Movie-Version Mystique build **New completed pics added!**

Re: Movie-Version Mystique build

:eek

Words fail me. Stellar job on that. No wonder you couldn't get a few feet without a photo op, and you deserved every single one. *applauds*

Did you set up templates to figure out where/how you wanted your scales to be applied ahead of time? I think your results turned out phenomenal!!

I've done quite a bit of SFX makeup work, but the shaving gel to remove PAX is new to me... thanks for the awesome tip! I can only imagine how hard it would have been to get that all off when the night was over. Did Hellboy one year for Halloween and I'm pretty sure I had red paint stuck in places I didn't know existed still the next day. :p

Banner, I didn't use templates - I just figured out where I wanted all the different prosthetics and made a rough layout of how they should be shaped/sized based on just measuring myself with a measuring tape:

Sketch.jpg

It was tricky getting everything right without being able to put them in place first but it worked out pretty well - I tried to err on the side of too large, so a few pieces ended up getting trimmed once I'd peeled them up but that was no big deal at all.

Your Hellboy was awesome!!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention what I figured out for my feet! The solution to everything: duct tape! I slapped four or five layers on the bottoms of my feet and trimmed it so you couldn't see it from above at all. Lasted all day and walked around dirty/cold streets with no problems whatsoever. Great solution for barefoot cosplay characters!

Lol thanks Red, I was wondering how you did it. If I ever do a hulk costume I will use your technique:)

Nice trick with the tape, is there anything it can't solve? :lol

Great job on the costume, probably the best Mystique I've seen.

That is the greatest Mystique costume I've ever seen. It seriously looks like you walked right off the set of one of the films.

Banner, I didn't use templates - I just figured out where I wanted all the different prosthetics and made a rough layout of how they should be shaped/sized based on just measuring myself with a measuring tape:

It was tricky getting everything right without being able to put them in place first but it worked out pretty well - I tried to err on the side of too large, so a few pieces ended up getting trimmed once I'd peeled them up but that was no big deal at all.

Your Hellboy was awesome!!!!

Considering you had to trim some of the pieces, your edges in the pictures look really good! Getting colors just right is always hard (at least for me) when you're using a lot of PAX paint... all that powder really mutes down the tone, but yours turned out great!

I don't know if your yellow contacts were like mine I used for Hellboy (originally bought them for a Darth Maul makeup) but EVERYTHING is yellow... good way to simulate a hangover I guess without actually having one. :sick

Really want to get back into doing makeup after seeing all your (and others here on the site) great work from this Halloween!

Last edited:

The outcome is way too amazing & I must say thanks so much for the details

Nothing planned at the moment but your guide & costume will be golden references for help

Getting colors just right is always hard (at least for me) when you're using a lot of PAX paint... all that powder really mutes down the tone, but yours turned out great!

One thing I really liked about the PAX is that I was able to paint the prosthetics and my skin with the exact same paint, so it made color matching so much easier than if I'd used like acrylic on the prosthetics and a separate body paint on my skin.

The powder does mute everything - I found that powdering the heck out of everything and then once it's fully dry patting it with a damp cloth and then immediately spraying it with hairspray helps bring back some of the color and still stay not too sticky. I wish I'd had more time to clean up the powder, I can still see it in some places, but we're always overly critical of our own work, aren't we? :)

Also I don't know what kind of powder you normally use but I found that regular ol' cornstarch worked wonderfully and it's super cheap - also since you inevitably end up breathing in a ton of it it's probably better than whatever chemicals they put in some of the commercial stuff!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back