Movies that Suck Except for a Couple of Great Scenes

Richard Baker

Sr Member
I admit I tend to reach for the fast forward when things drag or I find frustrating/stupid. It is a fantastic experience to watch a film and enjoy every moment in it- 'Back to the Future Part One' and the original Star Wars (ANH) are like that.
There are many movies though which are horrible to watch in their entirety but have a couple of kick ass scenes which are worth watching over and over again. Here is the start of my short list of some notable films which suck except for a few golden moments-

Sucker Punch
A dark and uncomfortable story interspaced with great battle scenes- hot chicks fighting Nazi-Zombies to rock music for one. The scattered fight scenes are the only parts of the movie I watch and I try to forget the rest of it.

Supernova
A rescue ship is called to an Ice Mine orbiting a blue giant star with is about to explode. The film tries to be a a horror movie but you get the feeling you have seen it all before. Best scenes are when the ship FTL jumps into an asteroid field (one of the best space jump effects ever) and is severly damaged, and at the end with an objust containing nine-dimentional matter comes into contact with an exploding supernova, creating a cascading destruction starting with local star systems and spreads though the galaxy. There is a alternate version of this last one on the DVD which is even better.

The Black Hole
This movie is slow and ponderous, visually rich but boring. When the Cygnus starts moving into the black hole's event horizon it gets pretty good (except for the last three minutes, which is a cliche cop out)

Star Trek- The Motion Picture
Aside from the Klingon sequence and the fan-lovefest Drydock scene this film, while well made, it is just unexciting and awkward. For a cast which had so many great TV moments most of the performances seem to just be read from a script.

Star Trek- Nemesis
Fantastic space battle, with ships sweeping around and firing, parts exploding off and ramming head on. I can watch that part over and over, the rest, not so much

Judge Dredd (1995)
Wonderful city fly through scene at the beginning which is reprised with a chase scene later. The world they created is far more interesting that the people and what they do in it. A fan edit removing
Rob Schneider would help IMO

Close Encounters of the Third kind
A well made film but I skip ahead to any of the scenes involving UFOs. Roy Neary has a lousy family and I dislike watching him fall apart trying to resolve the alien implanted messages.

Opinions?

As I mentioned above, it is a well made film. I just do not care for the family stuff and Roy falling apart.
I jump to the UFO scenes and I can watch those all day.
There is a difference between films you can watch and enjoy every moment of and films where you reach for the remote to get to the spots you like.

Batman V Superman...

That “Martha!” scene is comedy gold.

Whenever I’m down, I cue up that movie and go right to that scene for a knee-slapping giggle.

Yes on Sucker Punch. Great action but the rest of it is humans being terrible to each other. Not fun.

I agree on CE3K. Roy's wife is an uncaring bitch, more concerned with appearances than with what was troubling her husband.

Attack of The Clones

I love the whole Battle of Geonosis sequence when the Republic Gunships attack, the rest of the movie though...

Likewise, Return of the Jedi. Fast forward through all except the space battle scenes

While I liked Rogue One, I love watching this cut of the space/aerial battle scenes only.

Prometheus:

The landscapes, set design and photography are fantastic. The run from the storm is a real nail-biter. The actions of the so-called scientists - not so much.

Superman 2...the Richard Lester version, not the re-done entirely Dick Donner version.
Though a terrible movie, Lester added a scene that was always to me, anyway, the best part of the movie: when Superman has been missing and the 3 villains are taking over, Superman suddenly appears outside the window of the Daily Planet standing on a flagpole with his arms crossed with the incredibly hero line:" General, would you care to step outside?"
Great line. Oh, don't get me wrong. The entirely Donner version is far superior but Lester gets the win for the single best line.

Steve McQueen's Bullitt. Pretty boring(to me) except the EPIC chase scene.
-Krull (another peter yates movie)
The scene of the spider
-Singing in the rain (not a bad movie I just didnt like it)
At the beginning when Don is talking about his life before becoming a big movie star. Gene Kelly singing in the rain and the good morning dance sequence

It's A Wonderful Life. Don't get me wrong, I love this movie, and can appreciate the whole thing now that I'm older, but I really have to admit there's really only two parts to the movie that really interest me: George Bailey flirting with Mary (Charleston contest & Lasso the moon) and George finding out what life would be like without him (saving Clarence from the river to the end). The rest of the movie is really not that interesting or memorable.

It's A Wonderful Life. Don't get me wrong, I love this movie, and can appreciate the whole thing now that I'm older, but I really have to admit there's really only two parts to the movie that really interest me: George Bailey flirting with Mary (Charleston contest & Lasso the moon) and George finding out what life would be like without him (saving Clarence from the river to the end). The rest of the movie is really not that interesting or memorable.

8784D947-B6FF-402F-A460-67018904A5D0.jpeg

“BLASPHEMEY!!

Thou hast foresaken the Holy tale of George Bailey!!”

:)

Last edited:
Game of Death mainly because Bruce Lee died during the filming and his genius for filming the finale first which is the only good part of the movie.

Iron Eagle is not an enjoyable movie but I do like the final jet attack sequence.

Ninja 3 The Domination, the movie is not that enjoyable but I enjoy the last fight scene.

The Hunted the fight scene on the train was awesome.

Sean

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back