MOONRAKER snub nose laser gun

Demetrios2177

Hey, all!

I’ve always been fascinated with the laser gun seen in Moonraker (the ‘good guys’ one rather than the Drax laser pistol), and I’m quite sure that one day I’ll actually build it.

For now, however, I’ve started building a shorter version of the gun from bits and parts that I already had in my boxes; mostly due to the fact that I had a toy Uzi lying around that had a far too small grip. I’ve dremelled that off and glued the remaining body to an airsoft Micro Uzi.

01.jpg 03.jpg
(It's an ugly seam, but I won't bother with it, since it will disappear under the "shark" panels)

As you can see, the forward grip thing is about half the length of the original part, which is good, because, at the moment, all I had to make the nozzle from was a cylinder from a broken airsoft revolver. The original nozzle is wider, I think, so I found that this size fit very well into the overall "shorter than" idea.

04.jpg 06.jpg

After some more dremelling, I managed to insert a sawn-off piece of plastic tubing. To fill the gaps, I’ve been using what I call ABS putty. Whenever there are pieces of ABS plastic that would normally go into the bin, I collect them and dissolve them in acetone, turning them into a black goo that can be used as putty.

It’s quite a toxic endeavour, so I keep my workspace very well ventilated, but the result works well, I think. When the acetone has evaporated, the goo forms a solid chunk of plastic that can be easily sanded into shape. Of course, with such a thick layer, it takes two or three days for the putty to harden thoroughly.

The rest of the build is relatively easy. Since I’ve had it in my mind that I wouldn’t want to buy any new materials for the gun (apart from some spray colour later on), I made the lever thingies that go on the sides of the gun (onto those strange shark shapes) from some old bottle caps that were, luckily, made from styrene. That, some strips of styrene and some clippings from Evergreen did the trick.

08a.jpg 09.jpg

The two round knob things are made from caps of milk packages. The plastic is some hard PVC, so I’ve inserted a styrene strip inside and fixed it with CA glue. Likewise, I CA-glued some more styrene sheet on the tops of the caps to hide the company logo (I have an odd sense of humour, but a laser gun made by ALDI would go too far).

07.jpg

What is next is the sight thing. As you can see, I’ve started on the base of that with more ABS and styrene plastic. The front grille I will probably make from sheet styrene as well, and for the rear bit, I’ll have to rummage through my greeble boxes. I will take several liberties with the sight, as I have with the rest of the gun. It’s a fun build, after many years in which I hadn’t done any scratch building at all.

So far, this is a first impression:

10.jpg

I hope you like it, and, of course, I will keep you updated as the build comes together.

Cheers, folks!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 163
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 08a.jpg
    08a.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Demetrios, great job on the conversion pieces for your version of the Drax Laser pistol snub nose.
If I may...I think the size of your "Shark" panels are too large and overpower the rest of the unit.
Other parts are really good. --Ed

I don't think is it SPAM to find out if this replica project was finished and what the final outcome might look like. The build was so far along - I would hope that it was completed. Any updates? Looked like an awesome concept. I am a Bond Fan and Moonraker was always a favorite.

I don't think is it SPAM to find out if this replica project was finished and what the final outcome might look like. The build was so far along - I would hope that it was completed. Any updates? Looked like an awesome concept. I am a Bond Fan and Moonraker was always a favorite.
Hi!
Kind of you to ask. Unfortunately, I threw the piece away (not before salvaging the muzzle, though) during a bout of depression.
I'll be returning to the idea, however, with an attempt to convert an airsoft Micro UZI into a true snub nose laser gun. The idea is to make something that takes a few design inspirations from the old toy gun (without the front "magazine well"):

15039-4.jpg

Also, I have acquired a cheap full scale airsoft UZI, which I hope to get transformed into a light + sound replica - not 100 % screen-accurate, though, more of the "close enough" type.
I will definitely post updates.
Cheers!

I am glad my post motivated you to engage in another attempt. It was looking very very good - you were so close. I like the oddball additions to any prop collection. The Mini Snub UZI was a great concept. I love the Moonraker Black Laser variations and the Drax pistol conversion/scratch-builds. A new 007 3D AI website popped up with many props rendered in 3D. I have never seen so many props rendered in a 3D reference page. I do not know much about this web site - but it features 007 props from the films by year. About the 007 Series - No AI generated visual over here
m_laser_gun_4.jpg
Best of luck - look forward to seeing your new take on the project.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back