More Obi Cut-away madness from Howard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jason1976 @ Apr 29 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]1235425[/snapback]</div>
How do you turn it on, and off? It looks great BTW. :)

Jason
[/b]

All will be revealed when it's finished.

Cheers everyone.

Howard.

Small update.

I've been working on the bubble strip control surface and the electronic parts inside the clamp.
It's difficult to find old boards without any English or numbers printed upon them. I found theses boards in an old home phone my dad threw out.
The wires will connect to each of the seven bubbles.

[attachmentid=7885]

Anyone recognise the board in the bottom right of this picture? :D

With the 'Lightguides' removed.
The dark ring is a magnet which holds the 'Lightguide' section in place. This unscrews to access the battery compartment.

[attachmentid=7886]

The whole project should be finished in a week - but I'm sure I've said that before. :)

Cheers.

Howard.

:eek

That is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen... thus far of course so dont screw it up. Just kidding.

Wow. I am blown away.

-Bryan

coolest thing ive ever seen. :D I have been wondering for a while. Are all the external parts machined so there is just half of a grenade, clamp, etc. to begin with, or do you just take an obi saber and cut it in half?

looking good :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthCalibar @ May 10 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1242099[/snapback]</div>
coolest thing ive ever seen. :D I have been wondering for a while. Are all the external parts machined so there is just half of a grenade, clamp, etc. to begin with, or do you just take an obi saber and cut it in half?

[/b]

The parts were cut in half with an X-Acto razor saw.

Here's a small update:

cut1.jpg

The crystal integrity sensors 'A' send information along 'B' back to the crystal control CUP via 'C.'
I know it's all fiction, but I like it to make sense when I build. It gives the model more purpose, in a way.
The PCB I mentioned in my last post comes from an Exactra 20 BTW - just for continuity sake :p

Thanks again for the kind words and thanks to his Wacky the Chimpness for the pic hosting.

Howard. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Howard @ May 11 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]1242667[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthCalibar @ May 10 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1242099[/snapback]

[/b]

The parts were cut in half with an X-Acto razor saw.

Here's a small update:

cut1.jpg

The crystal integrity sensors 'A' send information along 'B' back to the crystal control CUP via 'C.'
I know it's all fiction, but I like it to make sense when I build. It gives the model more purpose, in a way.
The PCB I mentioned in my last post comes from an Exactra 20 BTW - just for continuity sake :p

Thanks again for the kind words and thanks to his Wacky the Chimpness for the pic hosting.

Howard. :)
[/b][/quote]

Sweet, That means its kind of a 2 for 1 deal. Im assuming you save the other half to build another.

Great job so far, keep it up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthCalibar @ May 11 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]1242689[/snapback]</div>
Sweet, That means its kind of a 2 for 1 deal. Im assuming you save the other half to build another.

[/b]

That's right.
This is the remaining half of the first version, which I built a while ago.

Howard.

<div class='quotetop'>(Howard @ May 11 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]1242695[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(DarthCalibar @ May 11 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]1242689[/snapback]

[/b]

That's right.
This is the remaining half of the first version, which I built a while ago.

Howard.
[/b][/quote]

It's great. my friend. :D

X-acto Razor saws are excellent cutting implements, but you might consider getting a Jewelers saw, also called a 'scroll saw'. The blades are designed for cutting metal and don't dull as quickly as X-acto.

Jay

<div class='quotetop'>(Jedi Lawja @ May 28 2006, 07:44 AM) [snapback]1252078[/snapback]</div>
X-acto Razor saws are excellent cutting implements, but you might consider getting a Jewelers saw, also called a 'scroll saw'. The blades are designed for cutting metal and don't dull as quickly as X-acto.

Jay
[/b]
Jeweler's Saws are also called "hobby saws". They're also many types of blades for the saw frame. It takes some practice to get the hang of using them. The key is to have the saw frame level with your shoulders and not to tilt the frame as presure blade makes them snap. They will break very easy when you are not doing it right. But the key is not to "white knuckle it", it is not a mini hacksaw. The blade should be tight and make a ping sound when plucked. The more teeth on the blade the better.

I had posted a compliment, but someone deleted it.

Well, incredible job despite all that.

NM: That was the other thread. Sometimes even a genius brain can be utterly confusticated. And if you happen to be a short-busser, then you're screwed.

Be careful turning this thing on. I wouldn't be suprised if a 2 meter blade of energy actually came out of this and sliced a hole in your unstained deck.. :eek

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back