Mossberg 500 'Zombie Apocalypse' buildup

Superkrates

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_5886sm.jpg

Hornady has introduced new ammunition into the US market, Zombie Max, and for good reason. I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Georgia (USA) - where they film The Walking Dead - there is a population increase of Zombies!

So far, they're as friendly as can be... not much to look at, but decent chaps to have a drink or get some exercise with (apparently the film company is feeding them very well). That said, I believe in the 'better to have it and not need it...' philosophy, and designed a purpose-built shotgun for a good friend this past holiday season - just in case the Zombie Apocalypse happens.

Build Specs:

Mossberg 500 12ga, 18.5" barrel, 6+1 capacity, marinecote finish
UTG LS268 red laser w/pressure switch activation
TechLite High-Intensity Tactical LED Flashlight(light/bright light/strobe)
P.O.S. stainless steel combat knife ($10)
ATI Tactical buttstock and pistol grip
ATI Sidesaddle shell holder +5
Blackhawk Sling/shell holder +15
Winchester 1" fast-detach swivel sling mounts
ATI barrel heat shield with ghost ring sights (marinecote)
Laserlyte Shotgun Tri-Rail barrel mount
NcStar 30mm low-profile scope rings
Leaping Squirrel custom embroidered foregrip strap
Hornady Zombie Max 12GA 2-3/4" 00buck, 70mm, 690BAR (+5)
Federal 12GA 2-3/4, DOVE#8 (+15)

Photos by Sean McCarthy of Twisted River Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved (so give credit where credit is due when reposting)

IMG_5896sm.jpg

IMG_5902sm.jpg

IMG_5909sm.jpg

Nice baby, I own a 590 which I've equipped with an Aimpoint t1 replica (I know what you're thinking about airsoft crap, but I can assure you it holds the zero even after hundreds of rounds, even a couple dozen Federal 12 magnum powershok!) and an Extrema Ratio Fulcrum Bayonet (Italian made, costs more than the Mossy itself...), unfortunately though the Z-Max ammo is nowhere to be found here in Italy, I wanted a pack for my USP.45 too

Ok, this is now officially the single biggest reason I wish I lived in the states

Yup. Here in Australia, the only people allowed cool weapons are the police, bikie gangs, rival underworld gangs, drug traffickers and insane mass murderers. :confused

LOVE the Z-shot ammo. "Just in case".

This is ideal for home defence.

This looks like a really cool build. I went to sports authority here on Long Island yesterday and they sold out of all short barrel guns. People are really afraid of looters and home invasions recently. The guy told me he personally sold 42 guns in 4 days. He was also sold out of all high brass ammo.
After the whole hype of the storm dies down I plan on building a nice zombie gun like yours.
Goodjob!

That harbor freight survival knife is is a decent buy for $9 I think. That's certainly an interesting use for it. I can't say I ever thought of that. :lol

You could probably stash some cleaning supplies, small parts, or maybe a shell it in the handle couldn't you?

:thumbsup

Nice build

Spotted this at the NRA show in St. Louis this year in the Duracoat booth. one of these days I will get around to building one of these for a the heck of it LOL

Full on 16" AR15 with a Ruger 10/22 action strapped to the front like a grenade launcher, but for solid aluminum tipped crossbow bolts. The line to get a pic with this was deep.

IMG_0807.jpg

I've been toying with the idea of building a tatical "home defense" shotgun, but thought the Kel-tec KSG or Saiga 12 would make a great platform.

I don't like the idea of having to pump my way through a herd of walkers.

Nice build!

However, it would be bad for practical use unless you removed the hunting knife. The shot spread would destroy the knife in no time.

I've been toying with the idea of building a tatical "home defense" shotgun, but thought the Kel-tec KSG or Saiga 12 would make a great platform.

I don't like the idea of having to pump my way through a herd of walkers.

I'd stay away from Kel-Tec since its over priced under produced and mostly plastic. Now the Saiga that is a great gun easy to maintain and plenty of aftermarket parts to go taticrazy with plus the detachable mag's allow for more rounds carried and faster reloads.

Nice build!

However, it would be bad for practical use unless you removed the hunting knife. The shot spread would destroy the knife in no time.

The shot will never come anywhere close to the knife so the knife is fine. The shot stays with the wad for so many feet before the wad drops and the shot starts to spread out.

Been down to the film set, I live in Asheville NC, just over the mountains. I love the signs they have around town saying, "Sorry for the length of the grass here, due to the filming of The Walking Dead, we have not mowed it."

I'd stay away from Kel-Tec since its over priced under produced and mostly plastic. Now the Saiga that is a great gun easy to maintain and plenty of aftermarket parts to go taticrazy with plus the detachable mag's allow for more rounds carried and faster reloads.

I've got the Kel-tec PF9 and P-3AT and I'm pretty happy with both. The lack of availability of the KSG is irritating.

I can get my hands on a modified Saiga with a mild tac setup for about $1k. That might be the way to go.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back