MorbidCharlie's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Emmet (LEGO Movie)

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie - DONE!

The legs come up to my crotch and the belt covers my hips so that I keep that squat look that LEGOs have. They have flip-flops attached at the bottom and are independent of each other and the rest of the suit. Still, since they aren't jointed, I have to do an "old man shuffle" instead of a regular walk.

Re: Emmet - LEGO movie - Pictures from DCC added - "Best Craftmanship Award"!

Wow... what a weekend. To say the costume was a hit would be an understatement. I had no idea how popular it would be and drew a crowd all day. I was in the costume contest and won "Best Craftsmanship".

NGL_17comicconcosplayK_37677371_770977.JPG10403266_10202204918060527_254287247974177051_n.jpg

What kind of foam did you use for the hair? We are making a Emmet costume for me 3 year old.

For the body pieces, I used the foam rolls you can buy at most sporting good stores - it's about 4mm thick. For the hair, I wanted it "thicker" so I used the foam interlocking mats that are 6mm.

Cool, did you just piece it together till you got the dome shape?

Cool, did you just piece it together till you got the dome shape?

Most of the pieces are just foam curved into a cylinder. For the hair, I actually modeled a dome in a 3D program and then unfolded it in Pepakura and freehand the rest.

Looking good! Make sure and leave lots of breathing room in the head. My costume turns into a sauna. I installed a fan in the head.

Thanks for the advice dude, here is what we came up with?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413516212667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413516212667.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 145

amazing work bro! by any chance do you know the exact names of each color spray paint you used on parts of the costume like what type of yellow or orange it is? thanks :)

amazing work bro! by any chance do you know the exact names of each color spray paint you used on parts of the costume like what type of yellow or orange it is? thanks :)

I still have some left over, so yes. I'll get that info for you tonight.

Here you go... all of the spray paints I used.
20141030_220910.jpg

i forgot that i wanted to show you the whole family!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417233251536.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417233251536.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 133

Ha! Turned out great! Good job on the painting - looks real clean.

Really Really cool costume. Love the detail and thank you for showing the work in progress.
Here is what I am interested in making in VERY short order for Planet Comiccon. It is similar but the Kre-O style of mini fig.
Do you have any suggestions on how to do the legs and waist? Compared to the Lego style the upper legs don't have the round hinge instead its a ball joint and the waist/cod piece is wider. Of course the Helmets are going to be the hardest parts.
kre-o figs.jpg

psugorilla - I actually attached the "waist" for Emmet to the torso. For the ball joint legs, you could still make them a ball and be able to slide the leg in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back