Mounting system for Rubies Vader helmet

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
Looking for some suggestions as to how to go about putting a secure mounting system in my modded Rubies Vader helmet.

The helmet in stock form uses velcro and I dont like it. Right now I have craft foam put around the mounting ring in the dome but the dome wiggles a lot and doesnt stay put.

Please, any suggestions would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of people here who have done their own helmets.... someone out there can help me. :(

Pics if possible would also be great.

I'm pretty sure this was covered in the "Darth Vader Supreme Costume" thread over at the TF.N. If I remeber correctly someone even posted a diagram of how to do it. The way they did of course, using foam or something. Go have a look if you haven't already.

I skimmed through that thread, there is like 84 pages. I couldn't find it. Do you know what pages it is on?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for sharing.

This is where I got my original idea. I find the dome wiggles too much but maybe I am not using enough foam or something because others here have had success with that method. Maybe Ill try it again with a little thicker foam or something.

Any other suggestions?

Have your tryed Really powerful magnets?, i haven't try this yet thow i will in the future i'm taking my time turning a rubies in to a reveled helmet i think the way to go to get the dome to stay in place is some strong magnets.
Or you could put a neckbrace on your rubies that should hold it still.

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Mar 6 2006, 11:01 AM
Have your tryed Really powerful magnets?, i haven't try this yet thow i will in the future i'm taking my time turning a rubies in to a reveled helmet i think the way to go to get the dome to stay in place is some strong magnets.
[snapback]1199830[/snapback]​

I already have a neckbrace on my Rubies. The issue I am having is securing the dome to the mask. I may yet try magnets. Any ideas on where I could get some powerful ones?

<div class='quotetop'>(DarthKahnt @ Mar 7 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]1199944[/snapback]</div>
<div align="right">[snapback]1199830[/snapback]

I already have a neckbrace on my Rubies. The issue I am having is securing the dome to the mask. I may yet try magnets. Any ideas on where I could get some powerful ones?
[/b][/quote]

Any new updates on this? Has anyone found the perfect method to secure the mounting system on the Rubies Supreme helmet?

<div class='quotetop'>(kalkamel @ May 26 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]1250988[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(DarthKahnt @ Mar 7 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]1199944[/snapback]
<div align="right">[snapback]1199830[/snapback]

[/b][/quote]

Any new updates on this? Has anyone found the perfect method to secure the mounting system on the Rubies Supreme helmet?
[/b][/quote]

I have found the craft foam method to work pretty well. I added a little more after revisiting this method and it works wel. I use velcro on thre front of the dome to secure it to the mask.

Here are the pics I promised. The piece of velcro on the front of the dome connect to a mounted piece of velcro on the mask, preventing the mask from hitting the dome. Works well for me. The foam lining on the inside of the dome attachments creates a pretty solid bond:

I applied warm (modable-state) Instamorph around the perimeter of the top of the face mask connector with some overlap. I slowly pulled the dome in place and stopped when I reached the desired position and held it still in place for a few minutes while the instamorph cooled and hardened. The overlap allows the instamorph to fill the gaps of the original mount so the helmet stays in place.

IMG_4808_zps7043d558.jpg

IMG_4807_zps64ce69a5.jpg

IMG_4887_zps66e4c767.jpg

IMG_4889_zpse07cad95.jpg

IMG_4890_zps1e1d6a7a.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back