Moonraker Shuttle Model -- Finished!

First pic of course is an overall shot, nearing completion.

Second pic shows some surface detail I've added, and the varying tones of the nose (note the slightly brown tinge of the main part of the nose).

The third pic is a color chip of the Reefer Orange; note how it is slightly lighter in color than my concoction. Now scroll up to the first pic -- if I'd done the bands in the Reefer, it'd have been just about perfect. Though in person, my orange doesn't appear quite as deep or rich as in the photo.

Silly question, is the floquil reefer orange readily available? (I live in the UK ) I'm thinking of making a start on mine now.

BTW your shuttle is looking good.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 18 2006, 09:43 PM
The third pic is a color chip of the Reefer Orange; note how it is slightly lighter in color than my concoction.  Now scroll up to the first pic -- if I'd done the bands in the Reefer, it'd have been just about perfect.  Though in person, my orange doesn't appear quite as deep or rich as in the photo.
[snapback]1188013[/snapback]​

Is the reefer orange you got the water based or thinner based paint?

I got the water based paint and in the jar it looks a lot lighter then your color chip.

I have seen a night and day difference between the same colors in water based and thinner based colors, thus the reason I'm asking.

Lynn

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 20 2006, 07:43 PM
Lynn, mine is oil based.  That may be the issue with yours...
[snapback]1189223[/snapback]​

Oh yeah, that can be an issue.. The difference can give you two totally different colors.

I learned this issue all to well with painting my Boba Fett's red on the ESB helmet, the water based and thinner based colors had two totally differnt colors to them even though they were the same name color.

Lynn

I glued the doors closed...

I generally build my models as if they were filming models, and that way I can cheat around a bit and take shortcuts. ;)

The cargo bay wasn't seen in the film, so mine are closed. However I did install a satellite and the interior carraige to add support.

Also my cockpit is just painted black. No detail inside is discernible on film.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 20 2006, 07:43 PM
Lynn, mine is oil based.  That may be the issue with yours...
[snapback]1189223[/snapback]​

I found the reefer orange on the Testors site in a spray bomb, so I'll go that route.
Lynn

Check this out guys. Same image as earlier, but from a different publication, and seems to be a higher res. LOTS more panel lines visible on this.

space-shuttle003.jpg

Can anyone take screengrabs? I've watched it again just now and there are a few shots which have some clear detail, especially the nose section / cockpit area.

Great pic btw.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back