More eyes for a possible recast determination

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A fellow member has alerted me to a possible recast and I wanted to get some of the expert eyes looking at this too.

First let me say, that I am accusing no one (I don't think this person is a member here) nor do I wish to debate the morality of recasting, I merely want more opinions than my own. Also, this is hard, since 90% of the prop is the base gun.

The gun in question is on the left, while mine is on the right. I have pointed to suspicious areas in red and dissimilar areas in green.

recast01yz1.jpg

What I think matches.
1. I changed the screw on the lever from the orignal that was on the Denix, the gun in question appears to have the same screw, in the same position.
2. I ended my shroud clip where the gun breaks down for ease of casting. On the actual prop it extends toward the trigger more.
3. Shroud shape itself had no clear reference, particularly on the right hand side of the gun, so the shape appears very similar on both for an item which I extrapolated on.

What doesn't seem to match.
1. Deeper notches on the upper rail
2. Geometry on the lower barrel seems "sharper" on mine.
3. Triggerguard is less curved on the gun in question. This could just be how the resin hardened.
4. I also note the lack of lanyard ring on the gun in question.

I understand that by no means am I the only person to produce this prop, just the timing is a little suspicious since this person just bought a kit from me.

I have contacted that person and they assure me that it is from a different source, but I am unaware of any other resin Jayne pistol that has the cylinder free to spin.

Also, this is not related to the other recast thread started today. I am aware of coolmodels and this is not him.

Thanks for looking and I welcome all input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I may be wrong, but before I read your notes I took a look at both and believe it NOT to be a recast of your gun. While there are similarities, there are some structural differences, as well. Perhaps your gun wasused as reference? ...or parhaps certain parts were recast from yours?

I have no expertise with this prop (although I love LeMat pistols), so take this with a grain of salt.

I see additional differences--the form of the hammer spur, possibly the shape of the relief cut on the shroud as well as the shape of the shroud itself (this looks potentially different to me), markings on the right-hand flat of the barrel near the cylinder.

I would say that better photos would be needed to nail this as a recast, and the evidence so far is not strong.

This doesn't look like a recast (probably he have "based" his work on your work for the conversion, but it's just a conjecture...)

I'd also have my doubts on the recasting charge.

You point to the rear of the trigger guard as an area where the two differ, but the front curve also appears to be different. Yours seems to be more flattened than the other.

Also, it looks like the under barrel on the one in question is narrower than on yours.

All in all, I'd say that they were two different pieces.

I think it is a re-cast. If you look at the back portion of the trigger guard it's a bit thicker in the same spots, there are also other small details that seem to be the same (a result of the original casting process perhaps). The deeper notches in the rail might well have been an attempt to change it so it looked less like a recast...or perhaps he thought yours were an inaccurate depth.?

Now I grow more concerned. I was leaning toward not a recast, but this person has been pestering me to obtain a different kit for "display".

But on their Ebay auctions they list one name, when s/he contacts me through Ebay messages they use another name, and in direct emails, they use a third name. Not a good sign if you ask me.

Looks like a recast to me. The trigger guard and other thin parts may not look the same because they are such thin areas, and could be shaped differently for any number of reasons. Was somehow bent before it hardened, was poorly molded, etc. Which could explain the deeper notches, perhaps they were rough and this person had to sand them down to get clean lines.

It seems to me there are too many other small details that match up. The angles of the screw-heads are a big tell for me. Unless they were molded into the denix to begin with. Though if it's anything like a Denix Mauser, then the screws are real.

Hey Jmtwo,
Can you tell us the number engraved on the barrel and on the body of your gun?
(Because if is the same of the other gun is obviously a recasting, even if it looks different)

The thing is, it might be the same number on all the Denix versions of this gun. Not sure they would go to all the trouble of engraving individual serial numbers on a mass produced replica.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back