl Falcon and guess what? PERFECT SCALE MATCH! As soon as they release the Panther G I am getting 3 of them for the engine wedge to match the ILM Falcon. It might be a good idea to get one and recast it for the upgrade kit.

28. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I picked up a dragon panther already - molded it and cast the appropriate parts. The results were...ok. I'm not sure if the scale of the dragon is truly 1/144 because it came out a bit too small. Its better then the complete lack of detail that was there - but it looks a little funky if you simply remove the detail thats there and replace it with the cast up rear of the panther. When I started thinking about doing this I cut the entire engine wedge off of my ERTL falcon and cast it. then I removed almost all of the detail and starting adding parts from the same "topic" that was used on the falcon in 1/2 the scale. It works mostly - but my experince with using the dragon model as a base for the panther - encouraging but not as good as I want it to be it seems a bit too small. It may only be 1/16 of an inch but when you put it on and stand away from it that 1/16 shows up on a near unconcious level as somethings wrong with it but I'm not sure what. Since I had just done that piece I knew what was wrong, but the effect was... it looks kinda right but somethings amiss. That's my opinion of it anyway. If you're happy with it by all means scratch build away [​IMG]

The MMI photo etch detail is really nice but it doesn't have enough "vents" on the "panther part" on the engine area the kit supplies 2 of the 4 vents for each of ther 3 panther parts so you get 6 when you actually need 12 - I bought a couple of kits so I was able to correct, but if you only have 1 you only have 1/2 of the vent PE that you need. The large vents (along with the resin parts) with the PE grills as well as all of the grills on the docking arms are awesome.

Radar dish...I think I'll try to finish off what I have planned to do before anything else. But thanks for the input!

Jedi Dade

29. Winona Ryder's Bra

The panther part looks a hair small but close enough for me, and as close as we'll ever get. I rather it be too small than too big. The radar dish is much more obvious to me; I might end up scratchbuilding it. I got a feeling by the time I get to all this stuff though Fine Molds might have a Falcon out.

30. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

I'd be VERY interested in the back engine detail, as well as the rest.

I've about given up on FalconKits, even MMI have been taking their time getting back to me.

Do you have any time frame on this project?

31. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I'm thinking that things may be close in the Febuarary time frame. sometimes things fly somtimes they crawl, that's why this is an interest thread instead of an order thread [​IMG]

Jedi Dade

32. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

That's cool, gives me time to clear off other projects and models.

Hey, as for the detailing. Have you considered brass or aluminum rods for the various pipes (instead of trying to pull molds)? That's what I was going to use as part of the detailing (never considered the kitbashing route)

for the kit you could just either pack them in or suggest what to get, then indicate where one might need to drill the holes, bend a certain length of the rod and fit to the model.

33. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I plan on putting as much onto the peices as makes sense - if addition rods as such are needed, or if due to he "layered nature" of the falcon detail individual parts need to be made and added to the main piece we'll see but I'm going to try to keep the kits as simple as possible in terms of how many parts there are. basically I'm going to try and build the kit I always wanted - a great looking falcon that you could conciveable build in a few days. I've always kinda beleived that if its a kit you shouldn't need to be a master modeler to use it - If I'm going through a lot of trouble I might as well scratch build the thing [​IMG]

I think that the modifications that you'll need to do to the MPC kit for this detail kit will be about as far as anyone should ever go to use a "kit". To do this you'll need to remove large secions of the original model with a razor saw, then attatch the kit peices. If you're like me that will mean a round or 2 of puttying and sanding to take care of the "opps's" then comes looking at it and seeing you're your satisfied with the amount of detailing etc (do I want to try and scratch that little extra peice to make it totally "mine"), priming painting, washes, painting, weathering, repainting, reweathering...until at last it looks 1/2 as good as it did in your head [​IMG] Thats my modeling lifecycle.

Jedi Dade

34. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would be interested too.

I have 3 MFalcon kits waiting for a more accurate side details and cockpit, and everyone who has offered these seem unavailable to get ahold of now.

Price and Pics, hold a few for me........

35. Winona Ryder's Bra

Falconkits is still shipping his stuff out; a modeler on the SM messageboard said he just got his. The maker, Jack Smith, is a teacher during his day job, so I think his production is slow due to his schedule but he is still doing it.

36. Akanah

Akanah New Member

I am up for a kit as well, depending on price. I am going to scrathbuild my own cockpit interior, but the rest I am in need of... [​IMG]

37. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Jack Smith is a really good guy, and I've purchased his detail kit in the past - it is really good, especially the landing gear set - awesome. He does Falcon kits in his spare time I think, and gets quite backed up. He's backed up because his kit makes a really nice falcon, and is pretty reasonable. This thread is about something a bit different though. I'm trying to create (with help) a set of detail parts that will make the ERTL kit look like the ESB falcon. Falcon kits makes a really nice model but its not a particular Falcon....although I think it looks more like the ANH version then the ESB - which is part of the reason why I chose to try and make this kit of the ESB falcon. Please do not take anything I have said as trying to disuade you from getting a falcon kits product. Very few of us in this hobby are in it for the money - Most are lucky to not go broke trying to build studio scale stuff and the like [​IMG] There's plenty of room for all of us in this hobby...well except for the recasters [​IMG]

Jedi Dade

38. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Well two things I'd like to add here. First, as much as I like what I see from FalconKits, I cannot get a hold of him. He has yet to reply to any emails I've sent (since August) and the same goes for quite a few modellers on various forums. A shame cause he could be losing quite a bit of business just by ignoring them.

Second, the thing that I'm personally interested in on this project is the rear panel detailling, it's the part I've always felt was the most lacking on the Falcon, long before I noticed the height difference. Now I never had put any real thought into which version of the Falcon I'd like to put together, more like a generic type really, but if this particular kit comes together, I'm sold!

39. DangeRuss66

DangeRuss66 New Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what in particiluar distinguishes an ESB Falcon from the other movies? I know the landing gear is different, but what else makes the ESB Falcon stand out?

ESB is my favorite movie, and I am planning on doing a diarama of the Cloud City landign platform including the landing lights and such. Maybe--- we'll see how detailed I decide to take it when the build actually begins.

Russell

40. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

it mainly in all the little details. The ESB falcon is scaled down from 5 feet to just over 2.5 feet. The proportions are all the same. To me the main differences are in the side panels and the detailing along the engine wedge, but if you compare the 2 closely pretty much everywhere you look the detailing is different - but looks close enough at a glance (or as its streaking by on screen) that you don't notice its a completely different model.

Jedi Dade

41. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Id be interested in a detailing kit. I have an MPC falcon thats been sitting around for years because I couldnt get a falcon accurizing kit.

Josh

42. nightrider

nightrider Sr Member

How's it coming along on the kit dade?

43. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Well - its really slow mainly because I'm currently trying to find a decent job while doing odd jobs to pay the bills while perform PT and doctors visits to bring my rteconstructed knee to where I can live with it. Basically all of my projects have been swallowed up in the big black whole that is the real world, due to lack of free cash and time. I hate it when the real world intrudes on my hobbies! But rest assured I plan on completeing it. I've also considered enlisting a well respected modeler to complete it for me. We'll see how it goes but it will happen eventually. I'm sorry if I've raised expectaions beyond my ability to deliver.

Jedi Dade

44. nightrider

nightrider Sr Member

Real life really is a drag isn't it. No hurry man, it'll be worth it when it's done. Just keep us posted.

45. JLinNY

JLinNY Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Put me down as interested.

46. DangeRuss66

DangeRuss66 New Member

Hi Dade---

Hope things are going well for you. I'm not in a big hurry for a detail kit, but sure would love to help keep this project alive and see it to the end some day. Any updates?

Russell

47. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Well as luck would have it I just recently got a new job (starting Monday mornning). After I pay some bills and recharge the bank account a bit this thing will be going ahead. I still need get a hold of my buddy who will be doing the casting etc. to make sure he still has time and everything, but I am now confident that things will be moving shortly. Beleive me when I tell you nobody is more happy about getting this rolling again more then me [​IMG] ... it means I have a little bit of free money instead of living off of savings. Thanks to all of you for staying interested!

Jedi Dade

48. nightrider

nightrider Sr Member

Glad things are looking up for you Dade, I can't wait to see the finished kit.

49. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Any news on this kit, or did I miss the post somewhere? Just curious, thanks.

I found a great local hobby shop in my new town and they are the great mom and pop shop with everything from R/C stuff to every modelling thing under the sun. Its the kind of shop where the old-timers sit in there with there samdwiches and drinks and shoot the breeze and talk shop and probably are some of the best underknow modelers/builders in the world kinda place.

They happen to have a MPC Falcon for $29.99, is that a good price or too much?

Also, they have the AMT ERTL Slave 1 for $14.99, same question.

I am asking the pro's as I am new to this type of modeling, thanks guys.

50. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Anyone?