Move style Clone belt build

Spirit Juggler

Some people might have seen this belt build on Galactic Knights or Rebel Legion UK forums but I thought I'd share it here as well.

This is a wip thread for my Sar Wars Clone trooper belt build.

Money was tight when I made this and I couldn't afford to go for the likes of a steel blitz belt so if you're on a budget this might be just the thing for you, and I know of at least a couple of others who have used this wip to make their own as well.

Last edited:
Then heat gun it into the a circular shape. I did this around my armour to get the shape I needed. You need to be a little careful so as not to over heat the foamex.

Once the shape has started to come together I started to trim it down so the the excess wasn't weighing the belt itself out of shape as it's heated. I trimmed it several times as I didn't want to take too much off and make it too short.

I've got the overlap so that it's at the back of the armour and for the moment it's fastened with industrial strength velcro. This will probably be supplemented later by a butterfly screw once I have the Thermal detonator in place.

And here's the belt around the armour.

My plan is to use more of the foamex and cut out the shaped squares and lines and detailing on the belt and attach it to the front to give depth and detailing to the belt. This along with the belt boxes and thermal det that will be added will I hope be enough to make the belt look good.

OK. The gap at the front of the belt between the two front most belt boxes is 9 inches. These measurements were taken from a steelblitz belt as a guide to dimensions.

So measure a strip 9 inches by the width of the belt. In my case 7.5cm

and cut

and check

On this front section on the steel blitz belt which is what I've measured this belt to there are five sections. 3 indented sections and 2 that are slightly oversized to the rest of the belt. I measured out a template on the strip.

and cut out the 3 indented sections

At this point though no photo's *sorry* I cut out tiny little strips to glue underneath the underneath part of the longer strips so that they appear to be the same depth as the whole strip, *I hope that makes sense* and don't look so much like they're just stuck on top of the strip as a whole. This serves to just fill out the overall look.

And the try on. It does of course need weathering and belt boxes but what do you think? By this point I was starting to be overly critical of myself

These were the first belt boxes I had. These were built using pep files and hardened using jesmonite and were done for me by another RPF member, Sorry Craig, no idea what your RPF name is :). Craig can give you the particulars about that but I believe that several layers of jesmonite were needed. It's pretty tough stuff but with a bit of flex to it. I've since replaced these boxes with sintra built belt boxes which are much much sturdier and don't squish as easily.

The first thing I did was to sand the boxes down and get a smoother finish. That done I then spray painted them the same mat white as the rest of the clone. Then, using velcro I attached them to the belt.

The Thermal detonator 17cm long is actually made out of sintra/Foamex as my local hardware store didn't have any piping thick enough for the job. When the boxes came there was only one detonator end so the second one is also made from sintra using the pep one as a model. Essentially I cut two discs the same size the cut the center out of one to create the top rim effect and glued them together. Then heat gunning a strip of sintra and molding it around the already molded detonator piping got a nice tight fit and glued that underneath the two disc creating the second cap.

Belt boxes attached to the belt

The Thermal detonator is attached at one end by velcro but at the other end I've put a bold through the belt to give a bit more strength and hold the detonator in place.

The last thing to do was weather it all using charcoal. This gave the final finished effect and hides most of the blemishes and makes it all look intentional.

The finished look

It's a bit rough and ready but for people on a budget it may well be the best way to go untill they can afford a better alternative.

This does however conclude the main build of my clone belt.

The next bit is going to cover the thermal detonator as I did a little extra bit on it last night and took plenty of photo's.

This is *hopefully* the end result.

I cut a rectangle of sintra 17.5cm long and wide enough that I can cut it down to a suitably sized pipe shape. Then I heat gunned the sintra to make it nice and soft so that I could mould it into the pipe shape you see in the photo. It's not quite as wide as belt. Another way to do this would be to simply find a piece of pipe in a hardware store. I couldn't find said piece so I scratch built it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back