mortifactor's stuff. ESB Trooper Helmet. Trick or Trooping (in the loosest sense)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by mortifactor, Jun 4, 2015.

1. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

Gonna start out with the ESB graflex - I'm sure we already know what one looks like but here you go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From some cursory research (many thanks to the members here!) I believe it to be a smooth pinned Folmer Graflex with patent. I'm not sure if that is the exact version of any particular screen used saber, but I'm very happy with it.

This is actually my second Graflex 3 cell... I bought my first a few days beforehand and am currently waiting on it from the USA! And to think I nearly thought I could do with just the one.. but the marketing men got me at a young age with the Star Wars figures and now I'm throwing money at anything Star Wars shaped.

In fact, as I wrote that previous paragraph the UPS man came with the Denix Mauser I ordered for a DL-44 conversion (I won't be taking outside pictures of that, the neighbours would phone the police!!)

I'm busy with work at the moment but I've been preparing some of roygilsing's lovely parts. I left the screws out in the garden for a week to take the 21st century sheen away (although they perhaps went a bit too far!) and left the t-track in a box of water with some rock dust. The water evaporated and has left a a dusty residue that I will brush off to leave a "used" appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the activation board, I rubbed it down with a shop receipt to leave some feint grey grubbiness conducive with constant contact to the user's hand. Similar to using newsprint to dirty up storm trooper armour. It's quite hard to make out in the sun, but it makes it look pre-owned.

[​IMG]

The one thing that I find can go wrong with weathering is not knowing when to stop. I think I went a bit far with the rub down and it removed a tad too much of the silver. Now the silver is completely gone from the sweat of my thumb pretending to turn the saber on as soon as the postman delivered it. Authentic weathering fail :lol - Got another board ready though and will be sure to put some dullcote or something on to block sweat issues.

Obligatory clip dent

[​IMG]

This was in the garden too and developed some rust where the d-ring links into the clip. I think I'll remove it.

Lingering questions for those who are knowledgeable:

1) I'm terrified of breaking the clamp lever. I have it quite loose at the moment. I take it you tighten it until it grips the tube as the clamp is intended to grip a metal bar that isn't there. What lever position is optimum/safe?

2) This 3 cell is missing the tiny screw on the clamp. Will it fly apart from swishing? Will the forces put undue pressure on the clamp lever? (which is holding the tube together by its tension in lieu of the screw) I've already thought of putting a wooden dowel in the tube and * a replacement screw into the dowel

3) Before I go full ESB on this, is this 3 Cell model (Folmer Graflex with patent and smooth pins) more accurately suited to a different sabre? I enjoy accuracy and can imagine possibly being tempted to remake this in the future if I find out the version is different enough.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: mortifactor's first prop build - Graflex ESB

Congratulations! It looks like the Graflex you got is in awesome shape!

To answer your questions:

The lever can be tightened by turning the threaded pin that goes through the clamp. You need to take it off of the top and bottom tube to do this. Once the clamp is off of the two tubes, squeeze the clamp together with one hand. This frees up the squared end of the threaded pin (the end that the clamp lever is attached to). Once you have the squared end of the pin out of the square hole in the clamp, rotate it (it being the pin and lever) clockwise to tighten the clamp's overall grip. Go one rotation at a time. Be sure to seat the squared end of the pin back into the square hole. Then put one of the tubes back into the clamp. Is it still loose? If so, take the tube back out and repeat the procedure one more turn. I have not had a pin break on me before following this procedure. If it feels like you are about to break the lever or the pin, go back in the opposite direction. Just don't ever force anything when you are handling something this old.

To be screen accurate, with the Flashgun standing upright on its stamped end, the word GRAFLEX on the clamp should also be right side up. With the part of the clamp that attaches to a camera facing toward you, the lever should be on the right side of the clamp, with the free part of the lever pointing down. Basically, the way you have it in your photos is the correct positioning.

If you have the clamp on, and locked (meaning the lever is not pointing straight out) the Graflex should not be able to come apart.

The tiny missing screw that you mention is unnecessary.

I cannot say that this model of Graflex is better suited to any particular screen used saber other than the Luke ESB, as the only screen used verifiable image available of the bottom stamping is in the Wampa Cave Scene on Hoth when Luke uses the force to pick the lightsaber up, free himself, and chop the **** out of that poor hungry Wampa. There is believed to have been several different prop ESB saber's used, pretty much all with different configurations of button, or glass eye, etc. Unless you are specifically going for the Wampa Cave scene Luke ESB saber, this one is basically as good as any other Graflex.

*The Wampa Cave Scene Luke ESB is a Folmer without Patent Number, or as I refer to it, a Folmer New York, as it is the only version made with the state name New York actually spelled out rather than being represented by "N.Y.". In a freeze frame HD screen shot, the word "NEW" can be read on the stamped bottom.

roygilsing and thd9791 like this.
  3. mortifactor

Thanks mugatu, that's some great info. The clamp tip worked and I have just the right amount of pressure now. No fear or snapping the lever and no risk of the tubes coming loose! Good to hear about the graflex version not mattering a great deal, one less thing to have an aneurysm about :lol

mugatu likes this.
  4. mugatu

Yeah, I've given myself headaches looking for vintage busboard PCBs, vintage 18ga brown wires, Praco flashguns, vintage Lamborghini model wheels, vintage Hind-D model kits, vintage dental expansion screws, etc. etc. Honestly, sometimes this hobby/passion makes me feel like it has to be influenced by the Dark Side, just a little bit.

Just ask my wife:

"You spent HOW MUCH on an old calculator?!? But you already have the same one!"

"No, Honey; the bubbles are different..." Haha, that really happened. And reading it here, I can't help but feel like reason and sensibility would be on her side!

LTsmash1200 and roygilsing like this.
  5. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

thats some great information right there!

- - - Updated - - -

moritfactor i love your "real world weathering"

mugatu likes this.
  6. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We seriously need a book with all of this cool info about every lightsaber compiled together.

roygilsing and mugatu like this.
  7. halliwax

i can't agree more, i edit copy paste it in word pad, and then when i need something "control + f" to try and find it

8. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the t-track weathering... when I finally do my ESB, I'll have to run my Gino grips through that. My ESB is supposed to look beat to hell (my graflex sure is) so that will be great.

9. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yea I'm a big fan of that rock dust style of weathering :)

youre on the right track! I do half-turns at a time with these levers but Andy is right. Remove it from the flash entirely and test for it each revolution. There will be a point you feel a great deal of resistance before the lever is halfway closed. Stop, back up and the position before is the correct one.

i also recommend a V Block to drill those holes!

mugatu likes this.
  10. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Great looking Graflex...
    And welcome to the board.
    I'll subscribe and hope to get some ideas what to do with the Graflex I reserved for ESB/TFA saber. Hoping that they are similar and I only have to switch between glass eye and red button.

11. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

mortifactor's first prop build - Graflex ESB

Now THAT would be awesome! The only problem is that the investigation is still ongoing, the knowledge is still growing, opinions keep changing and it never seems to be finished! Or so it seems.

l33tLX and mugatu like this.
  12. roygilsing

mortifactor Great job on weathering the parts! That's going to be an amazingly beautiful LUKE ESB. But that Graflex seems in MINT condition; looking too good perhaps. What a shame to weather such a beauty!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  13. mortifactor

Thanks guys - the graflex isn't actually as "used" as I'd like haha. I've got another on the way that is a bit more tarnished and beaten that I might use for ESB. I wouldn't weather this one at all, I like its natural subtle weathering (it has a few dings and scratches).

I need to hunt down a second red button at this stage. I can temporarily pinch one from the spare 3 cell I'll have, but I'll have to track down a trashed 2 cell eventually :lol. Or keep the ESB as a provisional TFA sabre for the time being :p.

As for right now, I'm getting pics for clamp placement and will be getting a pop rivet gun tomorrow. Hoping to get a completed sabre within the week.

thd9791 and mugatu like this.
  14. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

By your command :

[​IMG]

:lol

Chaim

15. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good to me! I'm just tired of the current books out there with bad info or horrible photos, when all the correct info is here and could be compiled into an accurate guide for people, instead of trying to sort through hundreds of threads from the last 15 years. An accurate visual dictionary or parts, details etc would just be amazing to have.

Thain, mugatu and Sym-Cha like this.
  16. mortifactor

Haha, I always thought a wiki would be good for a site like this.

Got the second 3-cell now, it has a perfect level of wear and tear on it. I think it's a frankenstein though.. flared pins but with a folmer stamp on the base. The reflectivity of the bottom part is slightly different as well, I think it is made from the parts of multiple 3 cells. The bottom doesn't look like a replica though, it is all dirty inside and looks to have carried a few batteries in its time. Will try and take some pics later.

mugatu, thd9791 and LTsmash1200 like this.
  17. thd9791

My dad just picked up a couple Graflex frankensteins off the bay too. I told him to sniff the metal when he gets them. :lol

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  18. mortifactor

Before I get started with the conversion, here are the pics of the "frankenstein" Graflex in comparison to the other. The one I think is a mix of parts has the flared pins but the base says Folmer Graflex and patent number. It also has the little dimples inside the upper circular clamp like the later Graflex Inc ones.

I'm hoping the Folmer Graflex base on this one isn't a modern replica added to a Graflex Inc 2 cell, it has some fair wear and tear on it.

[​IMG]

Left = Folmer Graflex patent number, Right = suspect mixed parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lip on the one on the right is a bit fatter than the other.

Funnily enough, somebody has pilfered the internal screws holding the plastic innards together.

[​IMG]

I can't unscrew the ones on the complete 3 cell for some reason,

Question - does anybody know what size of screws I could use as a replacement?

Atm it is leading to a gap where the connector pins are, visible on the upper flash gun in this picture

[​IMG]

Hopefully the next time I post I'll have a lightsaber build progress, and won't be showing off a third Graflex :lol

thd9791 likes this.
  19. mugatu

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a 3rd Graflex!

Its hard to say for sure about the bottom tube of the 2nd. Maybe a shot of the slots/notches would help, but even then it may be difficult. scottjua would be good to ask.
    Frankensteined Graflexes are pretty common and not really anything to get too ruffled about provided all the parts are there and they are all real. I'll check to see if I have an extra screw for you. I had a Graflex where the Bakelite portion had a broken lip so I swapped it out with the Bakelite from a 2 Cell. I think I have the screw somewhere.

And, the beaten up finish on the 2nd Graflex top you got is pretty typical for many of them at this point. Doesn't look like any rust that I can see so that is great news.

20. mortifactor

Hey, thanks mugatu, it'd be a pain to find imperial screws of the same type here nowadays.

I've been looking closing at references for lettering etc of known replicas and other 3 cell tube stamps, I think the bottom is a genuine and is just with the wrong top half. Don't mind that at all. Its scratches and internal weathering are consistent with the top too. This beaten one would probably make a better ESB than the other!

mugatu likes this.
  21. mortifactor

Made some progress the last 2 days.

I decided to save the near pristine 3-cell for an ANH,

This ESB one has to look like it went through Dagobah and fell down a hole in Cloud City! I'm slightly disappointed at how good a condition the other one is in. Didn't it get the used future memo!?

Grips

First up, I got a £3 mitre box and clamped a solid object as a "stop" with the cut line coming at 92mm from the stop. This means accurate cuts from only measuring once. No markings needed, just chuck it in and cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new day, with a much better mini tenon saw (known as a razor saw)

[​IMG]

The dremelling of the grips was a tense moment, so no photographs lol. I actually ruined 2 grips, so I took it easy and finished them with a jewellery file. Bit of furniture polish and it looked good.

[​IMG]

This is what I ended up with (note the slightly battered clamp with a small rust outbreak - this is just from the garden!)

[​IMG]

After looking at some pics, including our favourite wampa cave close up, I saw that the grips were misaligned with the clamp, and the d-ring kobold clip was in line with the clamp.

Screws

I notice a lot of people use unpainted screws, but to me, they look black (with a bit of paint scratched off). I tried to put together some images to see what you think. Apologies if this is already common knowledge!

[​IMG]

Silvery screws would just be too * reflective to miss in these pics. I also notice what looks like a small black screw in the place of the original graflex screw (through the clamp, to the top half). Does anybody know what kind of screw this is? Might have to hunt some small machine screws.

Unfortunately I broke 2 2.5mm drillbits, so have to wait for some better ones before I can commence my own *. I did manage to get 2 in place though, and I scratched a bit of paint off and am quite pleased with the effect. Very subtle weathering just to make the whole thing scream "real/used" and not "licensed product!"

[​IMG]

Here is where I am at currently. Will finish the screws tomorrow.

[​IMG]

A nice and dirty Graflex!

The beer tab is staying on for the time being, until nearer TFA. If the rest of the saber is the same for the new film, I'll put back the glass eye and carry it as a TFA saber for the hype. Afterwards its getting the chop!

Tips

If anyone is about to do their own, I'll try to add to the great advice already on the forum
    - Grips + epoxy can be slippery, I had to do 2 at a time (so 3 batches of epoxy) to be sure I got it all right
    - Visible epoxy under grips - I went under the grips with a very long brushed felt tip (sharpie type thing that was super pointy) and managed to colour the crystal looking epoxy excess black. It is now invisible!
    - Hitting your grips with cutlery and scratching down the top ridge gives a satisfying knocked-about appearance.

Hopefully I'll get it 100% finished in the next few days and get some nice pics up. Next up will be ANH! (although I have to acquire a graflex red button first)

22. mugatu

I'm still looking for those interior screws...I haven't forgotten about you!
    Your saber looks excellent. I too noticed the grip closest to the clamp is also not perfectly aligned with it, and thus, the grip is also not aligned with the Kobold clip. That is a very good eye.
    I also like your painted screws idea. I may need to revisit my own Luke ESB soon.
    Keep up the good work.

23. thd9791

This is one of the cleanest (and dirtiest) ESB builds I've seen, wonderful job! nice eye locating that screw in the clamp. I bet they found one and a nut to rest inside to replace the original screw there.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a copy of that bespin R2 shot of the saber?

24. mortifactor

thd9791 likes this.
  25. halliwax

i am loving this build, the grips came out amazing! i really like the black screws as well, i think thats what I'm going to go with. what camera are you using to take the pictures? they are so clear! i love the little weathering attention you gave the kobold dring as well! keep up the great work!

26. mortifactor

Hey, thanks. Weathering is my favourite part, and is also what I like a lot about the stuff in Star Wars. I'm just using an 1100d, but I use an ultrasonic telephoto lens (ef 70-300mm) for some pics, as it is a much better lens and takes a lot better pics than the normal lens that came with the camera. The downside is I have to take the picture from about 20 feet away haha

27. mortifactor

I've got a question for the knowledgeable around here - my ESB saber has the 2 red buttons that are from the folmer graflex (with patent) onward. The non patent folmers have the different button style. What sabers was this earlier button style used on? I haven't found it in any pics I've looked at so far.

Also how do I remove epoxy? :lol I'm only kidding of course.. but if anything comes out of this new t-track revelation from reddit, I might have to switch tracks!

mugatu likes this.
  28. mugatu

None of the screen used saber's used that older style button...except one particular ESB stunt saber.

Im interested in the answer to the epoxy query myself...

thd9791 likes this.
  29. mortifactor

We could probably just use leverage and pry the grips off, it would either take the plating with it or leave some epoxy. Epoxy could be ground down, exposed brass wouldn't be a problem as long as it is covered by new epoxy. Gonna enjoy my "finished" esb for a few weeks before deciding though lol

mugatu likes this.
  30. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Just keep in mind Roger Christian is talking about ANH, which was prepped in 1976 and eventhough the T-strips, as he recalls were on a roll and thus most likely rubbery, ... by the time ESB was made in 1979/80 they could have switched to the use plastic T-tracks, which were replicated from the original stuff ... since Roger also mentioned in a later comment : 'I've got one (G R A F L E X) in my hand now. I'm making some (new lightsabers), exactly as I made my originals - I've had the T-strip made EXACTLY as I put on the first one, and i've had bubble strips made identically to the ones that i used. I'm making a few of those. I don't know what I will do with them.' So if he's still able able to recreate and replicate those exact T-strips now, he most certainly could when they ran out of stock back in 1979/80 ... now whether those ESB were rubbery or plastic still remains to be seen ... though GINO watched some first hand and is adament to claim they were plastic ... and I don't see why I should not trust his excruciating observations :)

Chaim

mugatu, thd9791 and mortifactor like this.
  31. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had to pull up grips on my ANH Luke which was done with super glue. I took dental floss soaked in nail polish remover and worked it under the grips and flossed my way through the glue. Not sure what chemical breaks down epoxy (if any) but though laborious, it was an effective non- damaging technique.

mugatu likes this.
  32. mortifactor

Sounds interesting, some kind of mildly abrasive wire might do it for epoxy. But I'm gonna think like sym-cha here and just leave the ESB unmolested :D

edit: extreme cold pops the epoxy straight off (although I didn't do it in the end)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Sym-Cha likes this.
  33. thd9791

I've been told that heat is what breaks up epoxy!

mugatu likes this.
  34. roygilsing

So, maybe a Luke ANH (and E-11 blaster) should get rubber T-tracks and a Luke ESB should get hard plastic tracks :)
    I happen to have both available!

So I agree on the switch from rubber to plastic. Maybe casted resin, which explains the broken T-tracks (I forgot on which version) and the softened & shortened ribs on two tracks in the Wampa-cave scene.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    mugatu and thd9791 like this.
  35. mortifactor

I think I'll go with rubber on my ANH (luckily I'm yet to start, been waiting for a red graflex button). It would just feel like I'd get more nerd points now that Roger has said rubber. I'll keep the plastic on ESB cus it looks great with a bit of weathering, and funny business with casting etc probably could have happened by ESB.

Roy, I'm way more excited than a normal person should be about the ESB connector in gold/silver, enjoy your holiday with that in mind haha.

36. thd9791

I was thinking about this today - sticking the track in the holes of an E-11 would only make sense if they were flexible. Quick and dirty means they would have just glued them on if they were hard.

and I've always believed tracks were cast during production - exactly for the reasons you mentioned: the wampa cave, broken tracks on the ESB vader hero and the ESB luke hero

mugatu likes this.
  37. mortifactor

Got a quick reference request, can't find it myself at the mo. I'm looking for any screen caps or behind the scenes pics of the removed beer tab in ESB. Just popped mine off and pushed through the little brass remainder, but seeing a little dark hole now makes it feel like something is missing. I'm 99.9% sure the screen used would have also been like this, just after a good pic to prove it to myself (I only have shots from the other side unfortunately). Anyone seen this before? Apologies for the lack of pics, I'm moving house in the next couple of weeks and have been too busy :thumbsdown

38. roygilsing

mortifactor Maybe this one?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434917589.690893.jpg

thd9791 likes this.
  39. mortifactor

Hello!!

Sorry for the long pause. I moved to Japan over the summer (one of my first thoughts was it'd be easier to find an MGC now... priorities haha) and didn't have a moment to photograph the sabre. I finished it a while ago, and am in the stage of eternal tweaks.

Have some pictures

22468820700_e811e615f6_k.jpg

Managed to get an original circuit board from @parfaitelumiere. It is so nice in real life, such a nice texture and lustre on the gold. With the authentic scratches of time as well, feels very nice.

22034731854_d470e60e10_k.jpg

The reference I used for rounded gold fingers is this, although it could also be square. It is a white/gold blue/black dress to me:

19171443366_aeb05979da_b.jpg

The clearest pic I could find! I'm sure square edged would have been used on other sabres, but it felt like taking a punt on the rounded edges. I can actually see how they might be squared in this pic too, so am still looking for a squared finger board to have both bases covered.

22035597833_1ff2337d78_k.jpg

In the above pic you can see I've added a small black screw to the clamp. This is what it looks like on pics, but they're too * blurry to make out the type of screw. I used a cheese head machine screw and a little bolt on the inside. It was a pain to find, eventually got some dead stock on ebay (yay vintage parts! haha) I can't remember the screw size. I'll find out a little later on when I have time to disassemble and measure.

22630729556_812ae6deb9_k.jpg

22630749066_b4f6bfe60d_k.jpg

22656790735_d194c55091_k.jpg

22643246222_9b3b3ef7da_k.jpg

For the t-tracks, I did the stone wash thing but most of it came off via handling. I used some Tamiya weathering master kits.

38_TamiyaWeatheringSetB.jpg

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87080weathering/

It is like make-up, but for boys. Very useful stuff for weathering and making miscellaneous grimy patches, dulling shine, accumulating gunk in nooks and crannies etc. It is like a waxy foundation powder.

I used set A and D. The black part of set D was very good for natural grimey smudges.

Left to do:

Get a real kobold clip!
    Find a closer match to the mysterious black retaining screw that replaces the original silver graflex clamp screw - marked as "small black screw" in the pic below. (The graflex screw painted black still looks a bit big)

18870129105_3080e8a895_b.jpg

Leigh, matty matt, Sym-Cha and 2 others like this.
  40. Solos blaster

Solos blaster Sr Member

I never get tired of seeing Graflex sabers, especially the ESB(my fav)!

oh, and if you get a good line on some MGCs.....;) :lol

41. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: mortifactor's first prop build - Graflex ESB. Allegedly finished.

Looking forward to get a correct ESB graflex bottom and a red button to amke a ESB graflex too.
    It was my first idea, but the board was so difficult to find I finally made a ANH version, even I had several genuine kobold flash reflector holders...
    the other issue is to find a genuine folmer graflex "new york) bottom with correct cap angle.

42. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Re: mortifactor's first prop build - Graflex ESB. Allegedly finished.

That's a mighty fine ESB lightsaber :) ... As for the brown T-tracks found by saberfreak ... Roger mentioned in an interview that he was given a whole roll of the stuff in Singapore if I recall correctly ... so eventhough it's harder plastic if you have enough meters of the stuff you can roll it up . . . so that said I'm not 100% convinced rubbery T-tracks is the way to go for Luke/Darth ANH :wacko . . . I certainly hope that one day we do get the know what was really used, in the meantime let's enjoy the plastic T-tracks provided by GINO and Roy :)

Chaim

43. mortifactor

Re: mortifactor's stuff. ESB Graflex / ESB Stormtrooper Helmet WIP

Just before Christmas I received a lovely helmet kit from RS Propmasters. They didn't have the HDPE kit unfortunately, so it is 1.5mm ABS. Oh well, I guess I will have to live with high quality paint adhesion and forgo the battered TK look :lol

I rested the cap on the faceplate and left it staring at me from the workbench for weeks.. until I decided it was time to stop saving pictures off the internet and start actually doing.

Eyes

Dug the first eye holes by sticking a fresh scalpel blade and rotating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was ready to use power tools here, but found making holes with the blade in combination with scoring far easier and controlled.

1# Drew a conservative eye line.
    2# Scored around line delicately, doesn't take much. Sharp blade is ideal. ABS feels like cutting through chocolate.
    3# Rotated blade to make holes in the corner, scored in between holes and gently cut/snapped away the material.
    4# Tip: Always look at reference pics while doing it!! I imagine it is possible to remove too much or too little and get a weird looking TK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nose/frown/teeth/moustache

I always saw this part as more of a moustache/nose area on the helmets - but on the net it is called a "frown" made of "teeth"

1# Drew a line
    2# Scored and snapped
    3# Tidied with a small jewellery file. A set of them is very cheap. Used to see them in poundland back in the UK - yep £1. Probably in dollar stores, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figured at this stage it was potentially wearable.... first TK helmet experience!

[​IMG]

Ears

Next up, the ears!

1# Cut roughly out with scalpel. The RS ears come pre-marked, but I decided not to trust them.
    2# Took constant refitting and trial and error. Took off millimetres at a time.
    3# Would have been better to do it once I had the cap and faceplate riveted together in their final position. Do this first!
    4#
    I used a rotary tool with sanding drum for this part, marking areas to remove and shaving of minuscule amounts at a time.
    5# I'm not too worried if they aren't a 100% fit, I want an authentic looking end result. As long as they aren't way off.
    6# If a perfect fit is desired, one of these is priceless and most likely necessary: (a contour gauge duplicator - check it out if you want to do an idealised, hero or ROTJ helmet.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  44. mortifactor

[​IMG]

Funnily enough, felt like Kylo Ren in this thing. Sounded like him too.

Just prior to final adjustment below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final rivet placement. Notice the wrong sets of holes on the bottom! Luckily this is hidden by the ear caps.
    I also played it safe with the trimming on the back, I want as many options as possible for ear placement at this stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Leigh and juajn7fernandez like this.
  45. mortifactor

A few minor adjustments and ready for paint. If you see anything awfully wrong with it, please come forward! :lol

Some black cloth shoved in to assess the eye lines.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking about making the brow a little higher.

juajn7fernandez and matty matt like this.
  46. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Looks great.

mortifactor likes this.
  47. mortifactor

Been way too busy at work, can't believe it has been sitting since January! I'm looking for a bit of HDPE from an RS bucket, if anybody has an offcut or anything if they built a kit. I'm trying to get a colour match for an undercoat. Does anybody have any laying around? Or even anything RAL7034 coloured! What about you German guys on here? (I can't get the actual paint shipped to Japan :(, gotta be a swatch)

On the up side, I've managed to find 3 golden MGC mausers while living here, for about $80 a piece. One has been partially sand blasted but it was a little bit rough with the die cast, so am going to lovingly scrub the others until the gold is gone!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  48. thd9791

Nice work on everything! Seriously have to compliment you on the graflex clamp screw. Looks dead on :)

49. jkno

jkno Master Member

The helmet looks great so far!! Will be following!

50. mortifactor

Chugging along slowly.

[​IMG]

Could only find transparent primer. A real pain to ensure I got it all covered.

[​IMG]

Found some easy to get RAL7034! Even if it is a shade or so off, it is close enough for my purposes (a few exposed nicks and scratches)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks all right! I was surprised to see Vallejo doing RAL7034 in such a convenient format. I can't get the spray paint etc shipped from Europe, so this was my best option.

[​IMG]