Moulding Mandibles

Double H

Sr Member
Hello fellow hunters,

Looking into sculpting and moulding my own mask so I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I start. I understand how to sculpt and make mould of the mask and removing the lower mandibles and moulding them separately. My question is how do would you go about moulding the mandibles?

Is it done the same way as the main mask - 2 part mould or is it done differently?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Double H

It really depends on whether you want to make them from latex or resin, if you want to make them in latex, then yes, same way as the mask but if you want to make them from resin, as some do, you can make a one peice silicone mould, you would need a nice soft stretchy silicone like mouldlifes Gel10 otherwise it's hard to get the peice out when it's cured. One of the benifits of doing it this way is you dont have any visable seams to get rid of like you will with the latex ones.

It really depends on whether you want to make them from latex or resin, if you want to make them in latex, then yes, same way as the mask but if you want to make them from resin, as some do, you can make a one peice silicone mould, you would need a nice soft stretchy silicone like mouldlifes Gel10 otherwise it's hard to get the peice out when it's cured. One of the benifits of doing it this way is you dont have any visable seams to get rid of like you will with the latex ones.

Which is better?

Latex would be hollow and resin would be solid - but wouldn't this make the resin one heavy and distort the mask?

If using resin, do you make the latex on the mask thicker to counter act this?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to understand this before I start.

There is no "better" really as they both have pros and cons.......the resin ones arn't heavy enough to distort the mask unless you make it wafer/rizla/grusderk thin lol..........for experience, you could alays do both. I made a couple of sets of latex mandibles for my closed mouth and about 3 different styles of teeth for variation. I also foam fill my latex mandibles to stop them distorting as they cure or if they get squashed.
I moulded my open mouth with lower mandibles atatched and I made resin lower mandibles for my closed mouth kids mask.
What do you plan on making your teeth out of?

I make my teeth from resin.....the reason I asked was because if you are going to make your teeth from resin, then you will have the materials needed to make the mandibles from resin aswel....and if you make your teeth and lower mandibles first, then you can use them in your sculpt so you will see how it will look when finished AND make the mask a perfect fit for them.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back