Movie Documentaries/Behind the scenes.

ozisa

Was recently watching a ''Jaws'' documentary about the file plus beind the scenes, I may have been living under a rock for a while as I have never seen this, and really enjoyed watching it...about the Shark that apparantly never worked..

anyone else know of some good Movie docos to watch?

Well if you like this sort of thing, do a search for a thread about good DVD commentaries, people had some great suggestions.

I always liked the Indiana Jones' documentaries, they are pretty informative for each of the films. I also liked the BTTF one narrated by Kirk Cameron.

"Hearts of Darkness" (not the Malkovich film).

It is the making of "Apocalypse Now." It is one of the most intimate BTS films I have ever watched. What Coppola, the cast and crew went through to complete "Apocalypse Now" was unbelievable!

For instance Captain Willard's drunken night in the sleazy Saigon hotel was 100% real. No acting. Martin Sheen had been drinking all day until it was time to start filming. Although there was only a couple of minutes of Sheen in his drunken, chaotic state in the movie, there are several minutes to watch in the documentary. He truly broke the real glass mirror by punching it with his fist.

Even though Coppola yelled "cut!" and asked for a doctor to look at Sheen's hand, Sheen insisted on keeping the cameras rolling. He basically had a nervous breakdown on camera with Coppola egging him on. At one point he looked as if he was about to lunge at the cameraman! :eek

Definitely put this on your "must watch" list!

Kevin

Last edited:

It is the making of "Apocalypse Now." It is one of the most intimate BTS films I have ever watched. What Copella, the cast and crew went through to complete "Apocalypse Now" was unbelievable!

For instance Captain Willard's drunken night in the sleazy Saigon hotel was 100% real. No acting. Martin Sheen had been drinking all day until it was time to start filming. Although there was only a couple of minutes of Sheen in his drunken, chaotic state in the movie, there are several minutes to watch in the documentary. He truly broke the real glass mirror by punching it with his fist.

Even though Copella yelled "cut!" and asked for a doctor to look at Sheen's hand, Sheen insisted on keeping the cameras rolling. He basically had a nervous breakdown on camera with Copella egging him on. At one point he looked as if he was about to lunge at the cameraman! :eek

Definitely put this on your "must watch" list!

Kevin

NICE!, will be looking for this then!

There is one included on the copy of Logan's run I have. It apparently was a short documentary shown in theaters at the time, i've seen others like it on TMC, and was way better than any short preview on selling a movie. It seems that back then even the normal previews before a film were better made.

It is the making of "Apocalypse Now." It is one of the most intimate BTS films I have ever watched. What Coppola, the cast and crew went through to complete "Apocalypse Now" was unbelievable!
+1!!!

Hearts of Darkness - A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (which is the full title) is quite possibly the best, most interesting, and most fascinating behind-the-scenes documentary I've ever seen. After viewing it, you come away wondering how Apocalypse Now was ever completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love extras on DVDs/Blu-Rays. Some of my favourites are:

Superman The Movie
The Magnificent Seven
Indiana Jones DVD boxed set

I find the Star Wars ones are a bit hard to navigate, especially on the Blu-Ray but very insightful.

I like some commentaries too. Strangely, one of the most entertaining (and don't shoot me for this, guys) is Pretty Woman!

Chris.

I've been collecting movie documentaries since 1977. If there was a documentary or a behind the scenes video done on a sci fi or action movie, I've pretty much got it somewhere.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back