Movies that are due to be remade.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by CJS, Feb 24, 2012.

1. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

It's friday and stuck at home. Seriously what movies could be remade, better by technology and that are just dated. I would love to see Soylent Green redone. Effects yes, dated? definitely. And the subject matter is kinda relevant to the times we live in, verge of overpopulation, strain on natural resources etc. Any additions?

2. handler

handler Well-Known Member

I would like to see Halloween remade. I'm not talking about Rob Zombie's versions which pale to the original. I'd like to see a H1 done with the original style mask and original storyline.

3. Fizbin

Fizbin Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of remakes, simply because they tend to suck. I don't know what the disconnect is with the film industry today, but they seem to take a good concept and water it down to the point where it becomes just plain stupid or completely boring.

The only remake that I can think of which was really an improvement over the original is John Carpenter's "The Thing" from 1982.

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Always is a remake of the film A Guy Named Joe. It's better than it's predecessor.

5. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Whoa there fella! Don't be stompin' on my Tracy! :behave

Doug

6. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Patton. Not remade, but altered ala Lucas. Use cgi to put the proper tanks in there. It always bugs me to see patton tanks used in WWII for both sides.

Riceball likes this.
  7. GiovanniDekkers

GiovanniDekkers Active Member

Flash Gordon, should at least be a trilogy saga , would love to see something like this be remade.

"Humanoids from the Deep", was like my favourite monster movie back in the mid eighthees, there should be cool sea monsters in it, doing it to...you know what.

8. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

Citizen Kane

They say it's the greatest movie ever made. New audiences need to see it but black and white is too old now. They should remake it and give it modern digital effects and 3D.

They need a lead actor that will appeal to the younger audiences, have Vin Diesel play the lead role of Charles Foster Kane.

People won't understand an old man's appeal to a childhood sled, so they should also change rosebud into a flash sportscar he bought in his 20's.

Riceball likes this.
  9. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Capricorn One
    Three days of the Condor
    Fail Safe
    Outland
    Soylent Green
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
    Buckaroo Banzai
    Koyaanisqatsi

And im happy if Sir Ridley Scott directs them all.:love Nolan can do Banzai maybe.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  10. Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan Active Member

Max Headroom. The original is 56 min. and just doesn't stand up.

11. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Wicked suggestion John Smallberries lol

12. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

The Cannonball Run
    The Last Starfighter

13. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Fail Safe was remade as a made for TV movie in 2000. Starred George Clooney, Harvey Keitel and Richard Dreyfuss as The President. Done in black and white as well.

No I didn't see it either. :lol

Kevin

14. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Beastmaster.

Great movie but worthy of a current remake.

I'd also love to see a remake of the Breakfast Club...another great movie.

David

15. RelicMaker

RelicMaker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would love to see 'Hellraiser' remade.
    I watched it a few months back for the first time in a long time, and it is really dated!:eek
    I loved it seeing it as a kid, but as an adult, it just didn't stand the test of time...
    Although, watching Frank's body come all back together from the floor is still one of the coolest things to watch!:cool:thumbsup

16. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

Instead of a remake, Last Starfighter could do with a belated sequel in the same vein as Tron: Legacy.

17. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I loved the beastmaster flicks as a kid!

I'd love to see an Masters of The Universe remake

18. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

The Thin Man. It's a fun film and I love it, but it's half played for laughs with Powell mugging drunk and the dog as comedy relief. Keep it as close to the novel as Huston's Maltese Falcon is to that book and you'd have something. Natalie Portman and Alfred Molina would be perfect for Nick and Nora.

19. joker-scar

joker-scar Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't see any laughing faces :lol: lol by Vin's name, so I can only surmise you have to be serious ....in that case pass around the drugs you're using cause I want to experience that reality. :facepalm

20. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Okay, someone has to say it, because somehow we've gone a whole thread with no Lucas-hate. I must say I'm dissapointed in you all.

Star Wars - like ripping a band-aid off, let's just get the inevitable over with and completely replace EVERYTHING with a gritty "re-imagining", darker and more true to the source material (whatever the hell that oft-bandied phrase means). Or a wacky, candy-coloured farce.

For realsies though? Captain Blood or the Seahawk. Real piratey goodness there, particularly if you try to stick to the book on Blood for this version.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  21. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Unless she opens her mouth, in which case I'd rather jam shards of broken glass into my own eardrums. Such a weird paradox Portman is - she's a fine physical actor, but she can't deliver dialogue to save her life. Black Swan drove me nuts because of that.

But revist the Thin Man? Hell yeah! Great characters with a chance to display some terrific dialogue wirting. 'Falcon might not be a bad remake either actually now that you brought it up.

22. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Well, when I first heard of the idea, I thought Night of the Demons would make a good remake. The original had a great story, make-up and practical effects with some very good scary and creepy moments. The one thing that pulls you out is just how terrible the acting is. The set could have used a little opening up on the outside as well...

However, the remake didn't do anything to improve on the original. It changed some of the cooler aspects of the story. It lacked a lot of the creepiness that was in the original. It was too over the top in some of the scenes and too bright.

See, this is why I have no problem with redoing some effects. To me, there's only one part of Hellraiser that seems even remotely dated, and that's those animated lightning effects. All of the practical effects to me are still perfect.

23. E Q

E Q Active Member

XANADU

Riceball likes this.
  24. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Gotta' agree. It's the first movie I thought of. I'd like to see a combination of ANH / ESB. Take the best two of the whole shabang and try with something and someone new. We still have the old ones...so if it's a trainwreck, who cares.

25. Fizbin

Fizbin Well-Known Member

Well, IMHO the original trilogy still holds up even by today's standards. Sure, the special effects are a little dated, but they don't detract from the overall films one bit.

In fact, I saw little value in beefing up the 'Special Editions', since what they did change was pretty much irrelevant anyway. :unsure

26. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

I was kidding. My point being that the movies are slowly being replaced, piece by piece as it is. There is no need to remake or tamper with those films; there's nothing there which needs to be resaid, or reimagined. Now the PT on the other hand...great story with weak execution and some bad, bad artistic choices. THERE'S a remake I might be able to get behind in a couple of decades.

27. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Miracle Mile is one that I personally wouldn't want to see a remake done as, but wouldn't mind seeing it if it was done right (I think the original director has stated he wouldn't mind if a remake of it was done here at this film festival video. If not in that video, maybe in another video I saw, but I think it was in this one he talks about how he would like to see a remake and even talks about the original version of the script in which it involved a more mature couple for the leads, which I think would be interesting to see).

28. TaylorMcManus

TaylorMcManus Well-Known Member

I think, if taken seriously, a Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers reboot could be awesome!

29. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Don't they do this every season?

Riceball likes this.
  30. CrimsonSun

CrimsonSun New Member

yes, that would be nice!!!!!!!!
    why not a movie about the cartoon series "Thundercats"

enemy mine
    as a teenager i played a pen and paper roleplay called "shadowrun" a movie like that would be nice (similar to the game deux ex human revolution)

31. russm5277

russm5277 Guest

Hollywood is doing this all the time...remake or reimagined. I would like to see Beastmaster, He-Man, The Warriors, Ice Pirates, Time Bandits... :love

32. CrimsonSun

CrimsonSun New Member

you are right....everywhere you see part 2,3,4,5.............nothing new.

33. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Hughe's Hell's Angels. Shot for shot.

34. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

The last I heard, Tony Scott (back in 2008) announced that he was working on a remake of The Warriors. But instead of it being set in New York, it's being set in L.A. (which honestly, I'm a little iffy on, even though I enjoy Scott's work (especially The Hunger).

35. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

Little Shop of Horrors. But do it has a Horror movie and not a musical.

36. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Some of those are actually not bad ideas. The original ideas were good, but it didn't quite gel.
    But Fail Safe and Koyaanisqatsi? Nay Nay.

Billy Jack is unintentionally hilarious in parts because of the hippies and freedom school. I laugh at the naive viewpoints.
    Billy himself is timeless. Perhaps with Tom Hardy. [he's becoming the go-to guy for physical acting.]

37. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I don't know if you could remake Koyaanisqatsi as it was, but I know it shouldn't be done. Any remake of a Koyaanisqatsi would only end up being a documentary with a director with an agenda trying to force some sort of message instead of showing the world as it is.

38. Jehudah Design

Jehudah Design Well-Known Member

I think all remakes that sucked should be remade, but then they might just suck twice as much afterwards.

39. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

The last starfighter... I would go see that!

They can't change the ship design... But WOW those graphics didn't hold up!

40. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Yeah, Last Starfighter would be great. Really, quite a few lesser known Sci-fi's could be remade.
    Krull
    Ghost in The Shell. (Almost shot for shot with no major deviations from plot)
    The last unicorn
    TMNT...

41. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Totally agree there... But in this case I'd rather get an updated Special Edition than a new movie with new actors. I really liked Daniel O'Herlihy's performance.

Kevin

42. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, other details were released as well. Not only was it to be set in L.A. instead of New York, the gangs were to be much larger than they were in the original, with numbers in the thousands. Also, "The Warriors" were to be the only returning gang. None of the others in the original film were planned to be used. The whole idea just sounds like an awful mess. I hope it never sees the light of day.

There are a handful of remakes I like. The Thing, The Fly, The Blob, The Hills Have Eyes, just to name a few. What film would I like to see remade? Logan's Run. Lots of room for improvement there.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  43. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Whats that watermelon doing there?

I feasted on the visual and aural aspects of Koyaanisqatsi rather than the message, i think a revisit in the current timeline with say IMAX tech would be staggering. Fail Safe still has much to offer also with a modern spin and strong cast, just my two cents. Motivated myself to watch Banzai again, screams for a rework.

44. handler

handler Well-Known Member

I agree. They would definitely need to reboot the game played, though.

45. Omnedon

Omnedon New Member

Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze ...

46. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would love to see a period version of War of the Worlds. Something closer to the book. I'm surprised M Night "It's a twist" Shyamalan has not done a remake of Blade Runner with the book ending.
    This Island Earth. Metaluna could be done a lot better now.

47. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

No! Not that one! I don't think I can live without normal view!

48. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

The wizard of oz...not that it needs to be remade but I'd be interested to see a non musical version with a LOTR type treatment.

As a matter a fact one of the reasons I'd be interested in seeing this is due to the scene in Reurn of The King, when Sam, Frodo and Gollum are hiding in a short cliff just outside Mina's Morgul as Saurans army marches out....that scene reminded me so much of the scene in The wizard of os when the tin man, the lion and the scare crow are hiding outside the witches castle as her army marches out.

49. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

Movie I'd like to see remade and updated = WESTWORLD

Movie I would not like to see remade = LOGAN'S RUN

50. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Funny you bring that one up. My wife and I were talking about this one a couple weeks ago, mainly about how would it be if remade. We concluded it would be made into strictly a chase movie ala "The Fugitive" and the main point to the story would be tossed aside leaving it hollow.

Doug