Limited Run Morita Assault Rifle from Starship Troopers

After two weeks away, I'll be back in the shop again tomorrow. I'm ready to dive back into working on these.

If anybody wants to get in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with payment details.

Just ran across this rifle today; can you send me the price and postage for the kit?

PM Sent.

I've gotten a little carried away casting rifle bodies to finish up:
49023491781_424b5e2101_c.jpg

Here's the stack after a quick pass of sanding and filler along the seam lines:
49023497201_1cbb06f58c_c.jpg

I guess I got a little carried away in that department too.

If you'd like to get in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with details.

Sling-making materials have finally arrived:
49101580513_ea24239df8_c.jpg

So now I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Those of you who opted for fully-finished rifles with slings, be prepared for the final invoice to come soon.

If you'd like to get one of these kits, please post here and I'll PM you with details.

That was fast. Well done.

One minor thing:it looks like you've got the magazine in backwards. Otherwise, That came out awesome.

For those of you waiting on slings and finished rifles, I finally managed to nail these things:
49220630226_7a2c212460_c.jpg

They look a bit weird all shortened up, but they've got every detail I could spot on all of my photos of screen-used props:
49220147488_aa91e58193_c.jpg

I've also painted the final texture on all of the shotgun grips:
49220630266_fe1dca0166_c.jpg

Now I just need to find the exact right metallic look for the muzzles and the actions:
49220854607_e20694ba3f_c.jpg

Final painting and assembly will be happening today and tomorrow. Finished pics soon.

If you'd like to get one of these kits, please post here and I'll PM you with details.

For those of you waiting on finished rifles, I've finally got the base colors down today:
49313816333_094311aa32_c.jpg

49313815308_ea316067e2_c.jpg

49314521697_94a9af4fa6_c.jpg

In the morning I'll be adding a heavy blackwash to help pick out the details and darken the green a lot more. Then it'll be time to do a clearcoat and everything will be good to go.

If anyone else wants one of these rifles, please post here and I'll PM you with details.

Here's a good shot of the before and after weathering:
49320266978_e017f02512_c.jpg

49320970517_8791361ac7_c.jpg

49320259938_a698f1d787_c.jpg

Almost done with the batch:
49320965942_0ed9fe8d7f_c.jpg

If anyone else wants one of these rifles, please post here and I'll PM you with details.

I just received my completed SST Morita rifle, and it is absolutely beautiful!! Perfect cast, craftsmanship, and paint work. Thank you very much for your service on this, and getting it over to me so quickly once it was done! This thing is awesome!!

I just received my completed SST Morita rifle, and it is absolutely beautiful!! Perfect cast, craftsmanship, and paint work. Thank you very much for your service on this, and getting it over to me so quickly once it was done! This thing is awesome!!

I'm glad you like it. If you get a chance, please post some pics.

Sooner or later I'll take some showcase photos of the finished ones I still have on hand. For now, the best I can do is this snapshot from a recent visit to the Scum and Villainy Cantina in Hollywood:
49368099376_f9be575fc0_c.jpg

Next I'll be working on molding the M-3 Mobile Infantry helmet to go with the rifle. Stay tuned for details on that one...

As always, if anybody else wants to get in on this run, please post a comment here and I'll message you with the details.

That's a killer wash technique. Do you mind sharing how it was done? (Unless it's a trade secret of course )

I start by squirting a couple of blobs of black acrylic paint out of the tube onto the prop. Then I use a chip brush dipped in a cup of water to spread it all over the surface. Lastly, I use a rag or paper towel to dab and smear and wipe off anything I don't want to stay on the final piece. It's all pretty straightforward. I go into more detail on this method and many more in the book I wrote. You can pick up a copy here: Make: Props and Costume Armor: Create Realistic Science Fiction & Fantasy Weapons, Armor, and Accessories: Shawn Thorsson: 9781680450064: Amazon.com: Books

If anybody else wants one of these rifles, please post here and I'll PM you with the details.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back