MOTU She-ra costume

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Darkbeauty, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

its time to show you all what i ve been working on, since a few months. just love the series and always wanted the costume.

2. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Looks pretty good so far. Oddly enough I barely remembered She-Ra other than a movie where you found out she and He-man were related and the really bad xmas special over the weekend lol. Can't wait to see how it turns out. The sword looks good so far too and that is probably the hardest part to do.

3. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

thanks. I have to admit, a friend of mine made the sword for me. I am good in sewing, thats all ;)

4. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Looking good! I can't wait to see what you come up with for the winged head piece.

5. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Very cool... But I hope you're a female fan, otherwise the costume will look stupid on you... :lol

6. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

lol. yeah I am a female fan :)

well, the headpiece is something I am thinking about most of the time while I am working on the costume. I have a few good ideas.

7. mdb

mdb Sr Member

Yay! So glad to see another She Ra costume (I was popooed for wanting to do this as part of a group costume ;) ) and also so very glad to see you are doing the skirt as a shaped piece.

8. struve1976

struve1976 New Member

Looks great. Well done. I hope when they make the next movie, it does all the characters justice!

9. aradia

aradia Member

Looking good so far, one day I will finish my She Ra I only got as far as the head piece and the sword template before it got shelved for other projects lol! . I used plastic foamboard for it and was going to use elastic around the back to hold it on my head, heres the pics of it (but I will be re-painting it as the gold I used was wrong) :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. aradia

aradia Member

Didn't havr a good one of it painted in the end so put up the unpainted ones :)

11. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

Good start. I like that you're using a corset for the top. Are you going to make the gold details at the top of the corset?
    @aradia - That looks like a good way to start the headpiece. I hope you'll someday work on it again and post more pics. Maybe it will at least help Darkbeauty with hers.
    A cosplay friend of mine did a really nice She Ra costume. If you want, I'll send you links to hers. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

12. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Oh HELL yeah. Are you gonna go with the classic Filmation look? (I mean as opposed to say the Four Horsemen's 2003 figure or whatever.) Can't wait to see more!

13. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

@ aradia - the head piece looks great for the first try.

@ Bizarro - sure send me the link of your friends she-ra costume. No, I dont want to make the gold flower at the corsett. I am thinking about to at the flower to a several piece of faux leather. I want to cover the front of the corsett. I am not happy with the idea that you can see where to open the corsett.

@ caymen - No not really. I like the filmation look but its a bit too simple. she is a warrior and in my mind she is a kind of valkyrie. so I will bring these two ideas together.

I added a few new pics of the costume.
    Ckued some gems at the belt and the choker.
    My idea of the winked head piece is 3D model as you can see. I just created a pattern for it and that is just the first try to see if it works.

14. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I agree :thumbsup

15. Labrynth

Labrynth Member

Sweet! I always wanted to do a She Ra group :)

16. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

17. aradia

aradia Member

@ Darkbeauty and Bizarro Lois thanks I was pleased with how it turned out for my first attempt :) And I love your head piece!

@ Bizarro Lois thats a great link your friend did a great job there :D

@ Labrynth a she ra group would be awesome!!! all the costumes were great from she ra :)

18. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

thanks for the link. I know the pics. found them while I was searching for some reference pics. :thumbsup she did a great job!

19. timelordd

timelordd Active Member

Looks great any more pics to come? Btw here is my she-ra sword...[​IMG]

20. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

your sword looks great!!!

I am working on the shinguards at the moment, so pix will follow.

21. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

After a longtime without motivation and creativity, I am back on track.
    I dont like the idea that everyone can see that it is a corsett, so I sewed a "cover". Its the same material as the skirt, so you cant see the two different shades of white.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  22. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

Today I had a bit time to create the flower pattern and sew it on the cover.

23. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

That's looking sharp!

24. faille

faille Active Member

This is looking so great! On my wish list is a recreation of the 2002 version (I think that's where I traced this image to at least) that never made it into the He-Man reboot. I love the valkyrie-esque warrior look to it. Seeing how good your version is coming out is very inspiring - looks so much more substantial than the original, maybe she could even fight in it :)

Definitely a good decision to cover the corset with a top layer. The front fleur thingy looks really great - it almost looks quilted on/puffy? What kind of material did you use?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  25. madhellokitty

madhellokitty New Member

wow! amazing work!

26. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

for the fleur I used foam board. I glued the foam board on the faux leather and sewed the fleur on the top layer, very close to the ends of the fleur.

here is another sneak peek of the costume. please ignore the background :)

27. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

Looking good.

28. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

finished the top layer with all the tricky parts today. and yeah I had to pin the red fabric on the mannequin just to see the "result".

29. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

Finished the shin guards today. made of wonderflex. I will paint it the next days and glue the gem on it.

30. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

I finished my she-ra costume, thank god ;)

BhindtheSeams likes this.
  31. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Looks great! Was that at Grayskull Con?

32. faille

faille Active Member

LOVE it!

33. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

yeah that was at grayskull con :)

34. stang wars

stang wars Member

that looks awesome!!! Great work. Hey that beastman looks good too

35. donchewliano

donchewliano New Member

Came out really cool. Great job.

36. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You nailed it ! Outstanding costume, very fantastic.

37. InfiniTTTy

InfiniTTTy New Member

By any chance were you at Pax East in March? There was an amazing She-Ra there.

38. Viscumin

Viscumin New Member

That looks fantastic!

39. pj2040

pj2040 Member

Wow! Amazing! Fantastic! Sensational!!!

Well done! That's a brilliant She-ra!!

Love the Beat-Man too.