Moving Mandible Mask......build Progress....

And that kids is why I to this day still promote the giving of Erector Sets at Christmas! AWESOME! You do realize that everyone on here is going to want you to put up templates and detailed drawings for all the parts, right? lol...

A couple of ideas/suggestions (Which I gladly stick up my arse), which you may or may not have already tried:

1. In lieu of having the brace that runs in front of the wearer's nose, is there a way to reinforce the pivot joints by running a support piece from the joint to the rear of the helmet?
2. My daughter is a lacrosse goalie which gave me the idea of the chin cup they wear to hold their helmets on (Or football, hockey, whatever) came to mind. Easy enough to find for $10, and can be epoxy'd in place.
3. Are you finding that there is enough tension in the rope you are using? Have you considered using a cable from an old bicycle? It would seem to me that the latex would cause the rope to stretch a bit, not allowing for a fully opened effect. Even fishing line may improve the issue, in that regard (Again, if it even exists).

AWESOME job, fellas!

support
And that kids is why I to this day still promote the giving of Erector Sets at Christmas! AWESOME! You do realize that everyone on here is going to want you to put up templates and detailed drawings for all the parts, right? lol...

A couple of ideas/suggestions (Which I gladly stick up my arse), which you may or may not have already tried:

1. In lieu of having the brace that runs in front of the wearer's nose, is there a way to reinforce the pivot joints by running a support piece from the joint to the rear of the helmet?
2. My daughter is a lacrosse goalie which gave me the idea of the chin cup they wear to hold their helmets on (Or football, hockey, whatever) came to mind. Easy enough to find for $10, and can be epoxy'd in place.
3. Are you finding that there is enough tension in the rope you are using? Have you considered using a cable from an old bicycle? It would seem to me that the latex would cause the rope to stretch a bit, not allowing for a fully opened effect. Even fishing line may improve the issue, in that regard (Again, if it even exists).

AWESOME job, fellas!

thanx for the reply.

there will be a brace from the jaw joint to the helmet strap at the back to aid rigidity.

really like the idea of the chinstrap, will look into that, we just used a handbag shoulder strap for now. its easily changable with just a few nuts and bolts.

and the rope, or string, line,..... it is nylon braid. very strong it doesnt stretch like fishing line or kink like bike cable and it glides nicely in the runners.

thats what we are trying to achieve, a template pack. on a budget, but with high quality.
we will probably be making the masks too for this design to fit straight into, and as for the mechanical head piece, its fully adjustable so it will fit most peoples sweeds. :)

Looking good man.......cant wait to see it in action with a mask.....I've been working on a system myself now for nearly a year lol......it's good to see other systems......i've been holding out with my one until I have it working in a mask (which should be pretty soon hopefully)
Keep on it man....well done.

cheers skunk, im pretty confident it will work, theres a lot of time and measurements and hard work gone into this so far.
it doesnt look much now but we know the end goal.

the next pics will include the top mandible building and just a few other pics

Very, very cool.

It's extremely cool to see the way others approach things like this, but it's often kept as a closely guarded secret. So thank you for putting it out there for others. Best of luck and can't wait to see more!!

wowow....Awesome i want to see how they move in video..... :)

I will put a video up as soon as i get the time pal, dnt worrie if its not up for a while, i will make one.

Big thank you to all the support and nice comments from you guys on here, keep em coming :D :)

Here's the 1st update of whats been going on...

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/trojanrascal84/mask%20build%20update/?start=all

Are you making the bottom mandibles swing out or is the joint pitched so they go down and out?

hiya Darth, they go down with your jaw, and swing out too so its a nice down and out. the top ones were a little tricky because they go up and out but not too much so some clever angles had to be worked out to achieve that as the top jaw is rigid on the frame. its not as easy as it may look.

when a video is made it will become a lot clearer on how they move. stills dont really do it justice, but its awsome :)

also thankyou to bweapon for the latex mask, cheers pal, sorry yours had to be the one getting modified but its for a good cause and it will look the nuts when its finished so dont ...worrie. :)

Hahaa, when you said you were cutting it up to modify it o_O all sorts did go through my head. But hey it was yours so stick a unicorn horn on it a and spray it with a pearlescent metal flake if thats your thing.

But no, I mean who here hasnt thought about making their own moving mouth mask. So this one deserves some serious attention.
Plus you're work looks solid so I cant wait to see it come to life. Just glad its suiting a purpose.
Good luck with it :D

And alot of us who know Brad , will wonder if it was lined with alittle bit of truth lol.

Good luck with the rest Terry , always good to see new ideas and plans being shown on the forum.

thanx Lee.

thought id put up a little video of a few questions answered, pointers for people and a little rundown on whats happening with the build.

hope you enjoy update no:2.....if this doesn't work then i may need some help ie with the vid

Very cool video Terry, and good of you to share so far ( some members like Grusderk treated the mouth mechanics as if they were all done by voodoo magic, and his actually barely worked )

I hope peope outside the UK get some of the humour, ( made me laugh out loud , so cheers )

good luck with the rest, although im sure luck will play no part.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back