Movies that actually shaped your future?

Watching the Star Wars OT as a kid made a huge impact on my aesthetics and that still follows me. Costumes and model designs just blew me away, and still does.

Jimmy Stewart in 'Harvey'.

"Years ago my mother said to me, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' For years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

That movie got me through 10 years of PTSD therapy. No lie.

even though I'm just 15 and a little too young to be saying this, the back to the future's are possibly the most influential. they gave me my love for sitting for long hours and thinking about quantum physics. also, it made me want to be a concept artist for movies( a goal not too far away from my other aspiration, to be a graphic novelist). I'm working toward that now, starting with building my own prop replica's. also, the sheer amount of quotables in those movies dominates the atmosphere when I go over to my friend's house.

even though I'm just 15 and a little too young to be saying this...
I think mindset is more important than age. The fact that you came away from the Back to the Future movies with something far more than "they were entertaining" says something about your character. Back in the 60s Star Trek was supposed to be an entertainment series, but I've read countless stories about people whose careers in aerospace, engineering, computer science, communications, and so on, were influenced by watching that show when they were young. Besides, as Kirk said in Star Trek III, "Young minds, fresh ideas."

I guess I'll start with saying The Empire Strikes Back (was a wee one when Star Wars first come out) and that made me want t be an astronaut until I learned that they don't carry lasers and fight aliens, so I decided I'd go into making movies and writing stories. Then I can do that stuff.

But films that help shaped my creativity:
Lawrence of Arabia
Amadeus
Dawn of the Dead
Prince of Darkness

Enter The Dragon: I was only 2 years old when it was first released but my parents took me to rescreening when I was 6. For the next 20 years, I took various martial art disciplines (Judo, Arnis and Choy Li Fut) because I wanted to be the next Bruce Lee. While I am no longer practicing, the mental and physical and spiritual discipline that was instilled in me by my masters has been a major part of my daily life to this day.

Slap Shot: Growing up in Vancouver, Canada, hockey is religion. This movie just pushed me to wanting to play the sport in an organized setting instead of on the street. I was a decent enough player to make it to the BCJHL. But once again, like in martial arts, my coaches taught me lessons in mental and physical toughness which I apply to my daily life.

I became a journalist after watching Fletch for the first time when I was about 12. I've been a reporter now for over 16 years and I couldn't ever do anything else.

One of the most notible were the Bill and Ted films. They helped me to gain an appreciation for the positive impact music can have on people, and the influence in culture.

Also they were one of my first introductions to classic rock. \m/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I can't really recall any specific movies that shaped my path as a kid, though there were plenty that I loved. There were two that stand out to me as movies that shaped the kind of person I want to be as an adult:

the_big_lebowski___jeff_bridges_9616.jpg

220px-BluesBrothers.jpg

I used to be a fairly high-strung cat, with a lot of anger and stress issues that impacted my relationships and overall life happiness factor. Both of these films serve as inspiration for me to relax, take things in stride, and ride the waves as they come.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

War of the Worlds (1953)

Even though the movies came out 25 and 23 years before I was born, I watched them as a child and was utterly fascinated. This fueled my love of science fiction.

Clash of the Titans (1981)

This movie fueled my love of fantasy and mythology. That and I had a bit of a crush on Judi Bowker.

The Last Starfighter (1984)

This movie taught me that you can do great things, no matter who you are or where you're from.

Too many movies have shaped my life: from Western to gangster movies, science-fiction, drama, chick-flicks, etc...a few: Battleship Potemkin, King-Kong (Faye Wray), The red badge of courage, Rio Bravo, The maltese falcon, Casablanca, The third man, War of the World, Metropolis, 2001 A space odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, SW, ESB, Blade Runner, Duel, Jaws, E.T...too many I say, too many:cry

No movies shaped my future. However, Monty Python television and movies have given me a slightly (not completely) different sense of humor.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Logan's Run helped shape the way I view the human need to blindly follow many beliefs and traditions. It wasn't the only influence but it definitely helped steer the course.

Star Wars - I watched it at the perfect age of 11.

Buckaroo Banzai - it's the idea that you don't have to do just one thing in life that impressed me. Since then I wanted to do and learn everything.
I studied physics at UC Berkeley and did research at Lawrence Berkeley Labs. I studied at the Academy of Arts in San Francisco for Product Design and was planning to go to the Art Center. I was a hospital technician for a while. I later went to medical school (and left a trail of murals in the US East Coast and in the UK along the way. I became chief resident and am published. I am now a practicing doctor of Internal Medicine working for the US government. I studied defensive handgun and tactical carbine with Front Sight Academy for years from when they started up in Bakersfield.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back