Movie accurate Green Goblin Helmet paint

johnnyhungus

I will be getting a Raimi Green Goblin helmet soon and am in need of some help sourcing the right paint for the job. Can anybody point me in the direction of the colour-shifting paint that is as close as possible to the movie version please?

Would the paint need a black base coat?

I live in the UK and would prefer to be able to use spray cans.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure of the actual paint that was used in the movie. There is a user on here by the name of GF who was actually able to paint his Gobby helmet with the exact paint used, but he didn't tell anyone an exact brand name. All he said was that he used a color shifting paint.... lol

GF also stated that he didn't use a black base coat, but he did use a metallic silver base coat instead which helped him achieve his results and they are 100% accurate to the movie.

I myself am currently in the process of figuring out how to make the full body suit and will eventually do the helmet as well. I would love to know the movie paint too.

This is the closest I could find to the paint so far: Purple to Green - Color Shifting Pearl Special Effect, 2 oz

Hi and thanks for your reply. I had read one of his threads (he may have more?) and you are correct, he does not state the paint he used, or (in the thread I saw) he didn't say the base colour he used.

After doing a little research, the paint suppliers I have seen on eBay have all said that it is a black base needed to achieve the desired finish.

May have to buy some paint in and do a bit of testing...

If you come across a rattle can version of colour shift paint I'd be interested in knowing the details as I've never come across them myself and it's the most common question I get when people inquire about the GG helmets @theportugeek and I make. I always refer them to @el_fett to get the paint job done :)

If you come across a rattle can version of colour shift paint I'd be interested in knowing the details as I've never come across them myself and it's the most common question I get when people inquire about the GG helmets @theportugeek and I make. I always refer them to @el_fett to get the paint job done :)
Do you know of the exact brand name of the paint that’s used?

I’ve been looking at the line of colourshift paints that DNA paints makes and see promise in the mint/choc(peppermint) colour which is quite close and with experiments with basecoats and clears I think it might be worth it.

I have been trying to get ahold of my local paint shop but haven’t got a quote yet but the Australian website said It’s around 40aud for one 300g aerosol can

Also looking at how I could do a custom mix of the cheap colourshift pigments to achieve the correct colour

Imgur link

Last edited:
Spaz Stix makes a rattle can version of their green/purple/teal color shift paint. Never tested but I know some people use the airbrush version for goblin helmets.

Seems to be a bit of an ongoing experiment.

I am not sure why the paint that was/is being used is such a secret? Any knowledge I have would be shared with the community. I personally don't have an issue with that "knowledge is power" thing that some people have.

I will be doing some tests and sharing the results for sure.

Will let you know as soon as the helmet you shipped arrives! ;)

Hello Everyone,

I've been receiving a few Pm's regarding the paint process and just noticed this thread, wow!!! its been a while, the paint I used I believe was made by BASF I dont remember the code it was aquired threw a automotive paintshop they put the mix in a small jar so i dont have the actual bottle, i remebr it was very expensive, enough paint just for the helmet was almost $300 and I got a good price because my brother in law worked there as a painter, I used a touch up automotive spray gun, a model airbrush was too small for this project, it was airbrushed over a silver base not black, I tried black as some had suggested but didnt work well way too dark, silver gave me the accurate results, this is a very translucent paint and required at least 10 coats, the first 4-5 coats you dont see anything its like your airbrushing a tinted clear coat but as you apply you start seeing the green/purple effect colors, once dry I airbrushed whole helmet using Varathane acryclic satin finish the same stuff they use on wood floors and furniture, this gave me the proper satin finish I was looking for and I tried many but most didnt give me a true satin finish. Hope this helps, if i come accross paint code I will post for sure but i know it was a out of the bottle paint not a custom mix. You can see my original thread and photos of my helmet here:
GFollano

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back