Movies that actually shaped your future?

DeLucks Designs

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone else ever had a movie actually shape their future? For me, I had a few big ones:

1) Animal House - I knew i'd be going to college after seeing it

2) Star wars - got me into space, technology, science, etc... and ended up getting my engineering degree

3) Slap shot - Started playing ice hockey in elementary school and played through college

Anyone else?

RAIDERS. A guy who can learn as much as he can while kissing girls and making quips. Too busy to shave, too tired to stop. Why'd it have to be snakes?

FLETCH. GHOSTBUSTERS. You can complete a task and right a few wrongs, and you can still be funny, even if not a lot of people get it. And that doesn't matter, because you do, which is what's important. And maybe a few other cool cats. And that's all that matters.

Pumping Iron.

It was my biggest inspiration to start bodybuilding and enter two competitions. I was the fat kid is high-school. I completely turned my life around.

Kevin

I have had many books and movies that have helped shape my personality, but it would be hard to pinpoint anything specific. Usually I get briefly inspired (Into the Wild, Ikiru) then the emotion fades. If that emotion leaves a mark, and I make life decisions based on it, mapping that process would be beyond me.

I will say that when the SW DVDs came out, I was so pissed I thought "I'll just make my own super-awesome sci-fi story that I can geek out over!!!" That would have changed my life for sure. But sure is harder than it looks :lol Hats off to you, George ;)

The Goonies
&
Short Circuit

Ok, both movies were filmed in Astoria. But it was inventing stuff, robotics, electronics, that made me go to school and get a diploma in Electronics Engineering Technology. I still haven't been able to get a hold of a trench coat like Data's though.:cool

Well seeing that I'm only 17. My life hasn't had enough time for films to affect it much. But.

Star Wars- It made me a geek, prop lover, costumer, collector, and has inspired me to get into film.

Toy Story- It combined my artistic abilities with my love for films, to inspire me to become an animator as a career goal.

Raiders of the Lost Ark- It created in me a love for the past and history. It made me pick up a whip and learn a skill that is quickly dying. With this skill (whip cracking) I was able to do multiple performances that put me on radio, and in newspapers.

Ace Ventura- Made me a comedian, and a lover of all things funny.

Movies, not that I can think of other than to briefly inspire. TV, a bit, yes.

A few that have given me a nudge or two...

Bugs Bunny - sardonic humor
Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith Show - fatherly ideals
Star Trek - imagination
How the Grinch Stole Christmas - redemption

Now, how these shaped my future I couldn't specify, but in shaping who I am you get the gist.

Doug

Aliens.

Made a lot of very good friends through shared fandom of that film, especially in the last 5 years. :)

Bad Taste - Made me realise that special effects didn't NEED a big studio to create.
Home-made can look just as good.

Wow, where to begin... I can't think of any direct influences like SSgtBurton or the OP, but there are definitely influences that have shaped my interests.

• Indiana Jones is a huge one because it sparked a love of history and learning, as well as Ancient Egypt (looking back, I think that the Well of Souls was a HUGE influence considering I was only about 5 when I saw it in theaters).
  • The X-men taught me that doing the right thing isn't always easy... they were hated and feared by the people they sought to protect, but they kept on fighting the good fight. Also, later on, I understood that the most interesting villains rarely thing of themselves that way.
  • Star Wars and Buck Rogers showed me that girls can be both tough and feminine at the same time.
I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that I can think of just off the top of my head.

Now if we were to talk about television... Star Trek (the various series and movies) definitely shaped who I am today in many, many ways. But while it gave me a lot of different interests, the thing I took from it the most was my morality (because I can guarantee that I didn't take most of it from my parents).

I think what Star Wars gave me was more of a fascination with spirituality… the possibilities of what lay beyond known science… and the battle between good and evil.

And the Exorcist taught me that a little girl’s head can turn around a 180 degrees without breaking.

Too many to list definitively. Off the top:

Mary Poppins. Visual metaphor. Broken family, broken kite. Fix family, fix kite.
Chaplin's The Kid. Timeless pathos. A father's love. A son's outreached hand.
The Dark Knight. Structural precision. Narrative balance. Order and chaos.
Ghostbusters. Ensemble arcs. Comedic archetypes. Conceptual authenticity.
The Matrix Trilogy. Thematic depth. Choice and choicelessness. Free Will and Fate, reconciled.

Last edited:
James Bond has helped me rationalize that having indiscriminate unprotected sex with mulitple random girls, drinking gallons of hard alcohol, and driving my car like a frickin' maniac will keep me young, healthy, and popular for years to come...

James Bond has helped me rationalize that having indiscriminate unprotected sex with mulitple random girls, drinking gallons of hard alcohol, and driving my car like a frickin' maniac will keep me young, healthy, and popular for years to come...

and somehow over the years you change appearances.

I was going to say Star Wars.

But after a quick life evaluation...

Let's see...

I drink too much.

Woke up in a girls bed that I prob shouldn't have. (May God strike me down if I'm lying but she randomly called me 007)

Drive a car beyond my means with a 6 liter V8 and is about 1 1/2" off the ground. (OK so Bond would never drive a Vette... I'm american! :angel )

To top it off I wear a Rolex.

I'm 34. Have no "real" job and hang out with celebrities and rock stars...

So I'm gonna say... BOND! :cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back