MorbidCharlie's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Emmet (LEGO Movie)

MorbidCharlie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Edit: Decided to enter Emmet into the RPF Halloween contest for this year! This was my second attempt at building a costume and it turned out better then expected. I was still learning my way around fabrication when I built this last year and made a few mistakes. I coated it in a wood glue that hardened and when even the slightest pressure was applied, it cracked. I also didn't account for ventilation and was overheating the entire day at Dallas Comic-Con when I wore him.

Below is the first photo, showing my progress from the beginning.
IMG_0199.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Emmet and WyldStyle - LEGO movie

I made a Lego costume a few years back (my current avatar), although I hadn't heard of EVA foam or pep files at the time so I used various methods. I agree that the dimensions were the hardest to sort out, particularly the head... human heads are usually more tall than wide while minifig heads are the opposite. I had a tough time finding a happy medium that looked correctly proportioned to the body.

Had some time today and was able to get a couple of more pieces knocked out.
IMG_0200.JPG

Yeah, still thinking out the way the head is going to work. I'm going to have freehand the hair. How did you see out your face?

So far, my sizing has been good. Ran into a snafu with the hips, but that's an easy piece to fix. I want to be more efficient with WyldStyle's sizing, but I know what I did wrong with Emmet. Moving along at a nice pace. No, the trashcan is not part of the build.
View attachment 295303

Re: Emmet and WyldStyle - LEGO movie (Updated 3/8)

Hand test. Has some flex because it's foam so it wasn't uncomfortable for the short time I wore it. I hate taking pictures of myself.
Hand.jpg

Re: Emmet and WyldStyle - LEGO movie (Updated 3/9)

Haven't updated the thread in a bit, but the build is coming along nicely. Will have to redo the forearm to extend it further, but no big deal. Pretty happy with how it's turning out.

IMG_0287.JPG

Re: Emmet and WyldStyle - LEGO movie (Updated 3/24)

This is awesome! Er- I mean "Everything Is Awesome!" I cant wait to see the final product

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie (Updated 3/26)

So, the wife backed out (BOOOOOO!) and now Emmet will be flying solo to Dallas Comic-Con. I corrected the arm and added the test hand for looks. The arm is propped up higher than it will sit once the costume is complete.

1669719_10201894096970194_470244499_o.jpg

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie (Updated 3/27 - the head!)

The hair turned out to be a real pain in the butt for me. I tried making a 3D render I could unfold, but I'm too new to 3D programs and I just got frustrated. I ended up making a dome that would fit over the head and freehanded it. Got the paper mock-up done tonight. Thoughts?
IMG_0292.JPG

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie (Updated 4/1)

This looks awesome! I can't wait to see it all painted up, the proportions looks great!

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie (Updated 4/1)

Brilliant, my son would love this. Great thing is that if you get bored of Emmett you can repaint the body into someone else as legos generally have the same body.

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie DISASTER (Updated 4/5)

So... Titebond is not your typical PVA wood glue. I made the mistake of using it to seal my pieces, and while I thought it would remain flexible after testing, it actually doesn't. It creates more of a shell that does NOT flex. All of my pieces except the torso and head are now ruined because they cracked. So... back to square one after half an hour of rage.

So... Titebond is not your typical PVA wood glue. I made the mistake of using it to seal my pieces, and while I thought it would remain flexible after testing, it actually doesn't. It creates more of a shell that does NOT flex. All of my pieces except the torso and head are now ruined because they cracked. So... back to square one after half an hour of rage.

How large are the cracks? If you're getting hairline spiderwebs in the flexed areas, you should be able to spray plastidip over the pieces to give them a fresh smooth skin. I had this same problem with some of the PVA glue types I've used; I ended up laying on a couple of heavy layers of plastidip, and it sealed in and hid all of the cracking. It also still allowed some degree of flexibility without the cracking reappearing or showing through.

Good luck on this, it's looking great! :thumbsup

Can't keep a good LEGO down! Arms and hands complete after jacking everything up the first time. Every cloud has a silver lining as I was able to correct some design problems from the first go. Partial suit up as well for mobility test. I'll have Emmet done for DCC, assuming I don't screw anything else up.
IMG_0293.JPGIMG_0296.JPG

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie (BACK ON TRACK! Updated 4/8)

So looking at the construction I'm a little stumped. What materials are you making this costume out of?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back