More Obi Cut-away madness from Howard.

Howard

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

Far from finished - but I thought I'd show a couple of progress shots of my latest Obi ANH AFB cut-away.
There's still work to do on the interior of the grip section. As you can see it's a little more complex than the last version.

cut2.jpg

Here's the clamp end. I've managed to fit a lens here this time.
Three 'energy guides' this time - the end of these are 1mm in diameter, the springs behind them 1.5mm.
This section is held by magnets to allow changing of the batteries.

cut3.jpg

As before there will be two crystals - a tapered quartz for the primary, and a cut and polished lab grown blue Tanzanite for the emitter.
These shots remind me I must stain the deck this spring.

I'll update this thread when it's finished in a month or so...

Thanks for looking and thanks Wackychimp for the pic hosting.

Howard.

That's incredible. I didn't see the last version- do you have any wider shots showing the whole piece so far? Thanks for posting this, it looks great.

Absolutely breathtaking :eek

Are you using found parts only or do you have the ability to machine some of the needed parts yourself???

Markus

Thanks guys.

Westies 14 - I don't have pics of the last version, sorry. One pic can be found here:
http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?movie_prop=4420
This is all there is at the moment - I'll post more pics when there's something worth showing. :)

ObiWan 72 - All found parts, worked by hand and polished with a dremel.

Clutch - There will be circuits in the clamp section, linked to the bubble strip.
I like the mechanical look - as the sabers in the original cut of ANH had the spinning blade effect - the gearing here is to suggest the crystal housing/s are rotated this way.

Howard. :)

Howard,

Stunning, as always. Can't wait to see more details. Gladyour box of watch parts hasn't run out yet :lol

It seems only logical that manipulation of the Force would require mechanisms.

db

I've said it before (but maybe not here on the RPF) and I'l probably say it again, your original cutaway is my single favourite fan made item I've ever seen.

This one looks like it'll live up to that quality - fantastic work. :D

Hey - thanks guys. :$
Looking forward to finishing this and moving on to good ol' filling, sanding and painting resin.

KD - many thanks my friend. I'll email you tomorrow...

Howard. :)

I keep forgetting if I've ever posted this... Howard, your cutaways make me think of this, which was one (of SO MANY) of the false leads I chased down re: emitters.

Can't wait for the rest.

KD

Considering how much Luke cut aways have sold for this one should be worth a few bob when finished.

You've got skillz.

sweet.

ever think of doing any other style sabers?

seems like a luke or vader would be easier to work with compared to the obi due to all the funky shapes of the obi.

either way, yeah your last one was awesome, cant wait to see what little differences you do with this one.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back