Movie theaters playing older movies

The last two times I saw ET in theaters it was the unaltered version. I doubt they'd ever show the altered version again. Even Spielberg acknowledges it was a mistake.
Really? Bonus then. I was hoping it wasn't the SE version.
As for Raiders, I'm sure it's the color timed version.

Really? Bonus then. I was hoping it wasn't the SE version.
As for Raiders, I'm sure it's the color timed version.
Probably. Honestly though I wouldn't let that dissuade you. The current color timing which is present on the blu ray is definitely more orangish and the blacks are crushed but I would imagine it would look more palatable in a theater. I never got to see Raiders in its original run but I've read that it originally had a slightly warmer push anyway. Definitely not as orange like on the blu ray but slightly warmer than the standard color timing we've always had. Between the two, yeah I'd rather have the previous color timing as well but hey, it's worth putting up with to watch Raiders in the theater again. I got to see the rerelease in IMAX back in 2012 I think it was? It was like watching it for the first time!

Probably. Honestly though I wouldn't let that dissuade you. The current color timing which is present on the blu ray is definitely more orangish and the blacks are crushed but I would imagine it would look more palatable in a theater. I never got to see Raiders in its original run but I've read that it originally had a slightly warmer push anyway. Definitely not as orange like on the blu ray but slightly warmer than the standard color timing we've always had. Between the two, yeah I'd rather have the previous color timing as well but hey, it's worth putting up with to watch Raiders in the theater again. I got to see the rerelease in IMAX back in 2012 I think it was? It was like watching it for the first time!
I saw Raiders 10 times in the theater so it's sorta ingrained in thee brain. And Yes, they had it slightly warmer, but generally in the desert scenes. Not thru out the film. I remember the desert skies being blue, not a hazy orange. I guess I have an issue with this constant tinkering of old films which I find unnecessary. Fellowship of the Rings, Alien, Blade Runner, SW-SE, and 2001 comes to mind. If I want to experience these films again, I rather remember them as they were. Fortunately, I saw Close Encounters 40th anni in 2017 and it was what I remembered. But recently, they did changes for the 4K UHD release and it looks off. Personally, I haven't seen films in this new 4K format. So, I can't really give an opinion on it. But from the screen caps I've seen of CE3K, it's not the same.

I suppose if I bend my rubber arm, I could see it again. :lol:

I saw Raiders 10 times in the theater so it's sorta ingrained in thee brain. And Yes, they had it slightly warmer, but generally in the desert scenes. Not thru out the film. I remember the desert skies being blue, not a hazy orange. I guess I have an issue with this constant tinkering of old films which I find unnecessary. Fellowship of the Rings, Alien, Blade Runner, SW-SE, and 2001 comes to mind. If I want to experience these films again, I rather remember them as they were. Fortunately, I saw Close Encounters 40th anni in 2017 and it was what I remembered. But recently, they did changes for the 4K UHD release and it looks off. Personally, I haven't seen films in this new 4K format. So, I can't really give an opinion on it. But from the screen caps I've seen of CE3K, it's not the same.

I suppose if I bend my rubber arm, I could see it again. :lol:
Ah I envy you that you got to watch Raiders back in the day!!! And I totally understand where you're coming from (I should've guessed by your forum handle haha). I would want to remember them as they were too. That's why I skipped the Batman 89 rerelease last year. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that remaster. It's a blue nightmare. Even the sound effects were redone. So no, I don't blame you one bit. I don't get this craze at all with the digital tinkering.

Could've been worse than color timing though. He's some insider ILM footage of what else almost got changed in Raiders...

Last edited:
Looks like with the virus blooming up again, the theater close to me is staying closed. Probably best and all, but was looking forward to seeing some of these. Hopefully they will still show them later. Also was going through old pics and found my first day I went to work at the theater. 16 years old, April 1998.

20200701_231320.jpg

20200701_231401.jpg

Ah I envy you that you got to watch Raiders back in the day!!! And I totally understand where you're coming from (I should've guessed by your forum handle haha). I would want to remember them as they were too. That's why I skipped the Batman 89 rerelease last year. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that remaster. It's a blue nightmare. Even the sound effects were redone. So no, I don't blame you one bit. I don't get this craze at all with the digital tinkering.

Could've been worse than color timing though. He's some insider ILM footage of what else almost got changed in Raiders...

:lol: That sums it up.
I actually found Raiders by accident. My folks and I went to see Superman II, but it was sold out. Raiders was in the 2nd theater so we saw that instead. I was so disappointed I couldn't see Superman, but when I saw the names; Lucas, Spielberg and Ford show up in the opening credits. I'm like, where did this come from? And after that, I couldn't stop myself from seeing it.

They mucked up Batman too? :oops: The hell?

Last edited:
Ha, thanks. I surely would not want to wear that again.
Ah, be proud of it. You were a part of movie going history. I volunteered for a small island cinema back in the 80s and it was great. Free popcorn, candy and pop. I was in charge of prepping the films and running the projector. 16mm BTW. No high tech stuff. Got to see films I heard about but never seen; like Rocky Horror and The Gods Must Be Crazy.

Ah, be proud of it. You were a part of movie going history. I volunteered for a small island cinema back in the 80s and it was great. Free popcorn, candy and pop. I was in charge of prepping the films and running the projector. 16mm BTW. No high tech stuff. Got to see films I heard about but never seen; like Rocky Horror and The Gods Must Be Crazy.

I guess this was their attempt to give it a more "modern" look and sound. It's a shame because the image detail is much improved.

Edit: Whoops, meant to quote your other post. Sorry.

Last edited:

I guess this was their attempt to give it a more "modern" look. It's a shame because the image detail is much improved.

Edit: Whoops, meant to quote your other post. Sorry.
BLAH!! :eek: Teak and Orange.
You know, I kinda wonder about that too. Who is authorizing these drastic changes? The director, the studio?

My brother took me to see Raiders when it first came out. I had never heard of it or knew anything about it. Frankly I thought it had to do with Noah's Ark as I had never heard of the Arc of the Covenant before seeing the movie. As you can imagine I was pleasantly surprised with the movie.

Sometimes it makes me wonder--all these classic movies from the 70-early 80s--I saw all of these in the theater. I can't imagine anything else except the fun of me and my friends going to the movie house and seeing them. Sometimes I wonder if my thinking they are great is only sometimes nostalgia.

Is my stuff really good, or is it just because my stuff was my stuff?

Let's face it, most kids today think our movies are kinda lame. They are wrong of course, but I thought my parent's old movies were crap. And, to be honest, I still do.

What does that say?

Sometimes it makes me wonder--all these classic movies from the 70-early 80s--I saw all of these in the theater. I can't imagine anything else except the fun of me and my friends going to the movie house and seeing them. Sometimes I wonder if my thinking they are great is only sometimes nostalgia.

Is my stuff really good, or is it just because my stuff was my stuff?

Let's face it, most kids today think our movies are kinda lame. They are wrong of course, but I thought my parent's old movies were crap. And, to be honest, I still do.

What does that say?
It says to me that you're a lot like kids, only appreciating stuff from your time. There's tons of great movies going back at least to the 30's, I love a lot of it.

For the first few years after my local mall opened they ran classic movies on Saturday mornings. I got to see Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Citizen Kane, Angel and the Bad Man, and scores others on the big screen.

A local movie theater (I think it's a franchise too?) does classic re runs every week of different movies but I'm not sure about now. It was a treat to see the Aliens Special Edition on the big screen.

It says to me that you're a lot like kids, only appreciating stuff from your time. There's tons of great movies going back at least to the 30's, I love a lot of it.

For the first few years after my local mall opened they ran classic movies on Saturday mornings. I got to see Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Citizen Kane, Angel and the Bad Man, and scores others on the big screen.
We didn't have any nearby theaters that played The Classics, but we had one that played double features of old B-movies and Monster flicks from Japan. At .25 a ticket and a chance to win either a COX plane or a new bike between shows, you could see Toho Godzilla and branched off films like Frankenstein vs The Space Monster. We also had a theater that played classic Disney films, ie) Lady of the Tramp, Fantasia, Mary Poppins, etc. as well as recent Disney films and others.

But after awhile, one grows out of the 'popcorn films' stage and explores other genres. We've seen some great films from the 30s and the 40s.
The 39 Steps, Dark Victory, Double Indemnity, Dark Passage, and The Dark Corner to name a few. I'll still go back to the 'popcorn films' and enjoy them as much as I did and not get bored of them.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back