Movie/TV properties that have been ignored for merchandising

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been watching Babylon 5 again the last couple weekends so my nephew could watch it for the first time. This show has been one of the most ignored shows for merchandising. There should be a lot of collectibles and video games for this show. Am I alone in thinking this? What other shows or movies can you think of that were seemingly ignored? Oh, as far as games I would put BSG in there too.

Greatest American Hero, it was fairly big but got nothing and it would have done well with action figures and an atari game. Cloak & Dagger, Bladerunner (there's an atari sign in the movie), the Last Starfighter. Then again after the ET game maybe everyone was skittish lol.

I would pay hundreds for a screen-accurate dancing baby Groot that stops dancing if I look directly at it.

The 5th Element.

Prototype action figures were made and displayed at a toy show and then...... Nothing.

Corbin, Zorg, Leeloo, I'd like a set of everyone. If only HotToys would make a Leeloo with tiny multipass.

Alot of cult movies were ignored when they first came out but with the long term durability of these movies some are getting much needed love now. The Princess Bride, 5th Element, Big Trouble in Little China all have new figures that came out recently or were just shown at NY Toy Fair. Heck, even Firefly is getting new 6" Legacy figures! Babylon 5 did get a full line of 5 inch figures and 9 inch figures when the show was airing. There were also micro machines of the starships and the station. So it did OK in the toy world.

I wish SyFy would pick it up and re-air episodes! Even better if someone dived into updating the VFX like they did for classics and Next Gen Trek. That is the only part of B5 that looks a little dated now.

I have been watching Babylon 5 again the last couple weekends so my nephew could watch it for the first time. This show has been one of the most ignored shows for merchandising. There should be a lot of collectibles and video games for this show. Am I alone in thinking this? What other shows or movies can you think of that were seemingly ignored? Oh, as far as games I would put BSG in there too.

There are a lot of collectibles for this show. They had models of the Starfury and the station. They had a whole line of 6-inch action figures which included two versions of some characters (they also had a line that had 10 inch dolls), they had novels (which included adaptations of a couple of the TV movies and a behind the scenes book), B5 magazines, several comic books from DC Comics (which the series creator co-written and took place in between certain stories in the show. There's even one that tells the story of Babylon 4 after Sinclair took it back into the past called "In Valen's Name"), a set of roleplaying games (including table top game that had miniatures), patches a collectable card game, trading cards, a CD-ROM Entertainment Utility for the PC (which included a screensaver, video clips, sounds and pictures), a handheld LCD game, soundtracks, a "Shadow Wars" Arcade game/Entertain Utility for the PC (not like the one previously mentioned), an official B5 guide Interactive CD-Rom by Sierra Games, a set of board games based in each season (I've only seen one, which is states itself to be the "2258 Edition", which is Season 1, and they also had expansion card packs for the board game as well) and a set of rubber ink stamps. I think I recall seeing a couple of T-shirts, but I can't be sure. And that's all from what I can recall seeing off the top of my head. Oh, yeah, and most recently, I stumbled across a set of books from the series creator about B5, including some volumed collections of the scripts, that he put out via CafePress: http://www.cafepress.com/b5books

So, with that in mind, I have to ask, when you say "ignored for merchandising", do you mean completely ignored (as in not getting anything), somewhat ignored (like some items, but not enough) or had a lot of stuff released then, but nothing recent years (like B5 appears to be)?

But to answer your question, I know I'm about to get some flack for this, but Defiance is one that's currently not getting much by means of merchandise. I mean, yes, there's the Collector's Edition of the game that came with a statue of a Hellbug and an art book, as well as the score for the first season and the game on CD, but that's all there is. I mean, come on, why not action figures of the characters from the show and the game?

Greatest American Hero, it was fairly big but got nothing and it would have done well with action figures and an atari game.

I remember an episode of Toy Hunter where it turned out that Mego was going to release a Greatest American Hero action figure, but it never came to be. The closest to one being made was a prototype, which now resides in someone's private collection.

Last edited:
I remember an episode of Toy Hunter where it turned out that Mego was going to release a Greatest American Hero action figure, but it never came to be. The closest to one being made was a prototype, which now resides in someone's private collection.

Mego actually did produce a 3 3/4" set of Ralph, and Bill in Pam's VW Bug.

There were prototypes of the 8" versions produced;
http://www.megomuseum.com/teevee/greatestamericanhero.html

There was also a Mego styled GAH produced in 2007 by the FX Convention, with only 500 made. I'm lucky enough to have one.

http://museummego.blogspot.com/2007/01/greatest-american-hero-reminder.html

I know QMx has the license for nuBSG and Firefly, however they make trinkets and such, most of which I have no interest in.

There are a lot of collectibles for this show. They had models of the Starfury and the station. They had a whole line of 6-inch action figures which included two versions of some characters (they also had a line that had 10 inch dolls), they had novels (which included adaptations of a couple of the TV movies and a behind the scenes book), B5 magazines, several comic books from DC Comics (which the series creator co-written and took place in between certain stories in the show. There's even one that tells the story of Babylon 4 after Sinclair took it back into the past called "In Valen's Name"), a set of roleplaying games (including table top game that had miniatures), patches a collectable card game, trading cards, a CD-ROM Entertainment Utility for the PC (which included a screensaver, video clips, sounds and pictures), a handheld LCD game, soundtracks, a "Shadow Wars" Arcade game/Entertain Utility for the PC (not like the one previously mentioned), an official B5 guide Interactive CD-Rom by Sierra Games, a set of board games based in each season (I've only seen one, which is states itself to be the "2258 Edition", which is Season 1, and they also had expansion card packs for the board game as well) and a set of rubber ink stamps. I think I recall seeing a couple of T-shirts, but I can't be sure. And that's all from what I can recall seeing off the top of my head. Oh, yeah, and most recently, I stumbled across a set of books from the series creator about B5, including some volumed collections of the scripts, that he put out via CafePress: http://www.cafepress.com/b5books

I know about those, I should have said, has been ignored since the show aired. I have read the series on the Technomages and then the three Centauri series books and those were both really good.

I wish SyFy would pick it up and re-air episodes! Even better if someone dived into updating the VFX like they did for classics and Next Gen Trek. That is the only part of B5 that looks a little dated now.

I think SyFy has disavowed actual scifi for some reason. I think the CGI still looks decent, but yeah it's dated. My nephew, who is 11, said "What year is this from?" when he saw the pilot. :lol

There was also a comic book series that followed up the events of the film. Basically, after the command deck crashed at the convention, the U.S. Government came in and took it, and Jason Nesmith is ticked off because they took his ship. But it turns out the Government took the command deck and created a whole new Galaxy Quest, and the cast of the show are brought in to help with launching it (I only flipped through one issue, so I can't be sure how much of the story is correct or what happens after that).

And there's also the novelization of the film.

I know about those, I should have said, has been ignored since the show aired. I have read the series on the Technomages and then the three Centauri series books and those were both really good.

I think you're a bit right on that. But I think the reason why is because there isn't much anything new for B5 except the upcoming film reboot that was talked about a while ago and the fan base appears to have gone dormant after the series conclusion. Star Wars and Star Trek had a really active fan base for years. I think B5's fan base appears dormant (much like Farscape's fan base), hence the reason for the lack of new items out . And not to mention, after B5 went off the air, there wasn't much following that except Crusade and The Legend of the Rangers, both which didn't get very far. I mean, it appeared as if when B5 ended, the fans moved on, thus no potential customers to purchase new B5 items (even more so since the spin-offs didn't have a fan base). I've got a feeling that when the B5 movie reboot happens, they'll be a boom in merchandising that tie-in to the new movies (as an increase in pricing in all previous merchandise B5 related).

Last edited:
Was there ever Galaxy Quest merchandise?

I always assumed that there was no merchandise for it for kind of the same reason there was no Spaceballs merchandise. I mean it was such a blatant Star Trek parody, surely the Gods of Trek had to give approval.

The Hobbit: "The Battle of the Five Armies" had no action figures, no ring replicas. etc
Star Trek: Into Darkness had no action figures, and by now no communicator replica from, lets say QMX
Black Sails

The live action He-Man movie, I think they were planning one but at this point the company making the toys was in such trouble with money.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back