Movies that actually shaped your future?

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison

Sands of Iwo Jima

The D.I.

I saw these movies as a kid in the 60s. I joined the USMC in 1978, stayed for 23 years. My knees/feet made me retire. I still miss it!

Hmmm.....

Star trek for my sense of duty and for wanting to better myself.

The Crow just because of the killer soundtrack and the main reason why i have long hair

Thers probably a billion more......

Love this thread.

Back to the future; taught me the power of love.

Oh and more seriously Star Wars 4-6, All the Star Trek movies; fueled my imagination and optimism and gave me a faith in science and the pursuit of knowledge.

I'm currently in my third year of seven studying medicine. One day we won't have to say goodbye to those we love.

Star Wars: ANH - I vividly remember standing in line for an hour, staring, mesmerized, at the poster for this film. I was 8 years old, & that movie was THE most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

Blade Runner - This movie counted as the first time I'd ever had my "mind blown" by a movie. At the time, it had an almost totally unique look/feel; there were no other films like it (which doesn't much happen anymore). I've seen it so many times, that I cannot imagine [my] life without it.

For both of these movies, I associate a line of dialogue from the film: "Fallen":

"There are moments which mark your life. Moments when you realize that nothing will ever be the same; & TIME - - - is DIVIDED - - - into two parts: 'before this' & 'after this'..."

STAR WARS ANH
It didn't start my love of sci-fi, but it did take it to a whole new level. It started my love and appreciation of props and collecting. It changed who I mainly hung out with among my friends and even who I dated. Also part of the reason I stayed in college.

Pretty much everything I watched before the age of 5 shaped who I am.

Star Wars, Indy, and the Goonies were the big ones.

The Forbidden Planet, it opened my eyes to what could be done on the big screen, and while dated is still worth a watch.
First saw it in the 60's and it left a BIG impression, which has lasted 40+ years

I would have to say Star Wars as well. It really sets up good and evil in way that I could understand as a kid and even now today.

Cool Hand Luke always made me think deeply about what it means to be yourself and never give up.

I guess I could say part of my interest in scale modeling is from Star Wars, but I'm going to say Carrie Fisher is partly why I like good looking brunette girls. I've probably dated more of them than models I've actually completed. :lol

The Big Lebowski. Because it...uhhh...y'know...I mean, it really...it was really...uhhh...what were we talking about?

But seriously...
I think what Star Wars gave me was more of a fascination with spirituality…
I'd have to go with this as well. Actually, for me it began five years earlier when the pilot movie for Kung Fu first aired on television in 1972. It made me realize there was more true wisdom available than the narrow-minded religious dogma that had been forced down my throat while I was growing up.

The Big Lebowski. Because it...uhhh...y'know...I mean, it really...it was really...uhhh...what were we talking about?

But seriously...
I'd have to go with this as well. Actually, for me it began five years earlier when the pilot movie for Kung Fu first aired on television in 1972. It made me realize there was more true wisdom available than the narrow-minded religious dogma that had been forced down my throat while I was growing up.
"Yeah, well - - - y'know, that's just, like - - - uhh - - - your OPINION, man..."

Not sure about "shaped" but I related to this film as a kid soooo much and when I watched it later as an adult found the character and I were alike in many ways. The World According to Garp.
My wife hasn't bitten someone's hi-ho off in a Buick -- but there's still plenty of time.

Pete's Dragon and Godzilla made me want to make movies and Def Leppard's Photograph video put me in long hair and singing in a rock band from age 16 till 20.

I too would have to go with the original Star Wars. Being "the" creative one in school, it gave me the opportunity to earn my first money on my own by scratch building model tie fighters and x-wing fighters! I'd also read and re-read the comic book adaptation of the movie, and this in turn led to me refining my artistic skills and eventually landing a short career in comic books. This firmly brandished me for decades as the creative go-to guy for all sorts of interesting and odd projects. Not all of that has turned out positively, but influence is influence!:unsure

I know a guy who still has his scratch-built tie fighter from school. I'll have to hunt him down and get pics of it: it may be one of the first ones of its kind ever made, now that I think about it! Probably looks like crap!:lol

The Thing. Taught me that no one is to be trusted.

Blade Runner. Taught me that smoke, rain, and neon makes everything way cooler.

Cowboy Bebop (anime series, not a movie, but I'm counting it). Sparked my interest in jazz music, martial arts, and staying in shape.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back