MPC 1/72 Space 1999 Eagle

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all,
I actually had time to build a model recently! :oops:
This is the 1/72 scale Eagle transporter from Space 1999. It's from MPC/Round2 (I think Round2 partnered on this one) and the finished Eagle measures 14" in length.
It's waaay more detailed than the older MPC kit, and the molding is really clean and sharp. Here's the parts layout.

20200314_142145.jpg

The build is pretty straightforward. The only semi-complicated step was the assembly of the engine frame. It would have helped to have an extra hand or six to hold the small pipes in alignment. :lol:

I left things in subassemblies to make painting easier. Still a good number of assemblies, as seen here.

20200315_102509.jpg

I gave all the parts a coat of Tamiya fine surface primer in gray, and then a couple of lighter coats of the same fine surface primer in white. This gave everything a nice dirty white appearance.

20200315_202018.jpg

I didn't do much in the way of weathering. Just added a gray pin wash to those corridor sections shown above.

I masked off some random panels and hit the model again with the gray Tamiya primer. This gave me those odd shapes that are seen on the filming models. Here's an example.

20200316_190847.jpg

After that was done, I hit the model again with a misty coat of the white primer to tone down the contrast of the little gray panels. Then I applied the decals, which are really comprehensive! The sheet includes all the little shapes and markings that were present on the studio models.
Fun note: many of the small markings on the original Eagles were Letraset architectural shapes, such as sinks, toilets, beds, etc.

Everything was given a final clear coat using Testors clear flat and the Eagle was complete. Here are some finished pics.

20200320_174704.jpg 20200320_174722.jpg 20200320_174845.jpg 20200320_174824.jpg 20200320_174738.jpg 20200320_174753.jpg

As a comparison, here's the kit next to the prebuilt 22" Eagle.

20200320_201112.jpg

This was a fun build! I really enjoyed Space 1999 during its run (yeah, I'm old, haha) and always thought the Eagles were some of the most "realistic" sci-fi ship designs.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! They are nicely detailed.
I picked up one of the 22" kits last week but I probably won't have time to work on it for a while.

Your build looks fantastic! I just ordered one and the Paragraphix photoetch detail set for my next build. I'd love to get the metal engine bell set too, but I can't justify spending twice what the kit costs for them. I'll probably light it since the PE set includes interior details. I'm a little anxious about cutting out the window areas, but hopefully it will go well.

Nice work here! Always thought this was a cool looking and practical looking ship as a kid.
I have the 22" long kit you just picked up on my list of projects. Very nicely detailed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back